SotM Weekend - Event #3 - Around the World in 80 Plays...with Vengeance!

132 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM Weekend - Event #3 - Around the World in 80 Plays...with Vengeance!

For this game, you job is to play in as many environments as possible. Simple put your name on the left, and add a point every time you play in a specific environment: Around the World in 80 Plays...With Vengeance! 

Here is how the scoring works:

• The first time you play any environment, you get 2 points. After that 1 point.
  • Each time you complete every environment in a set, you gain a bonus: 4 points for the core set, and 2 points for the other sets and both mini-expansions.
  • Each time you complete all of the environments you have, you get an addtional point per environment. For example, if you only have the core set, Shattered Timelines and SIlver Gulch, and you complete all of them, you get an additional 7 points.

So if you complete every environment once you would have: 48 points.

Here's the big news:

If we have a total of 300 points, one of the Vengeance environments will be revealed.

If each environment has at least 10 points, one of the Vengeance environments will be revealed.

Start time: Friday, November 8th, 12:00 AM CST

End Time: Sunday, November 10th, 11:59 PM CST

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Excellent!  I've historically made a point of playing all environments a nearly equal number of times (currently they're all between 4 and 6), so this challenge will come easily to me, and unlike last weekend I have absolutely nothing else to do.  The only sad part is that I can't start until the day after tomorrow.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I keep forgeting the Vengeance Environments have not been revealed!

I am taking side bets here folks! Where do YOU think the Vengeance grudge matches are going to go down?

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I believe that we'll see either a "Vengeful Five Headquarters" or "Freedom V HQ" (if not both...though I still could swear that it was confirmed there was only one Environment).  I base this assumption on the Main Computer Room from Time Cataclysm...while its art is taken from the Freedom 4 comic, it has a unique HP canton not found anywhere else in Sentinels, and I think that it's less likely that this was done just for the sake of itself, than that it was a sneaky Vengeance preview.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

There are two environments.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Foote wrote:

I keep forgeting the Vengeance Environments have not been revealed!I am taking side bets here folks! Where do YOU think the Vengeance grudge matches are going to go down?

Hmm...

1. Legacy's rural home town.  Need to allow flying cows to be a hazard, odd things concealed in corn fields, and crotchety old farmers yelling at heroes to get off their lawn.

2. More time travel - mideval period.  Knights, fair maidens, Viking raiders, peasant communes, robbers with a heart of gold and possibly a dragon to complicate things further.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Envisioner wrote:

though I still could swear that it was confirmed there was only one Environment

When it was first announced it was going to only come with one environment, it was later upped to having 2.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Oaktree wrote:
Hmm... 1. Legacy's rural home town.

Amusing as this is, Legacy is not Superman.  His family have been American heroes for generations; he probably grew up as famous as JFK Jr.  I believe he's explicitly from Chicago, before moving to Megalopolis.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Some poeple already signed up. I am getting excited.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Envisioner wrote:

Oaktree wrote:
Hmm... 1. Legacy's rural home town.

Amusing as this is, Legacy is not Superman.  His family have been American heroes for generations; he probably grew up as famous as JFK Jr.  I believe he's explicitly from Chicago, before moving to Megalopolis.

Quite true.  But doing a non-city but otherwise appearing mundane location would still be an option.  I just heaped it with the usual set of comic rural stereotypes.  :)

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Pydro wrote:

Some poeple already signed up. I am getting excited.

I'll give it a shot, but traveling on Sunday will limit play time to just Friday evening and some on Saturday depending on other committments.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, unfortunately, camping is going prevent me from getting any games in this coming weekend, so I'm not going to be able to support the effort. Sorry, folks! I love this idea, though - thanks, Pydro!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Challenge Accepted, don't worry Rabit, we'll carry you this time.

Any rules about what villains or advanced mode being used, or can we all run Ambuscade in Rook City so it isn't a real threat?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Heroes and villains don't matter, just the variety of environments.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'll do what I can. I have the core set + Silver Gulch, so 5 games from me would net 17 points, I think. One of those games shall be Living Campaign 2 chapter 3D, as it's the only game in a while I've been able to contribute to.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

If I do all twelve I get 48.

If I do them a second time I would get 12 for doing each one a second time, then an additional point for each environment, for another 12 right?

So I could play 24 games and get 72 points?

I don't think I can pull that off, but it is worth a shot.  Environments must be revealed.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Pydro wrote:

If we have a total of 300 points, one of the Vengeance environments will be revealed.

If each environment has at least 10 points, one of the Vengeance environments will be revealed. 

I've been thinking, would it really be fair for me to contribute to these rewards? It seems like these rewards are targeted towards non-playtesters. I'm sure they feel like they should unlock them on their own, without the help of them nasty playtesters...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:

Pydro wrote:
If we have a total of 300 points, one of the Vengeance environments will be revealed.If each environment has at least 10 points, one of the Vengeance environments will be revealed. 

