The Obligitory Holiday Thread

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture
The Obligitory Holiday Thread

Something something Merry Christmas... Something something, Happy New Years. I probably missed something.

What kind of traditions do you lot have Chirstmas/New Years. Our family has one meal on Christmas Eve and one on Chirstmas. Both relating to the heritage of one side of our parents family

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Edited by: VisforYoshi on Dec 24 2015 - 10:24am
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Holiday wishes back at people who view this thread. No holiday wishes at people who did not view this thread.

What traditions do we have? None. We do the presents and decorations but that's about it. I don't even like Christmas Dinner!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Happy Holidays!   I'll wish Happy Holidays even to those who don't view this thread.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Growing up Jewish, the closest I had to Christmas traditions was to go see a movie and get Chineese food, since everything else was closed.

Since marrying a Christian, our Christmas tradition became to travel to her parents' house and celebrate with family: A big mean, that served as leftovers for most of the rest of the week, plus, when our niecephews were little, opening presents from under the tree.

Her family's get togethers have moved to the summer, though, now, so we're left to create new traditions. So far our Christmas tradition has been to go see a Star Wars movie two days before Christmas with plans to see it again on Christmas day.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Mezike
Mezike's picture

My daughter's birthday is on the 23rd so we have started celebrating her half birthday so that it doesn't get overwhelmed with all the excitement over Christmas; and as we want a quiet, calm Christmas Day we now have family over on the 23rd for the big roast dinner and they open the presents we are giving them. It worked really nicely so I guess this is our new tradition now!

looking forward to tomorrow as it will be the first time in years I can relax and not be in the kitchen all day!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Merry Christmas to all.

We celebrate a lot at Christmas time, but mostly the idea that giving to each other is the most important aspect of our humanity, spiritual or otherwise.

So be good to each other, and find some joy in each other, as Solomon wrote:  

Go, eat your bread with joy and drink your wine with a merry heart, because it is now that God favors your works.  At all times let your garments be white, and spare not the perfume from your head.  Enjoy life with the ones you love, all the days of your life granted to you under the sun.

You are a great group of people and I am blessed to know you.

Animus
Animus's picture
Playtester

Happy ChristmasKwaanzaHunnukahFestivus everyone!

As an adult, I only have two traditions: Listening to Christmas music and watching a geek movie. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, we did the usual thing of getting up and opening the prezzies first. Then we did not-very-much while Dad cooked the dinner, then after dinner we played some games. A friend brought round a card game called Cards Against Humanity which I'd heard of but had no idea what it was about - I'm guessing that there are at least a few people here who have probably played it, this being a gaming forum and all. I wonder how wrong it would be to say that it was really fun and we all had a great laugh playing it and want to play it again :D Anyway, mid-game we took a break of an hour to watch Doctor Who, then got back and finished the game, had our Christmas tea of nommy sandwich thingys and cakes and biscuits and that kind of thing. And now I'm on my computer sorting out my forums as I haven't been online all day ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Our Christmas traditions (atheist family but we celebrate in a cultural kind of way): hot turkey sandwiches the evening of Christmas Eve, present-opening around midday Christmas Day, big turkey lunch about 2 (usually turkey, pork, mash, roasted potatoes, pigs in blankets, stuffing, various steamed veggies, roasted parsnips, Yorkshire puddings, gravy, cranberry sauce, followed by Christmas pudding, cheesecake, and whatever desert I feel like making). Then I bully family into playing a few board games. Boxing Day we eat cold meats, salad, and baked potatoes. Then my parents go to the Carary Islands and I take leftovers home.

Also my brother and I gently irritate each other and make each other laugh, and I prevent mini-arguments between him and my parents about a hundred times over the holiday.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Merry Christmas!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Aaand Happy New Year from the other side of the pond!

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Happy New Year here in the US for those in EST. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Happy new year to all!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Happy New Year!!!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I hope everyone had a wonderful celebration of the end of Earth's arbitrarily-designated solar cycle! Best wishes for our next trip around Sol!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)