Soooo.... (Sentinel Comics RPG Office Hour)

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
defeateddust
defeateddust's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

My next question is for everyone: who wants to play online?

Sentinels the MMO? Handelabra has their work cut out for them.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Will this game be playable over the forum?  I've never done a play by forum RPG before but I know it's been done before.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Who is the Cursed Acolyte's enemy?

What is Cursed Acolyte's inspiration?

When is the Cursed acolyte going to make his grand return?

Where is Cursed Acolyte now?

Why is Cursed Acolyte not featured very often?

How is Cursed Acolyte dealing with his master's most recent defeat?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Settings?  I assume that the corebook will give us a bunch of info on Megalopolis and Rook City, but what about some of the other settings from the card game? Insula Primalis? Atlantis? Mars? Dok’Thorath? Discord?  

Definitely. The way the game system handles environments is great. Really, seriously great.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting;
but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

prutherford
Playtester

:)

seesome
seesome's picture

morph147 wrote:

Christopher wrote:
1) is this game essientially dungeons and dragons but Sentinels format?

No, definitely not.

1) Ok then I guess I am confused what this is actually going to be if its not a game like dungeon and dragons? Can you or someone else explain to me what this will be so I have an idea? I need to figure out how to get to Gen Con so I can play a demo of it.2) ok sounds good. Hope to see lots and lots of stories then to play through from both the forums and you guys. Hopefully as a community we can figure a way to keep track of all the stories people have made and easily retreive them.

I think what he means is that it will be like D&D in that it will be a role-playing game that has a gamemaster storytelling the adventure to players who control the actions of their characters, using dice and other methods to determin the outcomes of those actions.  But it won't be like D&D in that it will use and entirely different set of mechanics to build characters and run the game.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Can we get a bio of Bob the Blade Battalion? +10 internets for some one who gets that reference

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

[lots of questions about Cursed Acolyte from Ronway]

Eh, I'm thinking about retconning ol' C.A. from the Multiverse anyway... 

(JUST KIDDING!)

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

Rath
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

The answer to that is probably "everyone"

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

How "out of the box" are the mechanics?  Would you say that the rules-set skews with similarities towards an already-existing rpg?

seesome
seesome's picture

Did you pitch the RPG to Critical Hits or did they pitch it to you?  

What new elements that the RPG brings to the world of Sentinel Comics most excite you?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

How "out of the box" are the mechanics?  Would you say that the rules-set skews with similarities towards an already-existing rpg?

There are certainly recognizable elements, but it's very much its own system. And one that is VERY quick to pick up and play, in my opinion. Reading through an early draft of a rough rules doc set me ON FIRE for this game! There's a reason that we're working with these three talented gents.

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

Rath
Playtester

Is the character creation mostly streamlined(a la Apocalypse World or Numenera) or more nitty gritty and option focused (like pathfinder or 3.5 D&D)?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Did you pitch the RPG to Critical Hits or did they pitch it to you?

Hmm, that is a long and complicated story. One for another time, perhaps.

What new elements that the RPG brings to the world of Sentinel Comics most excite you?

SO MANY. I can't wait to show you all the character advancement, as that made me exclaim out loud with joy when I first read about it. Also, the way traits are used to overcome challenges is fantastic. And incapacitated abilities! Yeah. Lots of things.

Is the character creation mostly streamlined(a la Apocalypse World or Numenera) or more nitty gritty and option focused (like pathfinder or 3.5 D&D)?

More like the former than the latter.

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

seesome
seesome's picture

Miniatures!?!?  While I love the beautiful miniatures from Tactics, they're quite pricy.  Would you consider doing an official set of cardstock print and fold miniatures?

Is combat in the RPG fairly quick to resolve or does it turn into lengthy battles?  I've seen detailed combat in some RPGs take over the entire session to the point where there was little time for the role-playing.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Christopher.

For those who have never played or been a part of any kind of Tabletop RPG before (like me), how easy would it be to pick up the "core book" + whatever suppliment comes with the kickstarter and dive into a GM role? I guess I'm asking is the storytelling system easy to grasp and run with for total noobs to RPGs but who enjoy your characters.

Thanks.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I see that you have said that it is somewhat free-form, but I NEED structure. Is there at least somewhat of a hard guideline, when it comes to building powers and stuff? I don't like independent studies, because I can't deal with having so many open-ended options in front of me, and I am not necessarily great at balancing my own creations.

I take it there won't be classes and races, a la pathfinder, but will there at least be some mechanical function that limits/guides power progression?

Also, this is for Rath: is your name at all Summoner Wars related? If so, awesome. If not, I think I may have a cool avatar for you that you might like...

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Miniatures!?!? While I love the beautiful miniatures from Tactics, they're quite pricy. Would you consider doing an official set of cardstock print and fold miniatures?

You should not NEED miniatures for the Sentinel Comics RPG.

Is combat in the RPG fairly quick to resolve or does it turn into lengthy battles? I've seen detailed combat in some RPGs take over the entire session to the point where there was little time for the role-playing.

That's all up to the GM and what style of game they're running. That said, the combat is pretty streamlined and focused on progressing the action/story. Think of it more like combat in a superhero movie, rather than a training video on how to fight. Action and story over nitty-gritty details.

