Taunting in Video Games

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Taunting in Video Games

I am not big into fighting games, but I saw this video on on Geek & Sundry. I found it very interesting.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Jeysie

Happens in non-video games, too. One of the reasons I hated gym class was because of situations where kids very quickly learned stuff like how the easiest way to win was to hit the volleyball at the person with bad hand-eye coordination who was clearly scared of getting walloped with the ball.

And really, this sort of thing is pretty much why I hate multiplayer competitive video games too. I'm already a scrub who's going to lose on account of being worse at the game, you don't need to rub my nose in it too.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

morph147

Jeysie wrote:

Happens in non-video games, too. One of the reasons I hated gym class was because of situations where kids very quickly learned stuff like how the easiest way to win was to hit the volleyball at the person with bad hand-eye coordination who was clearly scared of getting walloped with the ball.And really, this sort of thing is pretty much why I hate multiplayer competitive video games too. I'm already a scrub who's going to lose on account of being worse at the game, you don't need to rub my nose in it too.

ah yes the gym class fun. The worse part is when the gym teacher is the one standing there making fun of you for your lack of atheletic skill. However I will have to admit, telling him off and explaining to him in a 5 minute presentation why by doing that he was actually one of the worse teachers ever and should have his teaching license revoked and getting a 3 day suspension was so worth it.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Jeysie

Yeah, I got that to a lesser degree; lots of "Stop being so lazy and try harder!" type sentiments. It wasn't until high school that I finally met a single gym teacher who was willing to take the clumsier students aside and actually teach them how to do things in ways that compensated for their clumsiness. I still never got good, but I at least got OK enough to not be frustrated the whole time.

In middle school, though, with those "try harder!" teachers, I took the more passive approach of eventually simply doing the bare minimum of changing but then literally sitting the entire class out by whatever wall was out of the way. The only time I participated was in the rare non-competitive stuff like aerobics. Hated having the D sitting in the middle of a report card otherwise full of As, but since I usually didn't do better than a C anyway even when busting my backside...

Multiplayer video games make me feel the same way. If I'm going to suck at a game, I'd rather at best suck while playing it entirely by myself, or at worst, not play it at all.

If people were less cutthroat about it all, I'd be more willing to join in, but as the OP shows they're not going to be, so.

Ameena
Ameena's picture

Yeah, this is one reason I don't like PvP. Let's all just work together to kick the crap out of some kind of AI so there aren't any actual people risking having their feelings hurt by being beaten instead :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

None of that video surprises me especially having played WoW on PvP servers mostly since none of them were on PvE ones.  Though to be honest, some of the PvE content got just a contentious at times for a variety of reasons and would result in people being taunted to a degree there as well. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

None of that video surprises me especially having played WoW on PvP servers mostly since none of them were on PvE ones.  Though to be honest, some of the PvE content got just a contentious at times for a variety of reasons and would result in people being taunted to a degree there as well. 

Interestingly, nowadays the PvP servers have the nicer people when it comes to PvP areas.  They just want to get their questing done.  The non-PvP servers have the jerks in the PvP areas. :D

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture
Playtester

This has always been the main reason I've stayed away from MOBAs. While it's PvP, the main enemy is your teammates (especially when on random) who berate everything you do to the point that you don't have fun. Add that to the steep learning curve of the meta, and it's just brow-beating from the get go.

Jeysie

Yeah, that's why cooperative stuff isn't really a panacea either... people then yell at the scrub for making everybody lose.

Multiplayer only works when either everyone's at about the same skill level or everyone's really easygoing about the whole deal.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Hm. There's no obvious way to report posts as spam?

Powerhound_2000

Send a message to a mod with a link to the post.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Given that there's no reliable way* to know if you get a message or not, that's not a great solution, though it is the best of a bad bunch.

*Even if you have "email me on receipt of a message" checked it doesn't always do that.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000

I've always gotten responses from the mods and I don't know of any better method.