90 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Sentinels of Freedom

A new turn-based tacictal adventure coming to Kickstarter April 2018

https://www.sentinelsoffreedomgame.com/

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Edited by: arenson9 on Jan 14 2018 - 12:23am
Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

"Turn-based tactics video game" and "Sentinels" in the same sentence.

[has little hearts appear over her eyes]

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cool!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Based on screenshots seen on reddit months ago I would not have thought turn based.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

ohmygodyes

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

Looks like it's being developed by Underbite Games, a company which has just one existing game to its credit: Super Dungeon Tactics. Never heard of it myself. Steam reviews are decent. Only one Metacritic review, which is awful. Anyone familiar with it?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Jeysie wrote:

"Turn-based tactics video game" and "Sentinels" in the same sentence.[has little hearts appear over her eyes]

IT

IS

MY

WISH

bolnerap

I have a very checkered history with Kickstarter video games, but I'm hoping for the best as someone who plays an awful lot of SOTM and has played Final Fantasy Tactics so many times that I've genuinely lost count.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

Damnit, GTG! You've already got my wallet crying in pain! Why you do this to me?!

But for serious, I'm hoping this turns out well. A Kickstarter for a boardgame is one thing, but videogames are a whole different can of worms.(We've all heard the horror stories of Yogscast, Mighty No. 9 and so on...) Especially a company with only one game under their belt, dealing with a IP with such a dedicated fanbase. Handelabra at least had a chance to prove themself with the base set of SotM before they had their first campaign.

But Underbite does seem to have experience, and those models do look good. So I'll strive to keep a positive attitude and make sure to donate on day one. :)

Powerhound_2000

I only hope they don’t launch at the same time or overlap with the RPG core book as I think that would impact how many people can pledge on it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

Ah yeah, that could be a problem. Let's hope they space the two out by at least a month or two...

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Based on screenshots seen on reddit months ago I would not have thought turn based.   

Uh... Really? You say this and don't share a link?! 

wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Rabit wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Uh... Really? You say this and don't share a link?! wink

Here’s what I posted back then. It’s not much. This was a 30 second part of the 20 minute loop outside the GTG room at GenCon. Christopher just said that it was “a secret video game for the future” when I asked him about it after the LP recording, so it’s not like there was a lot of info on it.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

bolnerap wrote:

and has played Final Fantasy Tactics

Uh, oh. "Turn-based tactical game" made me think XCOM-style, like a digitized version of Sentinel Tactics where the player has a squad of heroes against a computerized villain, going on story missions. Do you think it instead meant JRPG-style, where all your guys are arrayed against all their guys and you just take turns picking which attack animation to do?
bolnerap

Oh, I don't think Sentinels of Freedom is going to be JRPG-style, FFT has just been my personal go-to game for about 15 years whenever I need some video game comfort food. So I'll be over here ignoring that last clause. :)

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture

I'm throwing my money at my computer screen, but it's not helping April get here any sooner!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

WalkingTarget wrote:

Here’s what I posted back then. It’s not much. This was a 30 second part of the 20 minute loop outside the GTG room at GenCon. Christopher just said that it was “a secret video game for the future” when I asked him about it after the LP recording, so it’s not like there was a lot of info on it.

Is it even the same game? Bunker looks similar, but the model for Wraith is very different and obviously the title isn't the same either.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

It’s the only other video game screenshots we have.  If it’s not related then I’d like to know what happened.  

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Oh, I guess there’s a detail not present in the pics I posted but I can verify that the GenCon teaser did show that Underbite was the developer. Looks like they just decided on a new title.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

I’ve added two photos to the imgur gallery. One just confirms the developer and the other is my panicked “get a picture of this thing that I’m seeing” photo that prompted me to hang out there by the room until it cycled back around.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

That...that looks damned cool.   :D

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

"Prepare for a story driven campaign within the Sentinel Comics universe..."

I don't think I've ever read more exciting words than these.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

I wonder if a Switch port would be possible...

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture
Playtester

No doubt, that'll be a popular question during the campaign.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

The original announcement was quite some time ago, before indie development for the Switch was so much of a thing.  I understand it's actually easier to port to Switch than to PS4, plus it's clearly insanely profitable (see: Super Meat Boy) so it's pretty likely.  I'll personally back it only if that gets me a copy for Switch--I don't have much time to play in front of my TV.

