suggest a comic book for me

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
fanaka66
fanaka66's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Nov 03, 2012
suggest a comic book for me

Assuming Sentinel Comics is not going to become a thing in real life anytime soon, I'm looking for a comic book series to read. 

It needs to be something available to read on my phone (comixology or something similar).   I want to start with something from the beginning.  I'll be reading casually, so I won't be getting a subscription, I'll be purchasing issue by issue.  Therefore, I want something without a big back catalog.  It doesn't have to be in the superhero genre, but I'm obviously a fan.  I've always preferred Marvel to DC.  My favorite SOTM storyline is Legacy/Baron Blade/Young Legacy/Iron Legacy.  I also like superhero teams, how the different personalities mesh/clash together.

What do you suggest?


It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

1) Saga

2) It's finished, but Hicman's run on Fantastic Four (this includes FF)

3) Hickman's run on New Avengers

4) Dr. Strange (2016)

5) Scarlet Witch (2016)

6) Black Science

7) Tokyo Ghost

 

There's so much more, but these are really good reads

 


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

I have a couple of suggestions!

Books that are currently ongoing:

The Vision (2016): This is probably the best ongoing series being published right now. It is, so far, an incredibly well written and hard hitting book tackling some complex and dark themes. 10/10 and it's the one book I activley look forward to every month.

Moon Knight (2016): The new run of Moon Knight is incredibly thought provoking with a focus on Marc Specters insanity and how that ties in with the narrative and artwork. This book is a close second the Vision for best book out there right now with any competition for third place fairly far behind.

Old Man Logan: This is an ongoing series at the moment, but it all started in 2009 with Wolverine: Old Man Logan​. It continued in 2015 for a short series and again in 2016 where it currently is. If you just want to read the most recent 2015-2016 runs, you will get it and they are some of the best Logan stories around.

The Walking Dead: Sure you can watch it on TV, but there is something about the comics that you just can't get on cable. And trust me, they will keep you on the edge of your seat. One of my favorite series ever (and this was before the show!)

Spider-man/Deadpool (2016): This book is gold. You can't put two characters that are more alike but so vasty different together and not get fireworks. And what glories works they are!

The Ultimates (2016): Y​eah, I almost forgot about this book after I talked about Moon Knight, but there is just something special about this run of the Ultimates and the cosmic side of the marvel universe that's exceptional. Idk if its the art or the writing, but it's really got my interest.

 

Oldies but Goodies:

Uncanny X-Force (2010): I can't recomend comics to someone and not, straight off the bat, mention Uncanny X-Force. To this date it is one of the best series I have ever read, with a combination of great stories, an amazing roster list, and fantastic art. If you want to read a bit of the backlog and storylines leading up to this book, I can also recomend X-Force (2008-2010).

Batman (2011): Scott Snyder's run of the New 52 Batman was fantastic from start to finish. Sure you could look at older stories and shorts that are iconic (like Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, ect.), but if you want something more modern, this 52 issue series is worth the read. The End Game story arc is well worth the price of admission.

Batman Eternal / Batman & Robin Eternal: Yes, I do love batman. Both of these books dovetail into one another and are extensions out of the aformentioned Batman (2011). ​ But holy cow are they worth the read. I really loved them, and if you are any kind of batman fan, these are must read stories.

Justice League (2011) Darkseid War - issues #40-52: The Darkseid War arc at the end of the Justice League's New 52 run was a great read. There are a few solo one-shots for each member that takes place in the middle of this run that detail the...changes...that happen and will be worth a read if you want to suppliment the main arc, but I wouldn't call them nessesary. I don't believe I read the whole run of this series, but I certainly read this arc and it was action packed awesome.

 

 

fanaka66
fanaka66's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Nov 03, 2012

Funny, after I typed this up, I found a list I made a year ago and Saga was at the top. I think that's where I'll start. 

 

Thanks!


It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 25, 2015

How has no one mentioned INVINCIBLE?

We've even listed Robert Kirkman's Walking Dead!

So, Invincible (by Robert Kirkman), is the story of Mark Grayson. His father, Nolan Grayson, is Omni-Man (their world's Superman/Legacy/whatever). He has grown his whole life waiting for his powers to kick in, and they finally do - and now he has to live up to the mantle and legacy of his father, the world's greatest hero. Except his father, and his entire heritage, holds lies...

It's such a campy, four-color comic in themes of mad robots and crazed scientists, but everyone in it is fully fleshed out, real and vulnerable, with moral struggles and true pain and honest mistakes and principles that are tested. It's my favorite "superhero" comic that's ever, ever been written.

I cannot overstate how much you should buy Invincible, Ultimate Edition, Vol 1 and then maybe the rest of them. I've had many people read them, and every time, they only ask "do you have more?"


Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote
 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

One that I enjoy that doesn't have an insane backlog is the new Ms. Marvel(Kamala Khan) book. Kamala is such a fun character.

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Bowie wrote:

How has no one mentioned INVINCIBLE?


Your description sounds intriguing. I may have to look for that.
fanaka66
fanaka66's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Nov 03, 2012

Trajector wrote:

 

Bowie wrote:
How has no one mentioned INVINCIBLE?

 

Your description sounds intriguing. I may have to look for that.

 

I agree, I decided to try out Saga and Invincible. The first volume of each is on order from the library.  I'll let you know how they go. 


It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Invincible is probably the best super-hero comic. it has a HUGE backlog (small comapred to the big two), it's solid through-and-through. It starts off slow(ish) but picks up pretty quickly. Also it is ending soon. But it's no quick read. 


