The Letters Page! Episode 18 Discussion (Unity)

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
The Letters Page! Episode 18 Discussion (Unity)

It'a a bot-tastic episode this week, with everyone's favourite Technopath, Unity!

http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-18-unity

I know a secret!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Edited by: grysqrl on May 23 2017 - 11:32am
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Don't forget to take the survey apparently https://survey.libsyn.com/theletterspage

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Etheria

I had the survey finished before they finished talking about the survey xD

Good episode, lots of revelations about Unity and her personality

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Don't forget to take the survey apparently https://survey.libsyn.com/theletterspage

Thanks -- done!
Hopefully I'll be able to listen to the podcast, soon... :-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

Powerhound_2000

So was Char supposed to have the Unity nemesis icon in the Block?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm so glad I asked that question. And the hair one. The answers to both were unexpectedly excellent. (Unexpexcellent?)

I'd have to imagine Char wouldn't have the icon in the Block because that event happened prior to Termi-Nation? I guess? But seriously, I wouldn't have considered him a "fire guy". I mean, he does toxic damage, too! What the heck are even his powers?

Etheria

I think, but cannot confirm, that what was meant is that Char will be one of the experiments in the Fort Adamant Enviroment, where he will have the Nemesis Icon for Unity. There will also be nemises for two other characters who have already had episodes (I suspect Bunker and Absolute Zero)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

Anyone else want someone to make a 90's themed Freedom Five cartoon opening?

That is now a thin I need in my life.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

Or maybe you already have one.

glenn frog knight

The info on the wiki for Golem Unity doesn't jive with the info from this episode... I also can't find where that wiki info came from. Was it a kickstarter entry?

Est Sularus oth Mithas: My Honor is My Life

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

glenn frog knight wrote:
The info on the wiki for Golem Unity doesn't jive with the info from this episode... I also can't find where that wiki info came from. Was it a kickstarter entry?
It's from the Multiverse section of the video game.  Hm... if that one's not correct, it throws all the other Multiverse backgrounds into question, since they don't appear anywhere else either.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Handelabra gets them directly from Christopher so either he omitted it or it's being told from the memories of Golem Unity which I wouldn't call being accurate.  Also, Fixer is the only one who knows how Unity became a Golem Unity the other heroes would not be able to contradict it.  

glenn frog knight

I don't know... it saying it goes to visit the grave pretty much can't be reconciled with what we learned.

Powerhound_2000

The grave visits though are the last piece mentioned.  

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

The new Freedom Six Unity incap has her visiting her original's grave, too.  I think the whole "she never really comes to terms with this before the end" was a bit of a misstatement, and she does figure it out and at least start to come to terms with it, though possibly very briefly.  That may be the beginning of the end for her.

Submit your games here!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

"Figuring it out" and "Coming to terms with it" are not the same thing.

glenn frog knight

I still feel like the stories being presented just don't really match. In the Letters page version, it's pretty heavily implied that Unity isn't awake for what's going on, and there's no mention at all of it only partially working. Unity visiting the grave definitely is shown on the new back, which is a good point. I still feel like the actual incident's events just sound very different. How involved was Unity in the transfer?

Also, "end of that timeline" is ominous-sounding...

Finally, how much was Unity REALLY involved in the transfer process? It gave the feeling she wasn't AT ALL - maybe not even conscious!

Powerhound_2000

Mostly I would say send a question to them using the Letters Page form about the differences.  The source of both is Christopher and Adam.  

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

glenn frog knight wrote:

Also, "end of that timeline" is ominous-sounding... 

Ah! Someone other than me picked up on this. Good.

At the end of the OblivAeon event, we know that all the different multiverses still exsist in some way, but they are all cut off from eachother. This is why post Oblivaeon we are able to follow two different universes that are exactly the same until the destruction (or non-destruction) of Rook City made a branch.

End of that Timeline is ominous indeed! It begs the following question: Is OblivAeon the reason that timeline, and maybe some others, ended abruptly? Or is there perhaps another Actor with the ability and means to destroy/erase evil and destructive timelines?

I'm afraid that, at this time, I will have to leave it there. But I'm very happy you mentioned this GFK as I think it makes for facinating theory material.

Jeysie

Foote wrote:

Or is there perhaps another Actor with the ability and means to destroy/erase evil and destructive timelines?

We saw on the preview of one of La Comodora's cards that she was ending timelines to try to save others, and the artwork seemed to suggest it was the Iron Legacy timeline she was ending at that particular moment depicted.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

Foote wrote:
Or is there perhaps another Actor with the ability and means to destroy/erase evil and destructive timelines?

