Waffles vs. Pancakes

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer
Waffles vs. Pancakes

I said no such thing. Waffles are sacred and not a joking matter. 

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by: Christopher on Feb 11 2014 - 8:46am
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Christopher wrote:

I said no such thing. Waffles are sacred and not a joking matter. 

Thank you. I really hate it when waffles are not treated with the reverence they deserve. You get it man, you just get it.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Pancakes are better.

Yeah, I went there.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Here in Minneapolis (and also in Duluth, MN on the Lake Superior shore) we have an extraordinary "alternative" restaurant named Hell's Kitchen, where they make both Pancakes and Waffles with a magnificent cornmeal base.  Mmmm.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

EvanDan55 wrote:

Pancakes are better.Yeah, I went there.

Blashphemer!  Waffles for the win!  See, they even start with W.  W-affles, W-in.  It is NOT a coincidence.  cheeky

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

EvanDan55 wrote:

Pancakes are better.Yeah, I went there.

Fancy AND Smart.

Though I have no idea why you are a fearful leader

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Though I have no idea why you are a fearful leader

My subordinates can and are totally willing to turn on me at any moment. It's been well established in our lore of Team Fancy that, while still being the leader, and I am quite the coward.

"Alright, soldiers! Let's charge into battle! ...But, you know, you guys go first."

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

EvanDan55 wrote:
"Alright, soldiers! Let's charge into battle! ...But, you know, you guys go first."

Praise be to the Hindmost!

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wait, are there people who like pancakes more than waffles?!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

I hesitate to ask this but do you like Waffles more than Pancakes?

Did we just become nemeses?

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

And so, the GTG fell into a heated flame war over waffles and pancakes. Millions died. Some lived, but they were scarred forever.

Never forget: 2/10/14

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

arenson9 wrote:

I consider them pretty much the same thing.  One is easier to cook, the other looks fancy; neither of these is particularly relevant to how they taste.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I see pancakes (English), pancakes (American) and waffles (Belgian) as fairly different things.

And I recommend savoury waffles with cheese and chives in the batter. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

I'm in Team Pancake

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Whole Wheat Pancakes, cheddar cheese, sliced apple, maple syrup, Bacon.

Yum.

Most important meal of the day.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I butter my waffles then top with sugar and cinnamon.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

I see pancakes (English), pancakes (American) and waffles (Belgian) as fairly different things.

What are English pancakes?  I had honestly never imagined there was more than one way of making them.

Quote:
And I recommend savoury waffles with cheese and chives in the batter.

Bleah!  XP

phantaskippy wrote:

Whole Wheat Pancakes, cheddar cheese, sliced apple, maple syrup, Bacon.Yum.Most important meal of the day.

Oh wow.  I'd skip the cheddar personally, but otherwise, my mind is completely blown.

Koga wrote:

I butter my waffles then top with sugar and cinnamon.

Personally (and royally), We Butter the Bread With Butter!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

This is a split topic waiting to happen.

charlotteML

English pancakes tend to be flatter, wider and less fluffy than American pancakes (we don't put in anything that makes them rise, and the batter is thinner), kinda similar to crêpes. They're often served with lemon and sugar then rolled up and eaten. (Although I like to put Nutella on mine)

Julia
Playtester

EvanDan55 wrote:

This is a split topic waiting to happen.

I think it's a miracle it lasted this long! This whole forum is just not foodproof. I vote we refer to the process, in which the mention of a food type results in the derailment of a topic and a consequent seperation from the original thread, as 'banana splitting' (a pretty effective way to end game related arguments and turn them into food arguments.).

I actually think that there is just too much of a quality curve in waffles and pancakes to claim one is better than the other. You might have a go-to preference for either, but I think even a hardcore pancakehead can be temporarily converted into a waffleist when he is confronted with the a high quality waffle and vice versa.

Also, life isn't short enough to justify ready mix. Just needed to be said.

Semper ludens.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Julia wrote:

I  actually think that there is just too much of a quality curve in waffles and pancakes to claim one is better than the other. You might have a go-to preference for either, but I think even a hardcore pancakehead can be temporarily converted into a waffleist when he is confronted with the a high quality waffle and vice versa.