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

How does the game handle the issue of having a 'normal human' like Mister Fixer or Expatriette in the same group as someone like Legacy or Ra?  

I could see them being presented "FATE-style" where they each have specific skills that they're best at, but using the same overall track, but I could just as easily see them being on totally different power-tiers.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Platinum, I don't see THAT being too much of a problem. Compare Pathfinder's Monk with the Sorcerer.

Granted, Legacy is a bit more extreme, but he's more of a support character with some self-defense options, in all actuality.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

how easy would it be to pick up the "core book" + whatever suppliment comes with the kickstarter and dive into a GM role?

Not too hard, really. We're definitely focused on giving the GM the resources they need. We want that role to not be too intimidating.

I see that you have said that it is somewhat free-form, but I NEED structure. Is there at least somewhat of a hard guideline, when it comes to building powers and stuff? I don't like independent studies, because I can't deal with having so many open-ended options in front of me, and I am not necessarily great at balancing my own creations.

There are guidelines, but it is a more open-ended system.

I take it there won't be classes and races, a la pathfinder, but will there at least be some mechanical function that limits/guides power progression?

Possibly! That's more along the lines of what we're doing to create the book, rather than creating the system. Right now, we're more focused on the latter than the former.

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

Rath
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Also, this is for Rath: is your name at all Summoner Wars related? If so, awesome. If not, I think I may have a cool avatar for you that you might like...

It is not. It was one of my first D&D characters name.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

[lots of questions about Cursed Acolyte from Ronway]Eh, I'm thinking about retconning ol' C.A. from the Multiverse anyway...     (JUST KIDDING!)

And one from me that was skipped. :(

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

seesome
seesome's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

How does the game handle the issue of having a 'normal human' like Mister Fixer or Expatriette in the same group as someone like Legacy or Ra?  I could see them being presented "FATE-style" where they each have specific skills that they're best at, but using the same overall track, but I could just as easily see them being on totally different power-tiers.

That's a traditional problem for any Superhero RPG and it's generally solved through role-playing more than anything else.  It's really no different than the classic question of why does Superman need the Justice League?  A good game master builds storues with elements that let each player have their moments.

Besides, don't let The Wraith hear you talking smack against "normal human" heroes.  She could take out Legacy or Ra if she put her mind to it (she's probably got some plans for that already, just in case)

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

How does the game handle the issue of having a 'normal human' like Mister Fixer or Expatriette in the same group as someone like Legacy or Ra? 

Pretty similar to the way that the SotM card game does: everyone has their role and their place, and everyone is equally useful and important, even if not equally "powerful". 

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

Powerhound_2000

Will Handelabra make a video game of Sentinels RPG and turn it into a board game?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

And one from me that was skipped. :(

I wonder if it means something... or if Siege-Breaker is just getting an even bigger role?!

Nah, probably not.

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

seesome
seesome's picture

Will the RPG cover variant versions of the heroes, or just the base versions?

Will it introduce any new teams like the Prime Wardens or Dark Watch?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Will the RPG cover variant versions of the heroes, or just the base versions?

Will it introduce any new teams like the Prime Wardens or Dark Watch?

And now we're getting into material that we'll cover later on!

With that, we're well over an hour, so I'm going to go ahead and wrap up this office hour. It was great fielding all of your questions! I look forward to talking to you all more. There's lots of great things on the horizons, and we here at Greater Than Games couldn't be happier to be working with Critical-Hits Studios on this exciting project!

Now, it's time to go save the Multiverse!

but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

morph147

Silverleaf wrote:

yes I do. But how will we make that work.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

http://imgur.com/PaXVFKV

This is Rath, from Summoner Wars. He's pretty cool.

-- Trajector

morph147

Christopher wrote:

1) Ok then I guess I am confused what this is actually going to be if its not a game like dungeon and dragons? Can you or someone else explain to me what this will be so I have an idea? I need to figure out how to get to Gen Con so I can play a demo of it.

It's like D&D in that it's a Role-Playing Game, but it's very different from D&D in terms of system, focus, and story-telling style. Are you familiar with any tabletop RPGs other than D&D?

no. I just figured they were all D&D but with different characters and stories and that was it.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Powerhound_2000

Thanks for the time Christopher.  

morph147

seesome wrote:

morph147 wrote:
 Christopher wrote:
1) is this game essientially dungeons and dragons but Sentinels format? 

No, definitely not.

1) Ok then I guess I am confused what this is actually going to be if its not a game like dungeon and dragons? Can you or someone else explain to me what this will be so I have an idea? I need to figure out how to get to Gen Con so I can play a demo of it.2) ok sounds good. Hope to see lots and lots of stories then to play through from both the forums and you guys. Hopefully as a community we can figure a way to keep track of all the stories people have made and easily retreive them.

I think what he means is that it will be like D&D in that it will be a role-playing game that has a gamemaster storytelling the adventure to players who control the actions of their characters, using dice and other methods to determin the outcomes of those actions.  But it won't be like D&D in that it will use and entirely different set of mechanics to build characters and run the game.

yup this is what I ment.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

We totally need this in Roll20.

