Question: Reactions and Inherent Rolls

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tubafolk
Question: Reactions and Inherent Rolls

Okay so my players got me turned around fairly bad on a topic that I need to ask around on, this also came from the !reaction command on the Omni-bot.  When using “Inherent”  or “Reaction” actions typically is suggests an power to use. An example from Absolute Zero’s sheet...

”Whenever your personal zone changes, you may Boost using Cold.”

The question is this: Would you only role the die assigned to the power “cold” (d12) or would you roll three die as you would in an overcome. 

I thought it it was three up until I saw the command only asked for one die to be input on Discord. 

gribble
gribble's picture

Huh. I always assumed it was a normal roll, just instead of choosing a power you must use the one specified, e.g. Cold.

I can see how it could be interpreted differently however...

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I only used the Cold die when I played the Starter Kit at GenCon last year.   

As a side note first this thread got created twice.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

As a side note first this thread got created twice.   

Fixed. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

Tubafolk

Thank you Powerhound. Wasn’t sure how to fix that on my end...

I went combing through Daybreak’s hero sheets and their Reactions have language that answers my question. An example from Rockstar’s abilities: 

“When you change personal zones you may boost by rolling your SINGLE transmutation die.”

Given that all of Daybreak’s inherent and reaction abilities read as such, notating a single die, I’m going to assume in the Kickstarter heroes it is a single die as well. Most likely the awesome folks here and at GTG have caught that and are making the adjustment. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, that's a rules clarification that made it into the later stuff.  The general rule is that Actions you take on your turn use 3 dice, and everything else (inherent abilities, reactions, and Out abilities) use only one die.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

gribble
gribble's picture

Huh, well now I know. :)