Star Wars: Force Awakens Trailer #2

81 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013
Star Wars: Force Awakens Trailer #2

* Health Warning* Please go to the bathroom before clicking the link below. There is a strong possibility you're bowels might give way due to excitment. If you have an erection lasting longer than 4 hours after viewing, please see a doctor right away *Health Warning*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Wow. My body was not ready for that kind of hype.

 

Things I noticed:

- The lightsaber being passed at 0:52 is undeniably Anakin Skywalker's. The same one taken by Obi-Wan in their duel and given to Luke, who then lost it along with his hand in one of the most memorable scenes of Star Wars history. The connection is probably going to be very important to the plot.

- Vader's helmet. If you look closely, it looks like it's on a pedestal. Why? I know in the extended universe, the greatest Sith Lords had tombs built in their honor on Koriban where their spirits would be guarded and future generations could learn from old masters. I think it's possible that something similar was built for Vader,maybe even by Luke himself (who else would?). It would make sense to honor him this way as Anakin was trained and skilled in both the Light and Dark side of the force, but met his end as somewhat redemed. What better way to usher in a new erra of students than with a tale such as Vaders?

 

What I think it means:

I think Anakin's old Lightsaber could be a key of sorts for Vader's tomb and the possible powers/lessons within. Kylo Ren, the new villain, could have motivations tied to finding either the Lightsaber or the tomb. Kylo Ren's mask has a very strong resemblance to Revan, who was a master of both Light and Dark side similar to Vader (go play KotoR now if you have not already). I think JJ as a hardcore Star Wars fan might be playing around with a similar theme here.

There are speculations that one or more of the new characters are decendants of Skywalker (Luke or Leia), which is supported by the line in the trailer that echos exactly what Luke said to Leia in Return of the Jedi. Kylo Ren or any of the new characters such as Rey or Finn (it's totally going to be the girl) could be decendants, tieing them into the larger story and destiny around this old Lightsaber.

 

No one knows jack-all about the plot line, but these were my thoughts after digesting the new trailer.

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

I've been too busy squeeing from my first watch to even think about watching it again. I just want this to be reality now.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

cmschex
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 52 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 02, 2013

I watched during the middle of work and proceeded to watch it 10 more times in a row 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

When I was young and foolish myself and a bunch of friends traveled to America to see Episode 1 before it was released in the UK, we all know how that turned out.

The trailers for this one are not getting me enthused for this movie.


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

My thoughts, in no particular order:

 

 

 

Star Wars! STARWARS star wars Star Wars STAR WARS Star WARS Star Wars Star WARS Star Wars star wars!

 

 

No, seriously, as a 30-something who grew up obsessed with those movies, books, video games, and Legos, but who only saw Attack of the Clones once ever and it shall stay that way, I have to say: One of the best things about this trailer is that IT LOOKS LIKE STAR WARS. It NAILS the look and feel of the original trilogy universe. That is huge.

And, that opening pan...where you don't realize that's no ordinary mountain, because you're distracted by noticing that that's an old-school x-wing...dayumn.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 31 min ago
AdminPlaytester
Joined: Sep 03, 2012

I'll be in my bunk.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 23, 2013

Yep. It's a movie trailer...

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Greywind wrote:

Yep. It's a movie trailer...

Not just any trailer. A perfectly edited trailer. As a media production kinda dude, that editing job is immaculate

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 26, 2013

My thoughts:

How long do wookies live?

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 23, 2013

Until someone cuts off their head. They're Immortal.

Foote wrote:

 

Greywind wrote:
Yep. It's a movie trailer...

 

Not just any trailer. A perfectly edited trailer. As a media production kinda dude, that editing job is immaculate

I worked for 5 years managing a comic specialty shop. The owner was a Star Wars fanatic. Kinda burns you out on it when you're dealing with someone regularly who thinks Star Wars is a lifestyle.

Donner
Donner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 54 sec ago
Playtester
Joined: Mar 30, 2013

phantaskippy wrote:

My thoughts:How long do wookies live?

Several centuries.


"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Mar 21, 2015

Things I liked:

Acknowledging Leia is strong in the Force.

Luke's cybernetic hand

Han and Chewbacca

Everything else

morph147
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: Jan 22, 2015

phantaskippy wrote:

My thoughts:How long do wookies live?

well since it is implied Chewbecca fights in the clone wars, a long time


My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Greywind wrote:

Yep. It's a movie trailer...


I did not think I'd be as excited as I am, but it's firing all my childhood neurons. In a good way.
Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Donner wrote:
phantaskippy wrote:
My thoughts:How long do wookies live?

 

Several centuries.

+300-400 years is pretty common in the EU. 

Greywind wrote:

Kinda burns you out on it when you're dealing with someone regularly who thinks Star Wars is a lifestyle.

Yeah man I feel you. That would begin the wear me down too. I know people like that and they are great in short, seperate bursts. But it starts to outstay it's welcome.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
PlaytesterTruth Seeker
Joined: Aug 02, 2011

Foote wrote:

 

Donner wrote:
phantaskippy wrote:
My thoughts:How long do wookies live? 

 

Several centuries.

+300-400 years is pretty common in the EU. 

I thought only folks of the UK could be time lords. Are you saying the entire EU have a lot of them?

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Most Wookies when they talk hear eachother in a thick cockney accent. I thought this was common knowledge.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

Trajector wrote:

And, that opening pan...where you don't realize that's no ordinary mountain, because you're distracted by noticing that that's an old-school x-wing...dayumn.

X-Wing? I thought it was a land speeder.


Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

arenson9 wrote:
Trajector wrote:
And, that opening pan...where you don't realize that's no ordinary mountain, because you're distracted by noticing that that's an old-school x-wing...dayumn.

X-Wing? I thought it was a land speeder.

I believe that was a reference to the husk of an X-Wing in the dirt.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 58 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

Craig wrote:

 

arenson9 wrote:
Trajector wrote:
And, that opening pan...where you don't realize that's no ordinary mountain, because you're distracted by noticing that that's an old-school x-wing...dayumn.

 

X-Wing? I thought it was a land speeder.

I believe that was a reference to the husk of an X-Wing in the dirt.

Ah, yes. Of, course.


Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Yup. And it's the original-trilogy-era design, with cylindrical engines instead of the half-cylinders we see later.

I'm guessing a major theme is going to be the aftermath of galactic war...

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Trajector wrote:

Yup. And it's the original-trilogy-era design, with cylindrical engines instead of the half-cylinders we see later.

I'm guessing a major theme is going to be the aftermath of galactic war...

It's likely not even the aftermath. It's probably still going on. Rebels didn't win the war outright in RotJ. They just struck a major blow to the head power of the Imperial Empire. Since the movie takes place like 20 years after RotJ, that probably created a power vaccume within the Empire giving the Alliance time to build itself into its power super power. I imagine a cold war kinda feel between these two sides. 

The title "Force Awakens" makes me think there be an influx of force-sensitive people. I think Rey and Finn will both end up force-sensitive. Kylo Ren will probably be another person to suddenly become force-senstive and who might have had an interest in Sith artifacts and history to begin with, which would match my initial thoughts about trying to hunt down the original Lightsaber and mask of Darth Vader at some point for whatever reason.

I think there be a bigger Sith out there than Kylo Ren, someone who will pose a big enough threat on Luke's level of power, while Kylo Ren will make an interesting parrellel story with Finn (both start off as Imperial soldiers [Edit: Kylo starts off as Alliance possibly. Even better!] but take different paths forward after gaining the ability to sense the force). Finn and Rey will eventually seek out Luke (due to having his Lightsaber) and train under him while Kylo Ren will meet our larger Sith to train with. I'd be surprised if this Sith has any more connections to the Imperial agenda though, as I see that as strickly a Palpetine thing.

Idk. Just spitballing more ideas.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Kylo Ren seems pretty well established in the force by this point. That said there has always been a shadow behind the bad guy: Palpatine. The  celebration had props on display that refer to Imperial as part of the First Order and the Rebel Alliance is called the Resistence. I think this means the Rebels got kicked in the teeth sometime after the battle of Endor, maybe over Jakku like we see in the trailer

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Humble-Knight wrote:

Kylo Ren seems pretty well established in the force by this point. 

It could well be. But the reason I don't think he is and will have a similar but opposing arc to the character of Finn is there was a leaked picture of Adam Driver (who is speculated to play Kylo Ren) in an alliance air fighter outfit. It's a cool potential parallel right? Kylo starts Alliance, has a strong interest in Sith history/artifacts, becomes force sensitive, and goes down the dark side. Finn starts as an Imperiall, has a good moral compass, becomes force sensitive, and goes down the path of light. 

105% pure speculation at this point though. 

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Flashback? There have been rumors that Carrie Fisher's daughter is playing Leia in a flashback so a young Kylo Ren seems possible. That said I like the parallel.

On a different story question, does the Empire mean evil? So a man joins the dark side, and immediately switches sides? I believe in better storytelling than that. The difference between the factions is ideological, and while the Empire tends to attract bad cookies, people in the Alliance should be able to go bad too

cmschex
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 52 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 02, 2013

On the subject of Alliance going bad, my (unlikely) theory for mysterious Sith Lord training Kylo Ren is Luke

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Humble-Knight wrote:

The  celebration had props on display that refer to Imperial as part of the First Order and the Rebel Alliance is called the Resistence. I think this means the Rebels got kicked in the teeth sometime after the battle of Endor


That would be quite the break from the traditional interpretation of the end of Return of the Jedi - that it was the death blow to the Empire, and the Empire's final fall was only a matter of time. I know they de-canonized the existing Expanded Universe, but yeesh....

There are certainly bad cookies in the Rebel Alliance, but they're more the...scoundrel type than the outright evil. One thing that has always been a part of Star Wars is the unambiguous good versus evil element. I just don't see J.J. going all Winter Soldier on the Rebel Alliance.

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Humble-Knight wrote:

Flashback? There have been rumors that Carrie Fisher's daughter is playing Leia in a flashback so a young Kylo Ren seems possible. That said I like the parallel.

Flashbacks are always possible and could be game changers. That's a good point I never thought of. With the quote from RotJ in the new trailer, flashbacks seem likely dont they?

Humble-Knight wrote:

On a different story question, does the Empire mean evil? So a man joins the dark side, and immediately switches sides? I believe in better storytelling than that. The difference between the factions is ideological, and while the Empire tends to attract bad cookies, people in the Alliance should be able to go bad too

Maybe Empire = Evil and Rebels = Good was true in a sense, but I would really like the new movies to steer away from that stark dichotomy into something more nuanced. To me a galactic cold war between two super powers seems a likely setting, and usually neither side is totally on the right side of morality when we are talking full fledge decade long wars. Something to keep in mind is that the Empire =/= Dark Side. Thats a function of the Sith influence directed under Palpatine. I don't see any new full fledge Sith being tied to the Imperials as Palpatine was.

So if we are assessing the character of Finn starting off in the Imperial army, he was likely raised an Imperial his whole life and went to serve, just like born Americans or born Germans went to fight for their own countries. Finn might have come to some realisation that he doesn't belong there, and goes AWOL by stealing a TieFighter and nope-ing right on out of there. He was always a good dude born into a situation he didn't  belong to. Same could be said about my speculation on Kylo. Starts off in the Alliance, but has an itch for the Sith that he starts to scratch harder and harder, then finds he is force sensitive, and goes down the path of the Dark Side. Nothing about any of that says "joins the dark side then immediatly switches sides".

Imperial =/= Dark Side

Alliance =/= Light Side

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Foote wrote:
Maybe Empire = Evil and Rebels = Good was true in a sense from a certain point of view.

ftfy


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

I agree that the Battle of Endor was a major blow to the Empire, but despite how many Star Destroyers were destroyed, the Galaxy is a big place. It's not truly surprising that a rich government that spans a huge sector of space isn't really hurt that bad from one bad battle, especially if you think about how hard the Alliance was hit at the same time. 

As to the evil in the Alliance, I'm not saying that there is a major faction of terrorists in command, but instead there are individual zealots who are opposed to the Imperials on principal, rather than because they're at war. Since you brought up the EU, look at Kyp Durron when you first meet him. He is a slave, and hates the Empire because of it. He then blows up an Imperial training planet. He is an extremist, just like the Emperor and Vader were extremists.

The difference between the average Rebel and the average Imperial is small, one believes in the freedom of choice and the other in the safety of established rule. Fascism vs democracy. 

