Last post
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies
Two Countries Divided by a Common Language

Split from this thread: https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/beacon-5058

Foote wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
My friend can deadlift 90kg. She weighs 60kg, and looks like she might break if you look at her too hard. I try not to annoy her...

Speak American please

I'm afraid I'm not fluent in American, and in fact barely remember any of it from my schooldays since I've had little chance to use it - we Brits are culturally obliged to communicate with foreigners exclusively by speaking loudly, repeating ourselves even louder, missing out words, expansive and confusing hand gestures, and invading their country.

But hey, let's give it a whirl.

"My friend... you know friend?" *points at self* "She small. Small. SMALL. Like little girl. LITTLE." *indicates height of said friend, then mimes rocking a baby* "She same as..." *aside, to companion* "What do Americans measure weight with? Handguns? Cows? Skeins? I don't bloody know, do I?" *smiles patiently at confused foreigner* "Same as five, FIIIIVE," *shows hand* "HUNDRED. HUN DRED. Burger. You have burger in America? Yes?" *rubs stomach* "Burger good! We like burger! So she five hundred burger, but she get SEVEN AND HALF HUNDRED burger! Many burger! Friend strong, good friend. STRONG." *raises fist to sky* "Oh bugger it, this isn't working. He's no idea what I'm saying at all. That's the American education system for you, bless them. They think they can run their country themselves, aren't they sweet?

Let's find a pub. You know pub? You tell us where pub? PUUUUB. Drink beer? Yes, puuub. Thank you. We friend now. Me buy drink you?" *shakes hand vigorously*

"Wait a minute, this beers's freezing, and gassy, and doesn't taste of anything! Me sorry, me invade America now, teach you make beer like English." *invades country*

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Edited by: Paul on Apr 3 2014 - 1:38pm
Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Foote wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
My friend can deadlift 90kg. She weighs 60kg, and looks like she might break if you look at her too hard. I try not to annoy her...

Speak American please

I'm afraid I'm not fluent in American, and in fact barely remember any of it from my schooldays since I've had little chance to use it - we Brits are culturally obliged to communicate with foreigners exclusively by speaking loudly, repeating ourselves even louder, missing out words, expansive and confusing hand gestures, and invading their country.But hey, let's give it a whirl."My friend... you know friend?" *points at self* "She small. Small. SMALL. Like little girl. LITTLE." *indicates height of said friend, then mimes rocking a baby* "She same as..." *aside, to companion* "What do Americans measure weight with? Handguns? Cows? Skeins? I don't bloody know, do I?" *smiles patiently at confused foreigner* "Same as five, FIIIIVE," *shows hand* "HUNDRED. HUN DRED. Burger. You have burger in America? Yes?" *rubs stomach* "Burger good! We like burger! So she five hundred burger, but she get SEVEN AND HALF HUNDRED burger! Many burger! Friend strong, good friend. STRONG." *raises fist to sky* "Oh bugger it, this isn't working. He's no idea what I'm saying at all. That's the American education system for you, bless them. They think they can run their country themselves, aren't they sweet?Let's find a pub. You know pub? You tell us where pub? PUUUUB. Drink beer? Yes, puuub. Thank you. We friend now. Me buy drink you?" *shakes hand vigorously*"Wait a minute, this beers's freezing, and gassy, and doesn't taste of anything! Me sorry, me invade America now, teach you make beer like English." *invades country*

I think I just died laughing

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:
I'm afraid I'm not fluent in American, and in fact barely remember any of it from my schooldays since I've had little chance to use it - we Brits are culturally obliged to communicate with foreigners exclusively by speaking loudly, repeating ourselves even louder, missing out words, expansive and confusing hand gestures, and invading their country.But hey, let's give it a whirl."My friend... you know friend?" *points at self* "She small. Small. SMALL. Like little girl. LITTLE." *indicates height of said friend, then mimes rocking a baby* "She same as..." *aside, to companion* "What do Americans measure weight with? Handguns? Cows? Skeins? I don't bloody know, do I?" *smiles patiently at confused foreigner* "Same as five, FIIIIVE," *shows hand* "HUNDRED. HUN DRED. Burger. You have burger in America? Yes?" *rubs stomach* "Burger good! We like burger! So she five hundred burger, but she get SEVEN AND HALF HUNDRED burger! Many burger! Friend strong, good friend. STRONG." *raises fist to sky* "Oh bugger it, this isn't working. He's no idea what I'm saying at all. That's the American education system for you, bless them. They think they can run their country themselves, aren't they sweet?Let's find a pub. You know pub? You tell us where pub? PUUUUB. Drink beer? Yes, puuub. Thank you. We friend now. Me buy drink you?" *shakes hand vigorously*"Wait a minute, this beers's freezing, and gassy, and doesn't taste of anything! Me sorry, me invade America now, teach you make beer like English." *invades country*

You win. Everything.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I am proud to come from the same country as you.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Mmmm... Burgers... I know what I am going to have to lunch!

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

Wow, Silverleaf has just given me flashbacks to every family holiday I've had.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf, I have to say that, as an American proponent of the metric system, I was going to tell you not to give in to Foote's request.

I'm so glad I didn't!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Foote wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:

Speak American please

Ohh, that was brilliant :D  Reading that was a good way to start the day.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Much lol here - I think Silverleaf just won the Internet or something :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

It's pretty much exactly how my dad talks to foreigners.

He hasn't invaded anywhere in a while though. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Your father sounds like a wise and enlightened man

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

"Do we suppose Beacon has these kinds of interactions with the English?" Reckless asked nervously trying to get back on topic.

The derailing post in question was quite funny, though!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

@Silverleaf: Bravo my dear. Bravo

*standing ovation*

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

@ silverleaf

That was fantastic.

boxwood
Playtester

That was amazing. But there's no need to invade, we're working on the beer problem.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Work twice as hard!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

Work twice as hard!

That's what the conquered people do.

Edwin

Best thread retitle ever.

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

That was excellent, SIlverleaf!

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange