The Sentinels Promos - Mix and Match?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
MCPooge
The Sentinels Promos - Mix and Match?

I just have a quick question about the new promo character cards for The Sentinels.

Are they intended to be used as an "all or nothing" sort of thing, or can they be mixed with the original?

i mean, obviously I can do whatever I want in the safety of my own home, but I was wondering about the intention.

thanks!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I think I recall previously reading on the forums that they can be mixed but the intention is to play them as a set for reasons of balance.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:
Sentinels promos can be mixed and matched, because regardless of what I say here, people will certainly mix and match them, so they should all work together. That said, there is better synergy between keeping the teams together (see Mainstay and The Idealist).

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also, thematically it wouldn't make sense for them to be mixed up, but yeah, obviously we can change them up if we want to...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Hm... I'm very curious how that will work if implemented in the videogame

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I imagine the video game they will play as a set, because that is easier and also how Christopher intended them to play.  The quote Pydro posted is from playtesting, because we needed to make sure they weren't game breaking if mixed.

My personal favorite team is New Mainstay, Idealist and Writhe and original Dr. Medico.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Is there any fundamental reason why we couldn't mix multiples of the same Sentinel? Say, just for the sake of argument...promo Mainstay, standard Mainstay, Writhe, and Dr. Medico? I realize that the team isn't really the same in that case, but the rule we know is that multiple copies of the same DECK are not allowed. I don't have the Sentinels setup card with me; does it specify each member by name?

When fighting La Capitan, who knows what temporal shenanigans might result!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Thematically is the main reason I can think of for why they can't be mixed as long as you have one of each of the four unique members. Though I imagine in play testing these groups were tested to be balanced themselves and not a mix of them.  

Edited

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

The setup card says:

At the start of the game, put the character cards for Dr. Medico, Maintay, The Idelaist, and Writhe into play, active side up.

Shuffle the hero deck and draw 4 cards.

Also, in your example of having multiple Mainstays, this would mean any card that refers to Mainstay would refer to both. Both would get the bonuses from Durasteel Chains and both would deal damage when Good Hero - Bad Hero is played. So there are some serious balancing issues with having multiple cards with the same name in play when other cards reference that name.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Gotcha!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Super Sentinels! Play with all eight!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ameena
Ameena's picture

If you played with two of the same Sentinel you'd also negate any cards that mentioned the missing Sentinel - say, as in the example, you had Writhe, Mainstay, and both Medicos, you'd lose out on the effect of any card that mentioned the Idealist (or gained bonus damage through her or something). Possibly balanced out by getting double the bonuses from whichever Sentinel you had two of? :D

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Phantaskippy said: a bunch of stuff

That's interesting... That's almost the exact opposite of my favorite team. I prefer new Medico and Idealist, Old Mainstay, and I super don't care about Writhe. I only need him alive for his amazing passives. I never, ever, EVER use his powers. I just never see the NEED to.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Promo Writhe has a situational power, but it's really good when it is useful. It counters Dawn. It's also good against characters that can bring targets back from the trash (Matriarch and the Mask/Cohorts, La Capitan and her boat, The Chairman and his thugs, etc)

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Phantaskippy said: a bunch of stuff

That's interesting... That's almost the exact opposite of my favorite team. I prefer new Medico and Idealist, Old Mainstay, and I super don't care about Writhe. I only need him alive for his amazing passives. I never, ever, EVER use his powers. I just never see the NEED to.

Unless you are facing a lot of AoE damage the Sentinels last quite a while before being the target of highest HP damage, they do eat a lot of lowest.

Original Medico can actually heal non-sentinel heroes so you can avoid the Sentinels having to tank, and also keep your lowest alive in bigger chunks than 1 healing.

New Mainstay is awesome because the irreducible damage effect doesn't have to deal damage to trigger, and thus let's you one shot low HP targets through reduction, it is a 2 damage base power with an awesome bonus thrown in.  It stomps old Idealist's power.  Also Mainstay is the only Sentinel with a static damage increase.  It makes sense.

I was wrong on Writhe, I use original Writhe, I was thinking Adamant Writhe had the higher HP, I use the higher HP Writhe for his redirection, although there are matches I would take new Writhe because the situational aspect is in play (looking at you La Capitan and Chairman)

T.K. Thump vs. Block is the real decision.  I prefer the reductino on the damage dealer over protecting the Sentinels a bit.  Block for me is mostly a card for trying to -2 damage taken tank with Mainstay, and I'm not a big fan of that.  I prefer Medico and Idealist to help a hero with higher HP tank, but mostly I don't set up a game for tanking, I find it much more fun to race the villain to the death than to set up a long game, I also find that you win much more that way.

So in the end "Idealist, I choose you!!" (seriously, T.K. Thump sounds like a Pokemon attack), and because I choose T.K. Thump over Block I prefer Old Medco and new Mainsay.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, but Block/Thump + Chains and Human Shield against single-target enemies makes them an AMAZING damage soak.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Yeah, but Block/Thump + Chains and Human Shield against single-target enemies makes the whole game boring.

Fixed that for you.

But no, you are right, they can get ridiculous.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

It can be necessary with some villains. Progeny, for instance. Or Plague Rat. In fact, that team is one of my favorite heroes for him, without the super-cheese-fest that is Fixer and/or Ra.

-- Trajector

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

On the Sidekick app you, can't mix and match. I'd say that's as clear a rule call as if it were in the video game.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Except we have Word of Christopher to contradict that.

The Sentinels can be mixed and matched.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Also, I am pretty certain you can mix and match in the Sidekick. You just have to add the desired promos in like you would add any other target. At least that's what I recall reading from MigrantP somewhere. i do not own it so I cannot speak from experience.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Ronway, you are right. In hero selection, you are just given the choice of "The Sentinels" and "The Adamant Sentinels". But, if you remove them as you would a non character hero target, you can add in either version of each character.

Although a LIMITLESS amount. I have 5 Mainstays right now, and 1 Adamant Mainstay.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

For what it's worth, Sentinels Sidekick has very little to do with the rules of the game, and is in no way a reference for anything.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of digital tabletop games & apps like SotM: The Video Game and Bottom of the 9th