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Foote wrote:
 Same could be said about my speculation on Kylo. Starts off in the Alliance, but has an itch for the Sith that he starts to scratch harder and harder, then finds he is force sensitive, and goes down the path of the Dark Side. Nothing about any of that says "joins the dark side then immediatly switches sides". Imperial =/= Dark SideAlliance =/= Light Side

I agree with you, except he is seen leading Stormtroopers in the new trailer. If he starts with the alliance, he ends with the Imperials. If they are going that route, descent to the dark side equates to defection, for some reason. I don't support this, I think it's bad storytelling, but the evidence presented supports this
Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Humble-Knight wrote:

I agree that the Battle of Endor was a major blow to the Empire, but despite how many Star Destroyers were destroyed, the Galaxy is a big place. It's not truly surprising that a rich government that spans a huge sector of space isn't really hurt that bad from one bad battle, especially if you think about how hard the Alliance was hit at the same time. As to the evil in the Alliance, I'm not saying that there is a major faction of terrorists in command, but instead there are individual zealots who are opposed to the Imperials on principal, rather than because they're at war. Since you brought up the EU, look at Kyp Durron when you first meet him. He is a slave, and hates the Empire because of it. He then blows up an Imperial training planet. He is an extremist, just like the Emperor and Vader were extremists.The difference between the average Rebel and the average Imperial is small, one believes in the freedom of choice and the other in the safety of established rule. Fascism vs democracy. 

I agree with all of this. That's how I see it as well.

The Battle of Endor was huge no doubt, and it will establish the Rebels as a superpower in their own right (I wouldn't be surprised to Leia is the head of the entire Alliance ruling out of Corellia or something). The "Empire" might have been abolished however with the death of it's head Palpatine, leaving just the Imperial part behind and a massive power vaccume (that no doubt someone ended up filling I'd imagine). Notice that the Imperial symbol in the 2nd Trailer is not that of the old Empire from the original triology. It's new, signifying a new era perhaps.

As for the morality of the Alliance and Imperials, I'd like to think that in a major war spanning decades, if either side had a "Death Star" like weapon to obliterate every man, woman, and child on the other side, I think both sides would end up give it major consideration. JJ has said this movie has a much darker tone, and a galactic dystopia in the mists of a cold war seems appropriate for that vision.

The difference between the average Rebel and the average Imperial is small

100%

---------------

Luke

What do you think Luke's role has been since the Battle of Endor? I already mentioned I think that any major Sith would probably focus on their own agenda and not really take part in the larger galactic war, and I think there is a bigger fish out there than Kylo Ren. 20-30 years later, Luke is probably Yoda+ levels strong by this point and is without a doubt training future generations of Jedi, especially now that the "force awoke", so to speak. I'll be very interested to see Luke's philosophy on where the Jedi Order stands and what their role in the galaxy should be.

Will he continue the older ideals that the Jedi should be a galactic peacekeeping organization? Or will he be shying away from the greater galactic conflict between the Alliance and Imperials, knowing that those kinds of politics lead to the eventual downfall of the entire previous order and swallowed his father into the Dark Side?

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Humble-Knight wrote:
Foote wrote:
 Same could be said about my speculation on Kylo. Starts off in the Alliance, but has an itch for the Sith that he starts to scratch harder and harder, then finds he is force sensitive, and goes down the path of the Dark Side. Nothing about any of that says "joins the dark side then immediatly switches sides". Imperial =/= Dark SideAlliance =/= Light Side

 

I agree with you, except he is seen leading Stormtroopers in the new trailer. If he starts with the alliance, he ends with the Imperials. If they are going that route, descent to the dark side equates to defection, for some reason. I don't support this, I think it's bad storytelling, but the evidence presented supports this

Yeah this is very fair. I hadn't considered that. I'm sure there could be ways to make that work and still be satisfying story telling. It's really more about how you connect the dots rather than what the dots are. 