Ha. You mean wafflers...

"Waffles are just pancakes with syrup traps."  Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Julia
Playtester

"I am the Waffler. With my griddle of justice, I BASH the enemy in the head, or I burn them like so! - I also have some truth syrup, which is low-fat."

Semper ludens.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

charlotteML wrote:

English pancakes tend to be flatter, wider and less fluffy than American pancakes (we don't put in anything that makes them rise, and the batter is thinner), kinda similar to crêpes. They're often served with lemon and sugar then rolled up and eaten. (Although I like to put Nutella on mine)

What Charlotte said. They are made with a thin batter of flour, eggs and milk (similar to the one you'd use to cover the fish for your English-style fish and chips) cooked with a little oil over a fairly high heat. They are a weird combination of crispy and golden and slightly almost rubbery and flexible, and they are basically vehicles for the filling (like a tortilla I guess, except both savoury and sweet fillings are common). Not at all fluffy and cakey like American ones, which are more like our griddle cakes or drop scones. Completely different animal. 

It's traditional to eat them on Shrove Tuesday because they were originally a way to use up all the "forbidden" foods you weren't going to eat during Lent. We call it Pancake Day now, and often people only eat pancakes on that day for no real reason that I can see. 

I made some for lunch today after reading this thread. One with cheese and chives, one with tomatoes, oregano and feta, followed by a couple with lemon juice and sugar. The dog got one with peanut butter and a touch of Marmite. Mine were pretty good. I don't know about the dog's, but it can't have been horrible judging by the speed at which it disappeared. 

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

We have a place in Pittsburgh that sells the English style of Pancakes, It's a political stop for Presidential Cantidates even.

If you ever end up in Pittsburgh go to Pamela's Pancakes.  They are worth it.

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Flapjacks.  I imagine it's the mana the jews ate in the desert for 40 years.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Krayden006 wrote:

Flapjacks.

And there's another of those transatlantic differences. US flapjack is a pancake. UK flapjack is a baked oat bar made with butter and golden syrup. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Krayden006 wrote:
Flapjacks.

And there's another of those transatlantic differences. US flapjack is a pancake. UK flapjack is a baked oat bar made with butter and golden syrup. 

Sounds good too.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

What the heck is golden syrup?  Is that your weird British name for honey or something?  :P

charlotteML wrote:

Yum, crepes.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

From Wikipedia: Golden syrup is a pale treacle. It is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid.

A bit like molasses, but lighter and not so strong tasting, less bitter. It's delicious. We use it in baking or for making toffee, and it's also good drizzled over things like pancakes, à la maple syrup. Steamed sponge cake with syrup on the top served with custard is a very English dessert, and very tasty it is too. 

Apparently it's hard to find in the States but it's used in Louisiana Cajun cooking. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Silverleaf wrote:
inverted sugar

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

There are also waffles (Scandinavian) which taste completely different.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Also lots of different kinds of European pancakes. A favourite of mine is a Russian pancake that I can't remember the name of, that's made with cottage cheese. Yum. I make them with lemon zest and raisins. 

Damn it, Ronway!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

My partner and I have daydreamed of opening a "House of Pancakes that are actually International", where we would serve American pancakes, Dutch stroopwafels, Chinese scallion pancakes, French crepes, and so forth. I was not aware than English pancakes were savory.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

dpt wrote:

My partner and I have daydreamed of opening a "House of Pancakes that are actually International", where we would serve American pancakes, Dutch stroopwafels, Chinese scallion pancakes, French crepes, and so forth. I was not aware than English pancakes were savory.

Well they aren't sweet. They are perfectly happy with either sweet or savoury fillings, but I'd say that sweet fillings are more common.

Damn it, Ronway!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I, for one, have never had a savoury filling in a pancake, only sugar, honey, golden syrup or other equally bad-for-you-but-oh-so-tasty flavouring thingys. The savoury aspect just isn't appealing to me.

*relevant to Silverleaf's comment because I live in England

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Matchstickman wrote:

I, for one, have never had a savoury filling in a pancake, only sugar, honey, golden syrup or other equally bad-for-you-but-oh-so-tasty flavouring thingys. The savoury aspect just isn't appealing to me.

