The Mega-Unlock Challenge

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
-metablender
The Mega-Unlock Challenge

As of tonight I have completed the criteria to unlock La Comodora: Curse of the Black Spot. All that leaves me is a penultimate Freedom Five match against Progeny for their OblivAeon related variants and the followup criteria for Completionist Guise. As I worked on completing unlock challenges for SotM, starting with Villains and then Heroes, I often looked for overlapping criteria to unlock as many Heroes as possible per game, often to unusual setups requiring some resets (like the time I tried for Dr. Medico: Malpractice and Blood Mage Lifeline at the same time, making for a complicated team game). The Sentinels Digital variants page was invaluable for this effort.

I figured these methods would make for an interesting thought experiment (or for anyone looking for an extra challenge for the digital app if they are familiar with the game). Given what we know about each character's unlock criteria and ideal game progression, what's the largest number of variants one would be able to unlock from one game? Similarly, if you could always maximize the number variants unlocked per game, what's the fewest amount of games one would theoretically need to get every variant from a fresh account? What would some of these games look like?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I think you can do five of the Freedom Six at once, after completing the initial step. It's been a while, so I might be foggy on the details, but I know there's one team that works with.

And of course, that doesn't include potential villain variant unlocks.

NyxFSSD

Oh hey, a thing I've looked at a number of times and need to get back to. I've done a few unlock runs where I'm trying to maximize unlock efficiency, and I'd started working on a list of games to play. For a quick estimate at the highest number of unlocks in a single game, I'd probably say 9? You could get F6 and Rook City Wraith, F6 and Super Scientific Tachyon, F6 and Termi-Nation Absolute Zero, F6 and GI Bunker, and F6 Unity in a single game, though good luck with getting TN AZ at the same time (theoretically possible, but not something I'd look forward to doing in the midst of everything else going on in that game). I could post my current partial list if I find it, if you're interested.

gossamerica2

Back when I was still unlocking variants, I thought about this, and considered making a spreadsheet with a colum for various categories -- required villain (if any), required environment (if any), required win/lose (if any), etc.  But since I was so far along, it stayed as a thought experiment and I never did anything with it.  I think I did manage to unlock the Freedom Five variants all in the same game, though.

-metablender

With the Freedom Five variants unlocked in a game vs Progeny, I just now wait on Minting a Weekly One-Shot to unlock Completionist Guise.

That match was the only time I needed a spreadsheet to keep track of all the FV unlock criteria. FV Wraith's is the easiest, almost unessecary to track besides making sure she plays Trust Fund three times, which gets her 3/5ths of the way to her 20 card draw requirement. AZ and Bunker were the slower ones to unlock.

I would be interested in whatever type of information you've compiled, NyxFSSD and gossamerica2, in regards to making an unlock chart to note any overlaps. As someone who has constructed his own art/flavor text and game text spreadsheets of the whole game for personal study, I've thought of making a similar chart. I wonder what the best way to array Hero, Villain, and Environment requirements along with specific criteria to best highlight potential overlaps.

gossamerica2

-metablender wrote:
I would be interested in whatever type of information you've compiled, NyxFSSD and gossamerica2, in regards to making an unlock chart to note any overlaps. As someone who has constructed his own art/flavor text and game text spreadsheets of the whole game for personal study, I've thought of making a similar chart. I wonder what the best way to array Hero, Villain, and Environment requirements along with specific criteria to best highlight potential overlaps.

I hadn't actually done anything about this other than think about it. But darnit, this discussion made me want to do something about it. So below is a link for the spreadsheet that I have started filling out (but I'm not done yet; 42 variants to go). You should be able to leave comments if you see any problems or have suggestions.

I hope my abbreviation for things makes sense to others. For example, OmC means cosmic Omnitron, Om(R) means regular Omnitron, OmX is Omnitron-X; Ta* means any Tachyon, etc.

Here's what's in each column, in order:
* A: game reference number. No chronology here, just going down the list at https://sentinelsdigital.com/variants.
* B: the specific variant that will be unlocked by completing that game; if a variant requires multiple games, only the last one gets anything in this column.
* C: Win/lose requirement
* D: Which villain(s)
* E: Which environment
* F: Which hero(es)
* G: Any requirements for/against incapactiation
* H: Prerequisite games for the unlock. For example, part of the chain to unlock OmU requires beating OmC, but to do that, you have to unlock OmC first.
* I: Any specific conditions. If it's simple, I list details, otherwise, just an indication that something special needs to happen.
* Remaining columns are for tracking games' compatibility with each other. For each of the conditions for the new line I'm adding, I see which ones I can eliminate easily (prerequisites, different villain, etc.), then fill out the rest.

Once I finish filling out all of the lines, here's how I think I'll proceed:
* Trace the lines of prerequisite chains to find game sequences that MUST happen. If I can get any of them to connect together, great. Not sure yet the best way to do this other than on paper. (The Freedom Five chain is going to be a beast, since the prerequisite games require variants).
* Starting at the BOTTOM of the longest chain, see what other unlocks fit within whatever is *required* for that game (for example, the final Freedom Five game requires the F5 heroes; do they have any other variants that could be unlocked the same game?), and then what *could* fit with other options (e.g., if all heroes aren't specified, which others would fit in there?
* Work my way up the chains to see how many things I can squeeze into each game. There will be some repetition, to address the two questions that might compete with each other: the most variants that could be unlocked in a single game vs the fewest games required to unlock everything.
* Once all of the "required" game chains are filled out, then it becomes a game of mix-and-match with whatever is left.

There are a few questions I have about minutiae that I'll have to look into.
Sub question: how many could be unlocked in a game of Oblivaeon...?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nadoq6fIGRgbNY9NSvSwwyfgnyYRMpbq...

gossamerica2

I finished filling out all of the lines showing each unlock game, and I think I have prerequisite chains done in a different tab.  Time to start filling in from the end.

Obviously, Completionist Guise is last, and nothing else can piggyback on that one.  (Though, arguably, you could unlock some of the other variants in the same Weekly One-Shot (to finish unlocking them all), then do the special form, then win, but that's too much of a wild card to consider, so let's not bother even looking at it.)

Before that is the F5 game and 3 prerequise losses (most of which aren't compatible with other unlocks), plus the unlocks before them.  Time to start matching things up.

-metablender

Holy crap that is a lot of detail! Very well done, gossamerica!

The number of variants you could unlock during OblivAeon is an interesting question as well. Assuming any prerquisites were out of the way (like other character variant unlocks) most characters with unlock conditions not requiring specific villains could be viable in OA. There's so much to keep track of in that mode that getting unlocks as well sounds like a hardcore challenge.

gossamerica2

Hmmm, ObvliAeon is interesting.  Obviously, any unlock that requires a specific villain would be out (which is more than half of them).  I assume that a "Win" would work the same.  I'm not sure how environments would work -- do you have to have been in that environment at some point, or the whole time, or just when the unlock condition happens?  How about unlocks where specific heroes are required or forbidden?  Do they apply only at the time of when the unlock would happen, or the whole game (at least up to that point)?  I'm not going to put much thought into that without some official ruling on how things would work.