Consider this. Kylo Ren could be hunting for Anakins Lightsaber, which is in the possesion of Rey and Finn, the latter of whom is an AWOL Imperial Trooper. Imperials are no doubt looking for Finn (this might be where the girl who plays Briane of Tarth's character in GoT comes in as an Imperial Officer, maybe even the Chrome Trooper!). Kylo Ren might not be defecting in a strict sense, but their goals would be sort of running parallel at that point and working together would make sense. So in that view, Kylo leading  storm troopers doesn't mean he has any loyalty to the Imperials or their agenda.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Foote wrote:

Yeah this is very fair. I hadn't considered that. I'm sure there could be ways to make that work and still be satisfying story telling. It's really more about how you connect the dots rather than what the dots are. Consider this. Kylo Ren could be hunting for Anakins Lightsaber, which is in the possesion of Rey and Finn, the latter of whom is an AWOL Imperial Trooper. Imperials are no doubt looking for Finn (this might be where the girl who plays Briane of Tarth's character in GoT comes in as an Imperial Officer, maybe even the Chrome Trooper!). Kylo Ren might not be defecting in a strict sense, but their goals would be sort of running parallel at that point and working together would make sense. So in that view, Kylo leading  storm troopers doesn't mean he has any loyalty to the Imperials or their agenda.

I think that is better than a straight defection "FOR POWER", but having the main villain have no stake in the fight? That's weak. But then maybe the fight isn't Alliance vs Empire anymore, but it's something else. I am having trouble articulating some of the ideas I am having, but I am struggling balancing the very clear picture that the Imperials are the bad guys, and the thought that they don't have to be. Kylo Ren works with the Imperials; he appears to be one of them. But we have the very clear example of Finn being an Imperial who isn't a bad guy. And then we have someone who appears to defect from the Rebels to the empire and is the bad guy. The patterns point me to a knot that is impossible to untie. 

So I am going to throw out a new idea and hope it fits somehow. Luke has been in hiding for the interim, because both sides of the conflict don't want another Vader. A leader who is pratically immortal, has powers beyond anyone else's understanding and though he was a leader in the organization, a democracy by definition has differing viewpoints on how issues should be addressed. The Rebels want him to militarize the Jedi Order, he doesn't want to, and goes into hiding. Leia maintains her position because she never develop her powers and no one knows they are actually siblings.

Just a potential idea, don't really have any strong feelings one way or another over it.

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Humble-Knight wrote:

I agree that the Battle of Endor was a major blow to the Empire, but despite how many Star Destroyers were destroyed, the Galaxy is a big place.  

I never thought that the Rebel victory at Endor set up the collapse of the Empire because of the number of Star Destroyers exploded. In my mind, the Empire's fall after that point was inevitable because of the death of Palpatine.

How much of the Empire's structure, success, power, policy, and morality was due to Palpatine, personally? Most of it, I think. I also think that's the reason why Empire = evil, though there's plenty of room for individuals in the Imperial forces to be good, at all levels of leadership.

Palpatine himself was unambiguously evil, and what he wanted, the Empire did. Without him holding everything together - probably through Force-augmented means - the Empire was set to crumble. I think my interpretation is consistent with the EU, including the (shudder) Kevin Anderson parts.

This all makes me like Foote's power vacuum idea. If the Emperor's will WAS instrumental in holding the Empire together, an ambitious, immoral Force user has an opportunity...

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Feb 23, 2013

Palapatine was the mind, Vader the enforcer. The Empire lost both pretty much simultaneously.

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Humble-Knight wrote:

I think that is better than a straight defection "FOR POWER", but having the main villain have no stake in the fight? That's weak. But then maybe the fight isn't Alliance vs Empire anymore, but it's something else.  I am having trouble articulating some of the ideas I am having, but I am struggling balancing the very clear picture that the Imperials are the bad guys, and the thought that they don't have to be

This is exactly what I'm thinking. We already have the original trilogys plot be driven by the Rebel vs Empire struggle, and the prequels driven by the political struggle that lead to the Empire. I think it would be really cool if the Alliance vs. Imperial war was just a backdrop, a set and setting in which the larger story finds itself in instead of being what drives the plot. Who knows, but I like the idea.

Also, here is another thing to chew on: What if the new Imperials don't lament the loss of Palpatine? What if they see the old regime as all lies and corrupt and what lead to their eventual downfall? They might still have a very different outlook on how they want to run the galaxy (evidenced by the continual fighting between the Alliance), but I would really like to think that this war won't be portrayed as a black and white battle of good vs evil. That's just my hope.

I think both sides of the war are going to have surprising reactions to the "force awakening" and the influx of force-sentive people weilding this kind of power, and maybe this will be how they show that neither side is going to be totally in the morally white area. But that's kinda dependent on how I interpret what the title could mean. It makes sense though doesn't it? The prequels dealt with the supression of the Force with the extermination and hunting of almost every single Jedi. The Original trilogy was about bringing balance to the force. The new trilogy's trajectory could be about the Force pushing back and expanding. 

