RPG Characters!

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
geoff907
Playtester
RPG Characters!

Hello! 

My wife and I are super excited to get to create our own character soon! For Valentine’s Day I sat down and talk to her about her character ideas and design and drill it up!  Then I sat and drew up a character I had in my pocket for a while that I’m excited to get to make! 

Not sure if any of you out there have your own designs, but figured I’d show you mine and maybe get a thread started of people that can share their own character designs! 

nexus77777

Great stuff! I'm guessing Zara is some sort of fortune teller or seer? And Floodgate is a power suit wearer with force field powers? Even if I'm wrong, the arts are sweet! I especially like Floodgate's zappy hands and Zara's cloak.

My wife and I are also working on creating some SCRPG stuff, but from the other end. We're making an adventure together, which I plan to GM with our local friends and then hopefully share with the community.

See you in the world!

nexus77777, Washington DC area
GM, aspiring adventure writer, former hero of Paragon City

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Floodgate is a great name for a hero. :D

geoff907
Playtester

From what I know (because My wife is still fleshing her history out) Zara inherited her grandmothers cloak, which has given her the magic abilities to influence and dazzle people towards the greater good, Somewhat like charming them.  Inside of her magic cloak she carries a extensive collection of gadgets, in which she has solutions for all kinds of conundrums. (Very much like the wrath in that regard)

Floodgates ability is that he constantly charges kinetic energy. Then he is able to create energy “force fields” with it. He can also turn this energy into orbs in which he can throw or utilize for who knows what. They don’t last long when removed from his being, but are sustainable when he keeps them close. When he first started trying to save people he learned the hard way that his body itself is not super strong or tough, and crushed himself trying to save someone from an oncoming vehicle. After years of recovery, he was approached by a company willing to sponsor technology in support of the initiative to create more of the next generation of super heroes.  The company gifted him an exoskeleton that can keep his forcefields at bay when under pressure from crushing him, as well as providing some sweet body armor.

nexus77777

Those sound like pretty well thought out characters with lots of neat story possibilities and ways to use their powers. :D

geoff907
Playtester

Just finished this one for a friend in the group!

Meet The Atomic Wall!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I have a few ideas I want to make. No pictures to go along with this though. :(

Jersey Devil: a consulting detective/cryptid hunter that can morph into the beast of Pinebarren lore.

Mass: Renowned superpowered thief/scientist turned reluctant do-gooder with the power to alter his size.

Phantom-eX: Paraplegic business tycoon that builds Power Armor to defend his city and defeat the villains that paralyzed him.

Anne-Drenalyn(WiP name): Street level defender with super powered agility and strength.

And maybe a Tokusatsu style masked hero once I get a good read-through of the character creation rules.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I dunno, I like "Anne-Drenalyne" as a superhero name. :D It's the right level of goofy-meets-roll-off-the-tongue.

geoff907
Playtester

Those character ideas are great Phantom5613!

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Nice art btw. My ideas are a Tokusatsu hero.

They have 3 forms Earth Wind and Water and can change forms rapidly. He doesn't really 'do better' for any situation in each form it's more for switching for sake of having a superhero who switches powers. 

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

I found my old CoH screenshots!

Pictured: The Walking Target in front of some kind of dimentional vortex and reading a newspaper (with every one of his invulnerability powers active judging by the glowing), Candle-light with and without her cloaking device active, and Defibrillatrix both before and after she got some upgrades.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Sigh, mis-clicked and posted without my last pics.

Edit - may as well describe them a bit.

Walking Target was a security guard caught in some kind of lab explosion. He got some measure of super-strength out of the deal, but more importantly, is now extremely resistant to injury and so primarily focuses on tying up whatever big brawler types are around while the other heroes focus on bringing them down.

Candle-light is an inventor/chemist. She produced a chemical that, when aerosolized and burned, uses up more than the expected amount of oxygen while burning at a lower than expected temperature. That is, it can cause her foes to pass out without burning them too badly (when I came up with her character I was trying to find a way for a fire-blasting hero to also be non-lethal). She's got a variety of other devices she uses too - mostly the cloaking device (leaving her looking like a heat haze) and proximity mines full of her fire chemical.

