Streaming?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tubafolk
Streaming?

Asking for a friend who wants to stream our sessions. 

Would GTG/creators would not want that going on?

Im aware of many things that could make that less than desirable. Copyright and such. Just wanted to ask the source if possible. 

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

To be honest, I would hope that GTG wouldn't mind streaming of their games by others... as long as credit is given where it is due (stating who publishes the game and even linking to their site so that those watching could purchase it).  All in all, it would be more or less free advertising for them (costs them nothing).

Getting paid for such streams on the otherhand is where things can get a bit stickier.  Due to copyrights, it is unlikely that any video platform will be able to monitize such videos/streams easily and would need GTG direct permission.  It is even likely that GTG could legally claim any revenue generated through such monetization.  I am not well versed in fair use laws, but I would say that something along this line doesn't quite fit the parameters of such content... and thus subject to copyrights should GTG see fit to claim so.

Overall, I don't see why they would mind as long as you are giving them their due credit and are not monetizing the stream/video... just presenting it as entertainment.  Still, contacting them officially and seeing what their position would be is the best course to take... just to make sure you are protected from any legal repercussions.

I have also toyed with the idea of doing game videos/streams once the game is released... and would be interested to hear what an official GTG position is.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Diclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Legally, you should easily be in the clear as long as you don't share any protected content: no characters or places from the Sentinel Comics IP, no official art or images, no lengthy recitations of large portions of the rulebook.  You can't copyright mechanics, and paraphrased explanations of how the rules work should fall well under fair use even if you use their game terms.  That should be fine to monetize, even.

If you do want to use any aspect of protected IP, then it's no different from streaming a video game on Twitch: a real jerk of a developer could legally prevent you but it would be a horribly bad idea for them PR-wise.

It would be nice to have GtG's official blessing just in case, but the chances of them giving you a hard time are infinitesimal.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm not a representative of GTG, but... :-\ Make sure you don't share the materials that have been shared to backers on the Kickstarter. They would definitely not be happy about that (as stated when they were shared). 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

Tubafolk

Excellent point. Given that I have knowledge of that it would be a fine line to walk. 

thank you for keeping me out of trouble. 

Tubafolk

The folks at GTG seem like pretty awesome people and generally they seem like they would pretty nicely approach something like that if that ever happened. 

Thank you for helping me stay out of trouble with great people.