All this is kinda just baseless speculation at this point. I need Christmas to come yesterday.

tarsonas
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: Jul 06, 2013

And yet no one is talking about the final line in the trailer where Han says "we're home" which is a reference to them getting the Falcon back. Makes you wonder if Lando kept it and ran after Endor. Or something else happens.

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

It would definitely be foolish to think that the Empire just ceases to exist after Endor. If you look at the history of the Star Wars universe, there has nearly always been a monolithic xenophobic organisation. Not to mention multiple rises and falls of the Sith, sometimes in tandem with that organisation. If you look at the Separatist movement versus the Republic, you can see how sides change. This is a mirror of the real world, in how decadence and superiority often ends in a switch of powers (and perceived "evil").


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

In the EU, the Galactic Civil War lasts for about 15 years after the Endor.  Then about 6 years after that theres a galactic invasion of an alien race, which lasts 5 years.  I'd guess that they'll keep the 15 year timeline for the Civil War, even if they change all the details, but they'll cut out the alien invasion.


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
PlaytesterBolster Allies
Joined: Apr 10, 2013

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!


Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Joined: Sep 09, 2011

I'm not so excited about Grandpa Solo. I was hoping we'd see him standing next to Leia in some senate chamber, they metaphorically pass the torch, and that's it. I certainly don't need for him to be the one flying the Falcon in this movie, if that's what's implied by "we're home". He might break a hip. 

A second gen Solo flying the Falcon with Chewie in the co-pilot seat, though? I'm all in. 


Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

Foote
Foote's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
PlaytesterHarmony
Joined: Apr 09, 2013

Spiff wrote:

. A second gen Solo flying the Falcon with Chewie in the co-pilot seat, though? I'm all in. 

thats gonna be Oscar issacs character

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

Gah. I'm still so hyped. Nick and I just finished our watch through of all six movies tonight. We've been watching one each weekend that I'm not traveling. As soon as we finished, had to go back and watch both trailers again. I just want it to be in theatres now.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

During the "We're home" part, I didn't feel much nostalgia hearing Han say that, but when Chewie roared, that made me smile.


Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Dec 13, 2014

Craig wrote:

all four movies


Fixed it for you! (I will allow Revenge of the Sith, provided it is watched after The Empire Strikes Back.)
Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

Trajector wrote:
Craig wrote:
all four movies

Fixed it for you! (I will allow Revenge of the Sith, provided it is watched after The Empire Strikes Back.)

False. I said what I intended. Just because you don't enjoy all six doesn't mean I don't. I'll take any Star Wars I can get.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Craig wrote:
False. I said what I intended. Just because you don't enjoy all six doesn't mean I don't. I'll take any Star Wars I can get.

Any? Even the Life Day Special?


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Craig
Craig's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Admin
Joined: Apr 18, 2012

Matchstickman wrote:
Craig wrote:
False. I said what I intended. Just because you don't enjoy all six doesn't mean I don't. I'll take any Star Wars I can get.

Any? Even the Life Day Special?

Man, if I'm craving Star Wars enough, I'd watch Star Wars Kid if I had to.


Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Joined: Sep 09, 2011

Nielzabub wrote:

During the "We're home" part, I didn't feel much nostalgia hearing Han say that, but when Chewie roared, that made me smile.

Me too!  Han needs to go take a nap before bingo starts, but Chewie needs to grab his bowcaster and come along on the adventure.


Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 26, 2013

Star Wars boo.

The basic story of a new hope is good, but then he flat out copied it from an awesome Kurosawa film so it would be.

Empire is one of the better 2nd films of a trilogy, but it is a melodrama.

Return of the Jedi on feel like they were designed to sell merch.  It's four movies of "check this out, the toy will be out soon!"

The special effects of the original trilogy, and the brilliant use of costumes and muppets make it significant, and watchable, but they aren't good, just fun.

The prequels were silly, and if it weren't for Darths and Droids they would have no redeeming qualities at all.

I want the new movies to be good, the universe has such great potential, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Trying to walk the line connecting the old stuff is going to be really hard, I don't expect a miracle so my expectations are low.

Pages