I've been thinking, would it really be fair for me to contribute to these rewards? It seems like these rewards are targeted towards non-playtesters. I'm sure they feel like they should unlock them on their own, without the help of them nasty playtesters...

While I do admit that those rotten playtesters ruin everything, and are dirty cheating know-it-alls, I for one would be willing to forge a temporary alliance, as I'm sure a reduction in the redactions around here would benefit everyone.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Six people doing the 12 match marathon puts us at 276 points, and 12 points on each environment.

So if six of us can run all twelve, and others add in what they can we will get this done.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just to be clear, if we hit our goals, Christopher will reveal the environments. Sorry playtesters, but this is Christopher's privilege.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Hmm... Just noticed that is just says playing in an environment. So even games where we lose can be added?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

Just to be clear, if we hit our goals, Christopher will reveal the environments. Sorry playtesters, but this is Christopher's privilege.

Wouldn't have it any other way! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

Hmm... Just noticed that is just says playing in an environment. So even games where we lose can be added?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Since you can choose the heroes and villain, if I made it only wins, many people would choose a great team against a weak villain. I didn't want that. To complete the series once (you can do it more than that), you need to play 12 games. I would much rather you played 12 interesting and fun games, than having an auto-win on everyone. As long as people don't purposely lose to input games faster, have fun and enjoy yourself this weekend.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I'm glad you don't have to win all the games, as sometimes you just get screwed.  But maybe to make it more sporting, say that a player can only complete one "set" at each difficulty level.  I doubt that anyone's actually going to play 48 games, but if they do, the last four have to be against IL, The Matriarch or The Chairman, or possibly advanced versions of various 3s.  And if they want to loop a fifth time...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

That is good to know, I'll have a lot more fun putting together a theme match for each environment than I would have grinding out wins.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'll still playing random, only difference is I will check off environments that have already been completed, just to ensure that every environment gets a go.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Ah, foo. I'd been about to count my living campaign game 3D, then caught the Friday start time. Delete the row, I guess.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

12 HOURS UNTIL GAME TIME!!!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oh man, just realized it starts central time, so that's 1am here.  I won't get any in tonight.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

IT BEGINS!!!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

So I'm doing an idea I had a while ago.

Each game will be 2 heroes and a support deck at (H)=3.  Each match is based around a nemesis pairing, the main Hero gets to bring a friend, and then I pick a support deck that isn't overpowered and has thematically solid character cards.  (the support deck is 5 Hero Character cards on their incap side, they count as the third hero, on the support deck turn each hero picks an incap from the top card, then discard it, when the deck is empty it gets reshuffled)  I'll do one for each environment.

I imagine these events to be part of an "Alternate Destiny" line of one-shots that don't affect canon.

I'll log them all here if anyone wants to look and see how they go.

#1.  The Block:  Vengeful Baron Blade (adv) vs. Legacy and Bunker (AZ, F6tempest, Tachyon, AZ, Waith)

The freedom 5 assembles, Baron Blade has gotten loose in the Block and they need help containing him.  Little do they know they are walking into a trap.  The rest of the team is seperated from them as Baron Blade springs his trap, and his chance at vengence is at hand.

Result:  Blade wins. Probably shouldn't have played him on advanced.

#2.  The Final Wasteland:  Akash'Bhuta vs. The Argent Adept and Ra (Fanatic, EHaka, Tempest, The Scholar, Visionary)

The Argent Adept woke up, and looked around him.  "Quiet my friend, it hunts us still."  Blake was gone from the face of his ally, the being before him burned with the power of a god.  "We have to face it, it's the only way to end this."  Anthony replied, "I am ready."  Ra thought of the friends they had lost since falling through the portal into this cursed land.

"Then let us face this destiny together."

Result:  Easy win for heroes, Akash at (H)=3 is weak, esp. non-advanced.

#3.  Insula Primalis:  Ambuscade (adv) vs. Haka and Bunker EOW (Tachyon, TempestF6, Fanatic, Ra, Adept)

Haka stepped off the plane with Stephen Graves.

"Thank you for helping me, we cannot allow the hunter to kill these animals, they are the last of their kind."  Haka said to the one man who could stand toe to toe with him.

"It's the least I can do, I must atone for the wrongs of my life."

Result:  Ambuscade wins.  3 quick Obsidian fields made it a quick match a last turn chain of cards for Ambuscade won him the match, he was dead if we lived.

#4.  Megalopolis:  Omnitron (adv) vs. Omnitron-X and Unity (Expat, RCWraith, Legacy, Visionary, Tempest {no play a card abilities})

"Where are you taking me?"  Unity asked the robot from the future.