It's only like having Yorkshire Pudding with your Sunday roast. Not that a Southerner like you would understand yorkies properly anyway...

Damn it, Ronway!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I love yorkshire puddings, I hate roast, I'm sure it has nothing to do with me being Southern, just that I'm me (and weird).

Also, I hesitate to admit this but I am an Englishman who hates tea. It is my secret shame.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Silverleaf wrote:
Also lots of different kinds of European pancakes. A favourite of mine is a Russian pancake that I can't remember the name of.

I hope I will someday get the chance to try a Russian hamburger at a place in St. Paul....

Also, assuming my current financial crisis gets sorted, I would totally eat at a HOPTAAI.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Matchstickman wrote:

just that I'm me (and weird).

Seconded!

I may not be a englishman, but I don't liek tea either

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The name "invert sugar" is a chemical reference - in the process of making it, the optical rotation of the solution changes.

As for me, I love both pancakes and waffles, but have a particular weakness for French Toast, as I had a really hard time getting it when I grew up.

Also, I grew up learning that the difference between a flapjack and a pancake was that several pancakes would fit onto the bottom of the skillet, while a flapjack covered the whole bottom.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

jffdougan wrote:

The name "invert sugar" is a chemical reference - in the process of making it, the optical rotation of the solution changes.

I got that from the Wikipedia page, I just thought it was a funny image.  I'd rather have had a picture of a commercial sugar cylinder turned on its top, but my patience failed me, so I just took a pic from the first page of Google search, flipped it upside down and put it back up on my Flickr.  Don't ask me why I had nothing better to do for that five minutes....

Quote:
Also, I grew up learning that the difference between a flapjack and a pancake was that several pancakes would fit onto the bottom of the skillet, while a flapjack covered the whole bottom.

Nice definition, but I guess it really depends on how big your skillet is.  (I'm pretty sure ours is square, which makes me really want a flapjack made on it.)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

jffdougan wrote:

As for me, I love both pancakes and waffles, but have a particular weakness for French Toast, as I had a really hard time getting it when I grew up.

Opposite here, We had French Toast all the time, but the first time I had really good Waffles was when I learned to make them myself.  Once you get a good recipe down it's all about the toppings, and that's when the fun starts.

My favorites are the aforementioned Pancakes with cheese appples and bacon, Blueberry Pancakes with crushed raspberries and whipped creme, and if you can get really fresh berries waffles with fresh berries are the best, it doesn't need anything else.  I don't go much past syrup with French Toast, a good Maple syrup goes a long way.

You can do Chocolate with French Toast though, it works better than Pancakes or Waffles (unless it is Ice Cream and Waffles)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Am I right in thinking savoury French toast isn't really a thing in the US?

Damn it, Ronway!

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Not that I've ever heard, though I'm no expert.  The french toast recipie I know of involves cinnamon, which is pretty much exclusively used in sweets.  (And breakfast is normally the only meal in which sugar isn't restricted to the desert course, barring the occasional brown-sugar glaze on a baked ham, or pizza with pineapple on it.)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I totally use cinnamon in savoury dishes quite often. It's quite common in Greek cuisine, for example - a good moussaka should definitely have cinnamon. Most of my (Indian-type) curries/rice dishes and pretty much all of my Chinese dishes also have some.

I'm a big fan of cinnamon.

But anyway, we totally do savoury French toast here. It's often referred to as "eggy bread" but it's the same thing, just without the sugar/syrup/cinnamon.

And now I'm thinking about Welsh rarebit. Which is delicious. And now I'm hungry!

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

What goes into a savory french toast?  Would love to try it.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I just put butter on my waffles and pancakes.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Am I right in thinking savoury French toast isn't really a thing in the US?

I think the montecristo sandwich is the only savory use of French Toast I've ever seen here in the state. 

I love those things

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

OMG, monte cristo.....so good.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Sourdough pancakes with maple syrup and butter. Bacon to the side, and coffee. Better than crushing your enemies, and seeing them driven before you.

I make a bread pudding with cinnamon and a little sugar. My kids undersand it is my lazy way of cooking French Toast.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Pages