Hah, I was a little confused at first--the desktop version of the website says "Inspired by the award winning game by Sentinel Comics" (which isn't quite correct), but the mobile version switches the logos around and says "Inspired by the award winning game by Underbite Games." Super Dungeon Tactics doesn't seem to have won any awards that I can find....

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

I mean, I have Steam so I can obviously play it there, but having more portable Sentinels action that doesn't require me carrying around a canvas bag with three heavy box-fulls of cards sounds pretty good...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Looking at the description again, this game sounds like it will put some cool twists on the XCOM style. The stances and support actions will really add to the feel of a hero team leaning on each other to ultimately defeat the villain. I love the description of a bank heist foiling turning into...presumably, Baron Blade showing up. It would be cool to have a base in Freedom Plaza, assigning squads of heroes to deal with minor events throughout the city but not knowing if a supervillain might turn up.

The stances sound particularly interesting in light of the two heroes down. Bunker has obvious applications: his modes. So does Wraith: stealth combat, melee combat, and probably something investigation-related. It's not obvious to me how to apply that kind of scheme to every hero we know, though.

Something else intriguing: the Sentinels of Freedom teaser site starts with the sentence: "Prepare for a story driven campaign within the Sentinel Comics universe." Do you think this means it actually takes place in what we previously knew as the RPG timeline? That makes sense for a game where you can build your own heroes, and I'm excited that there might be a way I can get at the RPG lore and fun as a guy who doesn't enjoy role playing very much.

Powerhound_2000

Based on the artwork and further enforced by the description I had thought this was the RPG universe.  

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

Also the new title, since the Sentinels of Freedom are the new uber-group that the old Freedom Five are a part of in the RPG timeline following the starter kit.

My only question is whether Christopher will be writing this story as a core, canon experience or if Underbite is writing their own story using B-list villains and their own creations.

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

I'm going to hazard a guess that they've got Christopher on board to head up the story, since this very well could be the "cool Sentinels Comics related thing for 2018" repeatedly mentioned on Paul's 'State of GTG' posts.

fenianb

I was hoping to see a video game version of the new Sentinel Tactics but I guess that won't happen now.

Edit: That sounded more negative and petulant than I intended. Apologies.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

There's been an update to the web site - lots of new description of the gameplay. It sounds very promising! I think this line, in particular, is there to troll us XCOM players:

[Vigilance] actions can go much further than the standard overwatch with actions like "keep cover" which allows a character in cover to try and find new cover when flanked.

I'm looking forward to the story campaign, too.

Some new screenshots up, too. This snippet makes me think that Christopher and Adam might be playable characters... wink

Attachment(s): 
Powerhound_2000

Looking at the site.  That is not Christopher and Adam.   It’s Wraith and a goon.  They likely will have an appearance in the game but that is not it.  

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture

Its when they have modeled the goons of Adam that we know which of the creators is there favorite... 

cnranger

Chistopher is Wraith. Confirmed.

UglyOrangeFish
UglyOrangeFish's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

Also the new title, since the Sentinels of Freedom are the new uber-group that the old Freedom Five are a part of in the RPG timeline following the starter kit.My only question is whether Christopher will be writing this story as a core, canon experience or if Underbite is writing their own story using B-list villains and their own creations.

Great Question. Christopher is writting the story and Adam is art directing - we couldn't be more excited to work with them.

Cory Heald
Underbite Games

UglyOrangeFish
UglyOrangeFish's picture

Trajector wrote:

There's been an update to the web site - lots of new description of the gameplay. It sounds very promising! I think this line, in particular, is there to troll us XCOM players:

[Vigilance] actions can go much further than the standard overwatch with actions like "keep cover" which allows a character in cover to try and find new cover when flanked.