"You must follow.  You must help." was the reply she got.

He led her to the Entrance of a large warehouse that had all sorts of warning signs on it.  When the doors opened she could see why they were there.

"I thought it was destroyed. . ."

"Intruders must not survive." The massive machine rose up, the building folding and twisting into the sides of the robot.

Result:  Omnitron wins.  No equipment for Unity and 2 EPE's early on for Omni made it a quick game.  Crappy game all around.

#5.  Pike Industrial Complex:  Friend of My BiL was over, we played a game in Pike vs. the rat, didn't follow the nemesis mode, but we won.  Fanatic Legacy Visionary and Adv. Rat had Fanatic at +4 before TtE, she did 40 damage to Rat round two. (16 self damage)

#6.  Realm of discord:  People still over, did Gloomy (adv) in Realm of Discord with Nightmist, Fixer and RC Wraith, win by knocking out Gloomy's health, Nightmist redirecting portal fiend while Wraith fed the environment trash.

#7.  Rook City:  Tried my Spite remake, really liked it, was a nasty match, but quick.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

phantaskippy wrote:
Vengeful Baron Blade...I forgot he destroys so many cards when he flips

Er...was this information you were supposed to keep to yourself for a few more months?  O_o

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think phantaskippy meant Bomber Blade, not Vengeful.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

Result:  Easy win for heroes, forgot how weak Akash at (H)=3 is, esp. since I went non-advanced.  S

But man oh man is her advanced flip side ever so painful at H=3

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

@Envisioner

You get 2 points the first time you play each environment. I changed the number for you.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

I think phantaskippy meant Bomber Blade, not Vengeful.

Vengeful Baron Blade is the name I keep getting for the Promo.  Mad Bomber is just his first side.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

phantaskippy wrote:
Result:  Easy win for heroes, forgot how weak Akash at (H)=3 is, esp. since I went non-advanced.  S

But man oh man is her advanced flip side ever so painful at H=3

Yeah, I was remembering that, so I decided to go normal, but normal that side is weak.  I flooded the field with cards and took so little damage.

Of course Adept getting off two power chains each round is a bit sick, he benefits more from support decks than other heroes.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Vengeance Environments:

First one I'm thinking another structure, like a base or something.

Second one will be outside, we don't have a frozen Environment yet.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

well the freedom 6 variants of Bunker and Wraith teamed up with Mr. Fixer to take on Advanced Akash Bhuta in the Realm of Discord. it was a very close and painful game, and despite being ensnared for much of the game Mr. Fixer was by far the mvp. Poor Wraith failed to make it to the end. It was a strange game as none of my opening strategies came to fruition and I ended up using a few card combinations for the first time ever. It's great that i'm still finding new stuff to surprise me after gawd knows how many games!

I'll try to log the game and hopefully get a couple more in this weekend :-)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Mezike wrote:

well the freedom 6 variants of Bunker and Wraith teamed up with Mr. Fixer to take on Advanced Akash Bhuta in the Realm of Discord. it was a very close and painful game, and despite being ensnared for much of the game Mr. Fixer was by far the mvp. Poor Wraith failed to make it to the end. It was a strange game as none of my opening strategies came to fruition and I ended up using a few card combinations for the first time ever. It's great that i'm still finding new stuff to surprise me after gawd knows how many games!I'll try to log the game and hopefully get a couple more in this weekend :-)

What was a strange card combination that you havn't used before?

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I wouldn't say that the combos were strange, they were just things that I had never done before or had the need to consider. For example, whilst Fixer was caught in the brambles I was making heavy use of Toolbox - I've always considered him a very versatile character but had never truly seen that in action until I spammed Toolbox for a couple of turns. He turned into a real powerhouse whilst allowing the other characters to keep their weapons in action.

The most fun moment was when Bunker dropped into turret mode then ran out of cards to power the gatling gun. I figured I would let it go and make a tough choice between continuing to heap on the damage as we were suffering from the -1 to Villain targets, or to drop out of turret mode to recharge cards with no guarantee of getting back there again. Wraith peeked into the villain deck and we were going to be hit with losing either Ongoings or Equipment, either of which would have been disasterous. Then a lightbulb went off and for the first time ever I made good use of Salvage Yard. Akash trashed Bunkers gat which was going to go anyway, Wraith trashed her stuff to make up the balance. Fixer put a heap of cards into Bunkers hand solving two problems for him at once, and also put some useful weapons back into Fixers hands at just the point that he was able to start doing some really effective damage again. I calculated that I could put Wraith into the brambles to free up Fixer and between Fixer and Bunker they would be able to wipe all of the Villain targets in one round so it made sense for the Wraith to indulge in a little self sacrifice.