Defibrillatrix was an automatic debribrillator that got some weird firmware upgrade that gave it sentience. Further upgrades gave her mobility and a larger range of first-aid techniques to make her an ambulatory ambulance. She still has the shock hands, though, which she isn't afraid of using offensively if necessary.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

A number of people in the KS campaign comments seem to want to bring their 'City of' characters back to life with SC.

I have a number of favorites I loved using in that game, but I don't know if I can remember that many. I did list a few over there though:

I had my Elec/Static Speedster Blaster, My Martial Arts/Shield Scrapper, My Energy/Energy Tank... Ah, and my Bots Mastermind was fun too(I don't remember if she was gadgets or Forcefields for her secondary...)!

Ah, I also have my character White Whitch, who I even brought over to Champions Online. I don't remember her power setup in CoH, but I know I made her all about healing... I think it Was Empathy/Aura, or something like that?

geoff907
Playtester

This is great! I love how candlelight is designed to be a non- lethal character, which is hard for a fire starter. 

The next gen of Sentinels heroes is going to be sweet!

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

geoff907 wrote:

This is great! I love how candlelight is designed to be a non- lethal character, which is hard for a fire starter.

I put a lot of work into all three characters' bios, but when I went searching for the screenshots I was unable to find anything like a text file where I'd saved the things outside of the game itself so they're likely gone forever (unless somebody has the Virtue server data somewhere). I was particularly proud of hers which got the occasional comment from other players. Thinking of that I remembered some additional details, though. Her name was Amy Scene, which I picked so that the chemical name could sound both like her name and like "amazing" - Amazine™ (y'know, like benzine) - and one of my friends used this as a base to create her daughter, Kara Scene, who was another fire-based character.

Which also gets me thinking of that friend's main, the Gallopin' Glacier - an Ice/Ice tanker who, along with the Walking Target were our super group's "giga-tanks" as we both maxed out our respective defensive powers. WT's was Invulnerability, which was based around getting hit, but not caring because everything was highly reduced (except for psychic attacks), but was also limited in that the power-set's "taunt aura" basically only affected things right next to you. Ice tanks, by comparison have a very large taunt aura, but their primary defense centered on being hard to land hits on in the first place (being vulnerable to enemies who had high-accuracy/high-damage). As such, he was mostly on crowd-control duty while I tied up the boss. It was a good partnership.

nexus77777

WalkingTarget wrote:

geoff907 wrote:

I put a lot of work into all three characters' bios, but when I went searching for the screenshots I was unable to find anything like a text file where I'd saved the things outside of the game itself so they're likely gone forever (unless somebody has the Virtue server data somewhere). I was particularly proud of hers which got the occasional comment from other players. Thinking of that I remembered some additional details, though. Her name was Amy Scene, which I picked so that the chemical name could sound both like her name and like "amazing" - Amazine™ (y'know, like benzine) - and one of my friends used this as a base to create her daughter, Kara Scene, who was another fire-based character.

I love it! Some of my Supergroup mates had themed names as well. I swear half our fun came from thinking up clever names for new alts. Playing off the British-themed Hero One/Hero 1, I created Hiro Wan. He was a Dual Blades/Willpower Scrapper who wore samurai armor and had a Japanese flag as his cape. My good friend made Hero Juan, a Martial Arts/Regen (I think!) Scrapper who wore luchador outfit and had a Mexican flag cape. And yes, we completed the Lady Grey Task Force and defeated The Honoree!

Phantom5613 wrote:

A number of people in the KS campaign comments seem to want to bring their 'City of' characters back to life with SC.

Yes! I'm pretty sure Blasters, Scrappers, Masterminds, Stalkers, Brutes, and all the Epic Archetypes will be possible to convert completely. I'm not sure how much you can focus on support Abilities in SCRPG, so Defenders and Corruptors might be tougher to adapt. CC abilities don't seem to be as common in the released pregen character sheets, so I feel like Controllers and Dominators might require a bit of homebrew mechanics to work. And Tankers seem to be thematically possible, though probably not nearly as durable as they were in CoH. I'm working on writing a guide for adapting CoH characters and NPCs for use with SCRPG rules, but that's a ways out. I'm also working on adapting some of the story arcs from CoH for my gaming group, and maybe for others if there is interest. I can't wait to be back in Paragon City! :D