I'm looking forward to the story campaign, too.Some new screenshots up, too. This snippet makes me think that Christopher and Adam might be playable characters... wink

The Squad, Support and Vigilance systems are some of the things we are most excited about from a game mechanics point of view.  We feel it will make the game feel more alive.  These systems can be upgraded and customized as you progress too.  We will being starting some development blog posts soon and will be sharing more indepth with these and other features like the "stances"

- Cory

Cory Heald
Underbite Games

Powerhound_2000

The announcement today says there will be console releases.  Which consoles in particular?  Any chance of porting to iOS or Android as well?

UglyOrangeFish
UglyOrangeFish's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The announcement today says there will be console releases.  Which consoles in particular?  Any chance of porting to iOS or Android as well?

We are in the process of approval so we can not announce yet however, I can say they are are authorized developers for PS4, Xbox One and Switch.  Our current game will be launching on all three platforms early summer.  As for mobile, we would consider porting it to iOS and Android if there was a big enough demand - but that will likely not happen on release.

Cory Heald
Underbite Games

Powerhound_2000

Thanks.  

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Looking at the site.  That is not Christopher and Adam.   It’s Wraith and a goon.  They likely will have an appearance in the game but that is not it.  

I know, I made a small joke based on passing resemblance and the position of those icons next to each other.

Hi, UglyOrangeFish! Thanks for answering our questions. I was wondering, since Handelabra's Sentinels of the Multiverse video game contains a little Multiverse-pedia with lore and backstory that previously appeared on Greater Than Games' website...will Sentinels of Freedom contain the RPG sourcebook material as in-game references?

cnranger

XCOM/Shadowrun Returns style gameplay with Sentinels theming. Sign me up.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture

This a cool thing and happening in my own back yard, I even recognize the name on underbite from back in my short stint at ferris. Since customizing heroes is a big part, I imagine that's why it's rpg timeline over tactics.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

It looks like GtG is trying to get some product synergy going with the similarities between this and the rpg (not just that they're in the same universe, but the whole customizing your own hero with backstory, personality, power source and archetype is straight out of the rpg).

Like this RPG you're playing?  There's a videogame too!

Like this videogame you're playing?  There's a tabletop RPG too!

I think it's a really good idea and I hope it works out for them.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

cnranger wrote:

XCOM/Shadowrun Returns style gameplay with Sentinels theming. Sign me up.

This is pretty much my reaction.

I wonder, is this going to involve many of the existing canon heroes, or focus on the Freedom Five + your newbies?

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Sentinels of Freedom, Daybreak, and other heroes as well! Plus your own unique hero.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting;
but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

Guise
Guise's picture

Depending on my schedule I might make an appearance too.   Too bad you can’t win without me.  cheeky

We're going to fight EEEEEEEVIL! Because, you know, EEEEEEEVIL!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

Christopher wrote:
Sentinels of Freedom, Daybreak, and other heroes as well! Plus your own unique hero.
I'm assuming this will, again like Shadowrun Returns, allow you to customizer your hero by choosing a general appearance and a profile picture.   If that's the case, you should include portraits of Nightmist, The Scholar, Ra, Aata-Haka, La Comodora, etc. to let people live out their "that didn't happen" wish-fulfilment fantasies.

Submit your games here!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Christopher wrote:

Oooh!  Does this imply that a player-created hero can be "slotted in" to already-existing teams to fulfill missions? 

Hankroyd

I'm sorry for not joining the happyness bandwagon, but this news ... Well, I'm not overjoyed by it.

Don't get me wrong : I would love to see and play that game but right now, C&A are ending the OblivAeon KS, are working on the RPG KS and (for Christopher) are supposed to work on Sentinels of Earth Prime too.

And that is just KS related stuff. There is Letters Pages too for instance.

Even if it is linked with the RPG and they are just "helpling", this is yet another project. That's the word 'another' I don't like.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

It doesn't sound like they're helping very much, though.  Adam is directing the art, not creating it.  I think that just means he's made some sample artwork (already done), and Underbite's artist(s) will match it and run it by Adam for his approval.  Christopher is responsible for "story," which could be anything from writing an outline, which would take him less than an hour, to writing every line of dialogue, which would take days if not weeks.  I'm guessing something closer to the former, since he knows perfectly well how many other things are on his plate, and higher priority.  With his love of storytelling, he might even be done already.  So I'm guessing this won't slow them down appreciably.

Submit your games here!

Pages