Questions for Clarifications

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rogue Lich
Questions for Clarifications

I'm really loving the concepts of Sentinels Comics RPG. The dice pools are cool, and I like games where the players have a direct way of introducing narrative. Can't wait for the full release and the kickstarter! Meanwhile, I do have a few questions and clarifications needed, please and thank you.

1. Do twists only happen when the PCs are rolling dice? Can twists happen to NPCs when they roll their dice?

2. Speaking of NPC dice pools. Do minions and lieutenants only get one die in the pool? Angry Spider Bot is a d6 minion, for example. During its action, its pool is only one d6, and the result is its minimum, midimum, and maximum?

3. When a lieutenant or minion is attacked, it rolls its die as a save. Minions are removed if the attack damage is higher than the save. If equal to, or lower than the save, the minion remains, but its die type is lowered by one. Lieutenants lower their die type if the attack damage is higher than their save. If equal to, or lower than the save, the lieutenant is unaffected. Do I have that correct?

4. Villains get a full pool, like PCs do - three dice. Is the villain's status die also affected by the Scene Tracker?

5. Some scenes have dynamic environments that have their own dice pool. The example on page 17 of the Gameplay Guide has the High Tech Military Base with a pool of d8, d10, and d8. Is that the pool for the environment no matter what stage the Scene Tracker is in?

6. Minions (of the same type: all Angry Spider Bots, for example) act on the same initiative, but can each do different things.

Rich

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Yes twists can happen by NPCs doing overcomes. 

Minions if you say have 3 you roll a d6 three times one for each mook and then their done. Liuetenants are mini bosses and keep to themselves really.

Yes to all of that.

Each Villain has a unique mechanic to determine status die.

Yes

Yes

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture
Playtester

I wish I had a way to upvote this post or something, just for the word "midimum". :D

Rogue Lich

Anubis wrote:

Each Villain has a unique mechanic to determine status die.

Ah ha! I missed that in the book. "...their status does not come from their Health, but from a story or mechanical element - something that the villain cares about..."

Thank you for pointing that out! In the example on page 18 of the Gameplay Guide, Proletariat cares about how many clones he has going on.

TakeWalker wrote:

I wish I had a way to upvote this post or something, just for the word "midimum". :D

Thanks! :D

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Rogue Lich wrote:

Ah ha! I missed that in the book. "...their status does not come from their Health, but from a story or mechanical element - something that the villain cares about..."

Thank you for pointing that out! In the example on page 18 of the Gameplay Guide, Proletariat cares about how many clones he has going on.

However some Villains don't care about a specific thing such as their powers or an object and more concerned with being annoying thus their Status is like a Hero's and hp based.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Just to add some detail here, after the starter kit was released, they decided that minions get a "last stand" when they are at the smallest die size (d4).  According to the starter kit, any attack against a d4 minion would automatically kill it, but now it still has a chance to roll its d4 and get higher than your attack.  It will probably still die most of the time, but it allows for the entertaining possibility of a minion who just keeps hanging in there.

In everything I've seen, the environment's dice pool stays the same throughout scene tracker stages, but I don't see why you couldn't design an environment where they do change if different aspects of the environment become more severe or new ones are introduced.  I don't think it would be game-breaking.