Also I'm very excited. YAY!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

defeateddust wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

Sentinels the MMO? Handelabra has their work cut out for them.

after they do sentinel tactics the video game

seesome
seesome's picture

Thanks Christopher!  Very excited about this new project! 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

Christopher wrote:
1) Ok then I guess I am confused what this is actually going to be if its not a game like dungeon and dragons? Can you or someone else explain to me what this will be so I have an idea? I need to figure out how to get to Gen Con so I can play a demo of it.

It's like D&D in that it's a Role-Playing Game, but it's very different from D&D in terms of system, focus, and story-telling style. Are you familiar with any tabletop RPGs other than D&D?

no. I just figured they were all D&D but with different characters and stories and that was it.

Oh, not by a long shot. They all have VASTLY different mechanics systems, in addition to the aforementioned different characters and stories.

-- Trajector

morph147

Silverleaf wrote:

We totally need this in Roll20.Also I'm very excited. YAY!

ya but I see this working well in the forums also. Idk what scares me is the game master role and how easy it will be to build stories for a group to play. Hopefully as a community we can come up with enough stories in a database and a rating system for those stories on how good they are to use that newer GM's or people who dont have time to make their own stories can just use the already created ones.

seesome
seesome's picture

morph147 wrote:

Christopher wrote:

D&D is the classic RPG, and the grandfather of many other games.  What you discover after playing different RPGs is that the rules that govern the mechanics of the game can dramatically affect the flavor of the game itself (which is why we were asking a bunch of questions related to those issues).  Some game systems have tons of rules that cover a huge variety of situations that might pop up during an adventure, while other are much more free-form and use the rules as a simple structure for the game master and players to tell an inveractive story with.  

Similarly, some games have very intricate character creation methods that assign points to every attribute and advantage, while others let players build whatever unbalanced thing they want.

I tend to prefer middle of the road stuff myself.

davethegame
davethegame's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

Hi folks,

I'm Dave, one of the designers working on the Sentinels RPG. I'm really excited to see so many people interested in the game we've been working on, and will be very happy to bring it to you all.

I wrote a little bit about the announcement on my site: http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2015/05/21/announcing-sentinels-of-the...

Working with GTG, we've come up with a two phase approach. The first is to design the fundamentals of the system, and make the characters from the core Sentinels set playable, along with some villains, environments, and plots. That's what you'll see at the sessions of Gen Con, and for the near future.

The second phase is to develop it into a full RPG, where we'll focus more on character creation, campaigns, etc. We have started on all of that with our current ruleset, but it's not quite fully developed enough to go indepth with yet. We want to get the rules into wider hands first to make the system it can be before we build other systems on top of it.

Freelance Game Designer and President of Critical-Hits Studios

critical-hits.com

seesome
seesome's picture

morph147 wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:
We totally need this in Roll20.Also I'm very excited. YAY!

ya but I see this working well in the forums also. Idk what scares me is the game master role and how easy it will be to build stories for a group to play. Hopefully as a community we can come up with enough stories in a database and a rating system for those stories on how good they are to use that newer GM's or people who dont have time to make their own stories can just use the already created ones. 

I used to GM a GURPS Supers campaign and I still have a bunch of story ideas that I never got around to using.  I suspect I may have to dust them off and see if my Deadlands RPG group wants to play Sentinels next year.

Cam Banks
Cam Banks's picture
Game Designer

Hey folks! I'm Cam, another of the designers on the RPG. I'm a huge fan of super hero games, and was lead designer on the recent Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game from Margaret Weis Productions. Now I work full time at Atlas Games and in between being a husband and father of two boys, I do freelance design and development work. I love collaborating with Dave and Phil and we've joined forces to create this game for GTG because we're big fans and want to do right by them and all of you.

Also, my favorite character is Haka, because like him I'm a New Zealander. :)

Cam Banks | Game Designer

Powerhound_2000

I look forward to hearing more about Sentinels RPG.  Just wish the kickstarter was sooner. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ugh. I miss all the fun stuff. Thanks to Christopher for answering, and the other Forumites for asking, questions on the nature of the RPG.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Rob Deobald

Well, I'm very excited!  The designers of Marvel Heroic doing a game described as "Kind of like Apocalypse World but different." based on Sentinels of the Multiverse... I cannot imagine how you will possibly be able to squeeze any more of the things I like into one project! ;)

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Lots of comparisons and questions with DnD- which is understandable, with DnD being the biggest name in RPGs. But I'm more curious about comparing it to the RPG that best matches Sentinels' theme: What will this bring to the table that can't already be done with Mutants and Masterminds in a Sentinels setting? M&M is best when you buy the peanutbutter kind, and avoid dark chocolate already a fairly narrative-focused game with heavily customizable heroes, and it sounds like SCRPG is going to be going down the same route to a degree; what will you be doing to make sure that there's enough difference between the two that it won't be a redundant product for those that are already interested in Mutants and Masterminds?

MightySi
MightySi's picture

Hey Silverleaf, I'm in! :)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I think M&M from what I remember is on the "crunchy" side. Sounds like this will be more streamlined and story-focused.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Pages