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

UXM266 wrote:

1) Saga2) It's finished, but Hicman's run on Fantastic Four (this includes FF)3) Hickman's run on New Avengers4) Dr. Strange (2016)5) Scarlet Witch (2016)6) Black Science7) Tokyo Ghost There's so much more, but these are really good reads 

You like the new Dr. Strange book too? I love the artist and the Death of Magic storyline was fairly entertaining at least. I'm expecting great things out of the next arc though with [redacted] showing up at the end of last issue!

Havn't read the S. Witch series though. Is it similar to the Strange book?

fanaka66
fanaka66's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: Nov 03, 2012

Finished the first 6 issues of saga. I think I'm hooked. 


It's you and me against the world.
When do we attack?

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Foote wrote:

 

UXM266 wrote:
1) Saga2) It's finished, but Hicman's run on Fantastic Four (this includes FF)3) Hickman's run on New Avengers4) Dr. Strange (2016)5) Scarlet Witch (2016)6) Black Science7) Tokyo Ghost There's so much more, but these are really good reads 

 

You like the new Dr. Strange book too? I love the artist and the Death of Magic storyline was fairly entertaining at least. I'm expecting great things out of the next arc though with [redacted] showing up at the end of last issue!Havn't read the S. Witch series though. Is it similar to the Strange book?

Scarelet Witch is COMPLETELY different. Doctor Strange is more of an adventure-fantasy book. I just read the newest issue, and I'm STOKED. Scarlet Witch is more like old-school Constantine. It's more film-noire. She's on a quest to solve a mystery. It's more "Serious", and SW is a no-nonsense, no joke, character. Doctor Strange, is a care-free spirit. Two different views of magic, story and style, but both incredible. 


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

fanaka66 wrote:

Finished the first 6 issues of saga. I think I'm hooked. 

I collect the single-issues and trades. I even got a sketch from Fiona Staples


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: Mar 21, 2015

One I'd suggest without a significant backlog and a rather unique approach is The Wicked + The Divine. The basic premise is that every 90 years 12 gods incarnate as humans. They are loved, they are hated. Within two years they are dead (that's basically the description from Image's page). It's a bit of a roller-coaster but really good.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Belle Sorciere wrote:

One I'd suggest without a significant backlog and a rather unique approach is The Wicked + The Divine. The basic premise is that every 90 years 12 gods incarnate as humans. They are loved, they are hated. Within two years they are dead (that's basically the description from Image's page). It's a bit of a roller-coaster but really good.

I've read the first 3 Volumes, and it starts off really good, but I felt the second volume didn't have the same oomf, and I really disliked the 3rd volume, maybe it was the vast amount of different artists, or it's focus on different gods, and I didn't see it add on to the story that much. But the ongoign artist is fantastic.

But it's one these comics that really splits fans. Some love it, others don't. 


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Vision just finished it's 12 issue run. I gotta say, even though the main characters are synthetic, it is without question one of the most "human" stories I've ever read in comics. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up. It's really incredible.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Foote wrote:

Vision just finished it's 12 issue run. I gotta say, even though the main characters are synthetic, it is without question one of the most "human" stories I've ever read in comics. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up. It's really incredible.

It's quite mature and depressing for a Marvel title. It's not meant to be a light-hearted uplifting read. But it is brilliant!


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: Mar 21, 2015

UXM266 wrote:

 

Belle Sorciere wrote:
One I'd suggest without a significant backlog and a rather unique approach is The Wicked + The Divine. The basic premise is that every 90 years 12 gods incarnate as humans. They are loved, they are hated. Within two years they are dead (that's basically the description from Image's page). It's a bit of a roller-coaster but really good.

 

I've read the first 3 Volumes, and it starts off really good, but I felt the second volume didn't have the same oomf, and I really disliked the 3rd volume, maybe it was the vast amount of different artists, or it's focus on different gods, and I didn't see it add on to the story that much. But the ongoign artist is fantastic.But it's one these comics that really splits fans. Some love it, others don't. 

Once you get past the series of different artists it settles back into its groove. Anyway, I found the most recent story arc pretty satisfying.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Belle Sorciere wrote:

Once you get past the series of different artists it settles back into its groove. Anyway, I found the most recent story arc pretty satisfying.

This is good to hear. Thanks for the reassurance that it gets better


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: Mar 21, 2015

I didn't like the interregnum of guest artists either, to be fair. Especially given the note the series ended on before the artist parade started.

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Has anyone picked up the new series from Rick Remender? Seven to Eternity? Just got done reading the first issue and It's pretty freakin cool. Opena is the artist for the book as well and I love his art style

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Foote wrote:

Has anyone picked up the new series from Rick Remender? Seven to Eternity? Just got done reading the first issue and It's pretty freakin cool. Opena is the artist for the book as well and I love his art style

I've picked it up myself. Going to read the second issue tonight. It's pretty good, and great art.


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Also, I've been reading Saga since it was recomended here UXM. I gotta be honest. I love it so far. I'm having a hard time putting it down.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities
Joined: Apr 29, 2012

Foote wrote:

Also, I've been reading Saga since it was recomended here UXM. I gotta be honest. I love it so far. I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Around Volumr 5 it starts really not heading anywhere, and tends to use too many "NEXT PAGE IS A SHOCKER" kind of moments. but it's still solid. Beautifully drawn (I got a sketch from Fiona Staples!) and well written. Also, the "blue" language is esperanto!

 

Glad you like it!


I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....