Survival Guide to Time Cataclysm

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture
Survival Guide to Time Cataclysm

Time Cataclysm

This is a rip in time, that contains elements from various time periods. Here's some pointers on surviving and not getting lost in time.

• Types of Cards: Anomoly
  • Number of target cards: 6
  • Special Mention: Tumbleweed: Has 1 hp and destroys an environment card each turn.
  • Fixed Point - This card makes all cards indestructable. This opens the door for many shenanigans. Any hero card or effect that would be limited by being destroyed or returned to hand can be ignored due to Fixed Point's effect (not including the Limited rule, as those just can't be played). In the Absolute Zero case (that Arcanist Lupus pointed out), AZ can go into negative HP (and won't be destroyed because of Fixed Point) and continue to do damage, etc. This card also nerfs the cards that require cards to be destroyed in order for effects to take place. Also note if targets get knocked to zero while this card is out, it remains in effect until fixed point leaves play. If a target reaches negative hp, it can be healed back into play as long as fixed point is out.
  • General Observations: This environment is pme of my favorites to battle in. The cards are tributes to the other environments. There's a balance between cards that help out, and ones that are down right a pain.
  • Dificulty rank - 2 (According to the wiki)

Fun Fact: the cards Typhoon, Rift in Time, and Fixed Point are the only cards currently not related to other environment decks.

Villains with this environment

• Thematically La Capitan works well here. 

Heros with this environment

• Fixed Point allows many shenanigans with many of the heros. See a list of cards that Fixed point effects in this comment on this topic.
  •  

Anything I should add? Tips thoughts? Suggestions? Anything you suggest will added. Thanks for the help!

Edited by: ChronoRanger_101 on Jun 30 2015 - 10:59pm
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

You can't talk about the Time Cataclysm without mentioning Fixed Point, the #1 environment source of shenanigans in the game.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

As a trivia piece only the cards Typhoon, Rift in Time, and Fixed Point are not related to other environment decks   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

ChronoRanger_101

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

You can't talk about the Time Cataclysm without mentioning Fixed Point, the #1 environment source of shenanigans in the game.

Can you explain what kind of shenanigans you are referring to and with whih heroes, please?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Mr Fixer getting multiple styles or tools in play at once.

The Naturalist taking multiple forms to form the fearsome Crhinozelle.

Unity destroying the same Construction Pylon twice to bring out four bots.

Tachyon and Ra keeping their self-damaging cards out for free by choosing not to take the damage when the cards can't be destroyed.

Two rounds of Ground Pound or Take Down.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Dealing arbitrarily large amounts of damage with Absolute Zero and Twist the Ether.

mackcrockett

OMnitron X having multiple plating cards then using defensive burst.

Guise getting another round of his one shot Ongoings

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Basically, any hero card or effect that would be limited by being destroyed or returned to hand can be ignored due to Fixed Point's effect (not including the Limited rule, as those just can't be played). In the Absolute Zero case (that Arcanist Lupus pointed out), AZ can go into negative HP (and won't be destroyed because of Fixed Point) and continue to do damage, etc.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Also works with Wrathful Retribution or Divine Sacrifice for Fanatic.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

AlexxKay

Rabit wrote:
...any hero card or effect that would be limited by being destroyed or returned to hand can be ignored due to Fixed Point's effect...

This is non-obvious but very important.  Indestructable means that it can't be removed from play in any way, including something trying to put it back in a hand.  Several of the above-mentioned shenanigans depend on this principle.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Thanks for that point, Alexx!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Some of the cards that get nerfed by Fixed Point (I'm excluding Ongoing/Environment destruction, because of course they get nerfed):

Auxilarly Power Source (the extra power ability gets nerfed, but the power itself is boosted)

Omnicannon

All of Captain Cosmic's one shots

Final Dive

Savage Mana

Explosive Reveal

Supply Crate 

Inventory Barrage

Some of the cards that become more powerful (excluding 1-turn cards that stick around for an extra turn and cards with upkeep costs):

Glacial Structure

Aclarious Subdominant

Auxilarly Power Source (the extra power ability gets nerfed, but the power itself is boosted)

Flak Jacket

All of Expat's Ammo

Aegis of Resurrection

Battlefield Experience (although you miss out on the on-destruction effect that turn)

Focusing Conduit-blade (with the same caveat as above)

Overcharged Null-Shield

Primed Punch

Mr. Fixer's Styles and Tools

The Naturalist's Forms

Natural Born Vigor

Omnitron-X's Platings

Buffer Overflow (Not only do you get an extra use out of it, since it isn't destroyed, the villain deck won't play a replacement card!)

Staff of Ra

Silver Lining

Uncharmed Life

Emergency Evac (If I'm reading this correctly, your link cards will all stay in place, and then you will take out Fixed Point and up to two Villain Ongoings

Rebounding Debilitator

Synaptic Interuption

Construction Pylon

Scrap Metal

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You forgot Bunker's Mode, where if you play the same one, you get more benefits. Given, Bunker can only play an extra Upgrade Mode without help.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

It never occurred to me to play multiples of the same mode.  I looked at playing multiple different modes and said, "Well, that would be stupid," and moved on.  That's an excellent idea!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Personally, I like playing two copies of Upgrade Mode and a Recharge Mode. That way I can draw tons of cards, then when I am done with that I can play 3 cards a turn.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That's clever!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Powerhound_2000

Fixed Point does and doesn't make me look forward to testing Time Cataclysm in Mega Computer.   There are a lot of awesome interactions to take into account.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

ChronoRanger_101

There is one thing I've been wondering about fixed point: When it's out, does it mean taregets can't decrease in HP? Or does it mean hp still goes down, but can't leave play till it's gone?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

HP still goes down, but they don't leave play. If the have <1 hp when it does, they are immediately destroyed.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

HP goes down, they just don't get destroyed when it reaches 0 (though they will if they are still 0 or below when Fixed Point goes away).

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Note that HP goes into the negatives, so if there's a target with 1 hp, and you deal 3 damage to it, and then heal it 1, it will be at -1 and it will die once Fixed Point leaves.  If you had only dealt 1 damage to it, it would have healed back to 1 hp and wouldn't die.

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Wait, Fixed point preents returning to the hand too? I thought it only affected if cards would be destroyed

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

VisforYoshi wrote:

Wait, Fixed point preents returning to the hand too? I thought it only affected if cards would be destroyed

The exact wording of the Indestructable term is that it prevents the card from leaving the game in any way, shape or form.  Once an indestructable card is in play, it's stays in play until it's no longer indestructable.

Powerhound_2000

Fixed Point will prevent cards returning to your hand like Mr Fixer's tools.   

ChronoRanger_101

Thanks I updated the info. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

The big list of "stuff that gets affected by Fixed Point" above missed out Omni-10's platings ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

So I did.  That's corrected now.

ChronoRanger_101

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

So I did.  That's corrected now.

Thanks Arcanist Lupus for your list! Thanks great! I upated the guide.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Typhoon is a reference to the storm that delayed a previous SotM expansion.