It was a seamless and beautiful moment for the heroes.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Initializing...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Oaktree wrote:

Initializing...

nope, Locomotion, I was playing the variant.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Scholar Vs. Ennead. Dear gods, that was a painful one... It just went on and on, you know?

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

2 games completed:

1) Kismet at Wagner Mars Base vs.  Young Legacy, Ra, and Omnitron-X

Hero victory in 7 Rounds.  First two pounded away while Omnitron handled Environment Deck and chipped in.

2) La Capitan at The Block vs. Absolute Zero, Fanatic, and Ra

Hero victory in a tightly contested 19 Rounds.  First time I've beaten La Capitan!  Abzolute Zero never really got started and was out by Round 7.  Fanatic played End of Days in Round 3 to clear out a clot of crew right after the ship was shot down.  Key after that was Fanatic having Zealous Offense and play and being able to keep La Capitan herself and a crew or Environment card inmate in check.  Ra pounded away in the meantime.  By the last round there were 6-7 crew back in play (damn Boarding Parties) and Fanatic was down to 3 HP or so.  Ra kept getting hit by a "cannot use powers" effect, but made due by playing Scorched Earth and using the stack of Lockdown and FILTER guard cards in play to cause havoc.

On to the next environment.  (Will get these into the database later tonight.)

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

So you know, Oak tree, Zealous Offense doesn't work against character cards--you can't stop La Capitan's damage with it. Her crew, yes, but not her.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Well after the kids were in bed, I finally pulled out to box & ran what I thought would be a quick 3-hero game of Legacy/Ra/Unity against Baron Blade. Since Atlantis was low on the point board, I used it. Big mistake.

Legacy started with a respectable hand that included both Inspiring Presence and Motivational Charge, but struggled to get going after that. Ra performed well, but ate lots of Backlash Field damage, including right after causing the Baron to flip, with the retaliation damage incapacitating him. Unity had been mercilessly pummeled by a Kraken for a couple of turns (although I think after the fact it's possible one of the Baron's Turrets might have been lower than she was when the Kraken finally knocked her out). I was suprised by the number of cards in the Baron's trash - 10, I think, although his end-of-turn damage immediately after flipping was enough to take out Legacy in one fell swoop.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

So you know, Oak tree, Zealous Offense doesn't work against character cards--you can't stop La Capitan's damage with it. Her crew, yes, but not her.

D'oh!  That probably would have made a difference!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

So if there's five of us playing in G+ games, we only get the points once, right? ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I would think since each of you is a player, you would each count that you had played in that environment.

This isn't about total number of games, but about each person playing in different environments.  Just like they avoided you having to win to count the game, I doubt they would want to encourage solo games over multi-player games.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

More games completed before bedtime...

3) Baron Blade (adv) at Insula Primalis vs Unity Golem, Tempest, and Chrono-Ranger.

8 Round hero victory.  Good mix of heroes interacting.  Main thing was CR getting some bounties on Baron Blade and just plinking him to pieces with one-shots and Compound Bow.

4) Voss & Friends at The Final Wasteland vs Ra, Team Leader Tachyon, and Chrono-Ranger.

Another 8 round hero victory.  Voss went down right before his first Forced Deployment would have activated.  (Though Ra had a Scorched Earth waiting for it, plus others had cards ready as well once they rode out the damage.)  Again, Chrono-Ranger got equipment and bounties out and went to town.  Ra laughed at Jersey Devil attacks, and one of the latter ate one of Voss' minions as well.  Due to TLT power all the heroes had massive hands of cards to work from.

5) La Capitan seeks revenge! at the Ruins of Atlantis vs. Redeemer Fanatic, Legacy, and Unity.

A 12 Round fight that the heroes eked out.  No Zealous Offense played incorrectly this time.  End of Days used again in Round 3 to clear out a pile of crew (5) and some annoying Environment stuff.  Legacy had trouble getting a hand built and eventually discarded it twice to get rid of Toxic Seaweed.  La Capitan flipped with a stack of cards under her and things looked grim.  Fanatic chipped away at that along with some Unity one-shots and eventually La Capitan got flipped back over.  Legacy got a Take Down in and that slowed things enough for Unity to get a bot swarm going.   That and Kraken tentacles kept the crew sort of in check while La Capitan's HP got whittled away.  The turn before La Capitan was ready to flip again while having three crew out Fanatic got a Wrathful Retribution in for 25 HP damage.  Followed by a one-shot Thokk finish from Legacy, who had 1 HP remaining.  Unity's bots were almost gone at that point, and she had limited equipment for getting more out - though her swarm going down did noticable damage due to Cryobot and Volatile Parts doing damage.  At game end Legacy at 1 HP, Fanatic at 6 HP, and Unity at 5 HP. 

Pages