We saw on the preview of one of La Comodora's cards that she was ending timelines to try to save others, and the artwork seemed to suggest it was the Iron Legacy timeline she was ending at that particular moment depicted.

Good catch! Now, the question is why is she doing that. The Iron Legacy timeline is definitely more... depressing. But as any hollywood movie would tell you, erasing all the evil to only keep the good is just as bad in the long run. The name of the card is harnessed anomaly, perhaps she's using this timeline "energy" to maintain another timeline "active", or something like that...?

MrLeRobot...

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I believe is a way to help Nightmist pull only the good stuff on the be the gate. It would have been a really bad timing to pull an unhinged Iron Legacy...

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Jeysie wrote:
Foote wrote:

I forgot that this Proof was shown on the KickStarter! Yeah, that was kinda what I was trying to allude too without giving away that I might have had a little insight, but it turns out you know as much as I do!

Medic-Tank wrote:

I believe is a way to help Nightmist pull only the good stuff on the be the gate. It would have been a really bad timing to pull an unhinged Iron Legacy...

This seems totally plausable. Pretty cool if true. I find it facinating that she has this kind of control over time and the multiverse in the first place. It cements Comodora as probably one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse aside from Oblivaeon himself, which is quite impressive.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Are you the most powerful if it's your ship doing it?

Etheria

Dunno, is Bunker less powerful because of his suit, or the scholar less powerful because he uses the Philosopher's Stone?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

MrLeRobot wrote:

Jeysie wrote:

Foote wrote:

Good catch! Now, the question is why is she doing that. The Iron Legacy timeline is definitely more... depressing. But as any hollywood movie would tell you, erasing all the evil to only keep the good is just as bad in the long run. The name of the card is harnessed anomaly, perhaps she's using this timeline "energy" to maintain another timeline "active", or something like that...?

And if you're going to pick a timeline to destroy, you might as well pick one that sucks.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Iiiiiinteresting. I wonder if that is how La Comodora is trying to clean up the mistakes of her past, too.

After the Mister Fixer episode, I immediately ran to the question form to ask one about him and Unity.

We heard then that Mister Fixer had the ability to feel the "aura" of a machine, which is why he became such a great mechanic. We also learned that, in the Iron Legacy timeline, he and Unity became friends. I wanted to know what he perceived about Unity and her bots. Sadly, that question wasn't answered. I guess it just goes to the nature of her powers, or isn't important.

cnranger

Adam wrote:

I bet this means the that song in the podcast would have been the 90's cartoon intro. "Christopher and Adam reading letter to you".

I would have been introduced to Sentinels by that catroon most likely since the X-men, Spiderman and Batman cartoons were my introduction to those characters, plus the charaters that they crossed over into certain episodes (the Punisher in Spiderman).

Powerhound_2000

Adam wrote:

We don't have Letters Page episode where you do an Old Timey Radio voice the entire show.  That needs to be an interlude episode at least. 

jffdougan

cnranger wrote:

Adam wrote:

I bet this means the that song in the podcast would have been the 90's cartoon intro. "Christopher and Adam reading letter to you". I would have been introduced to Sentinels by that catroon most likely since the X-men, Spiderman and Batman cartoons were my introduction to those characters, plus the charaters that they crossed over into certain episodes (the Punisher in Spiderman). 

I think he's referring to the Freedom Five cartoon April Fool's joke a couple years back.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

No idea what you are talking about... 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

jffdougan

Rabit wrote:

I thought we had a YouTube clip to go with that, but I guess I remembered wrong.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

Rabit wrote:
We really need an update of that image with Debbie added in.  Too bad there won't be any more promo cards, I'd love a Kid Unity.

Submit your games here!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Spoilers!

No, not here! Go further down.

So Unity is magic powered, how come Nightmist or any other magic powered being didn't go "Hey... I think we need to talk."?

Powerhound_2000

Maybe because her power didn't seem out of control and she wielded it effectively.   She might be capable of more given training though.  

jffdougan

I suspect also because the power seems to manifest as something technological rather than magical.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I was of the opinion that some of them could "see" magic, perhaps I am wrong.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hmmmm....if it is magic and not technology, I guess that puts a different spin on her relationship with Tachy.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

cnranger wrote:

I would have been introduced to Sentinels by that catroon most likely since the X-men, Spiderman and Batman cartoons were my introduction to those characters, plus the charaters that they crossed over into certain episodes (the Punisher in Spiderman). 

I would love to see a world where a comic reader says "So Deadpool is kinda like the Guise of Marvel, and other traditional comparisons backwards.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

Rabit wrote:

We really need an update of that image with Debbie added in.  Too bad there won't be any more promo cards, I'd love a Kid Unity.

Well, that is what we have BGG for...