47 posts / 0 new
Last post
lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Personality Types!

I love this stuff, and wonder if others are into it as well

http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

This is one of the better tests ive found. I am an INFJ (though depending on my mood I may flop to an INFP, which is amusing) and the NF archetype fills me to a T.

What about you?

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

INFJ here too. Although I do fluctuate a bit, and don't think any one of the categories fits me absolutely. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

This is called Meyers-Briggs, it's one of the oldest and most famous standardized personality tests, this site would appear to be...I'm not sure if "ripping off" is an appropriate term, I don't know if the original test is copyrighted or anything, but in any case they didn't invent it, though they may have modified its exact format for their usage.

INTJ, for the record.  I know this from some years back and have no desire to bother retaking the test, as it's unlikely my result would have changed since then (I do evolve quite a bit as a person, but I don't believe it would have affected this measure in the amount of time involved).

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I have traditionally scored xxxJ (i.e. close to the middle for the other three categories, but 100% J) on the Keirsey temperatment sorter, though I recently scored  ENFJ with J, surprisingly, being my weakest score. I have never felt that this particular categorization helped me understand myself very well.

I recommend Strengthsfinder. I found it a revelation. My results from the test helped me understands conundrums about why I sometimes felt smart and sometimes dumb, sometimes felt highly motivated and sometimes like a sloth.

http://strengths.gallup.com/110440/about-strengthsfinder-20.aspx

Unfortunately, I don't know a way to take the test without buying the book to get a code.

The theory is that we all have innate ways that our brains work/think, which are our talents. If we add experience and learning on top of these talents, we get Strengths -- abilities that we naturally do that are bolstered and improved over time. The theory identifies 34 different ways our brains work and the test assigns one the top five that match. Our brains _can_ use the other methods, but don't generally do so naturally and under stress will likely revert to our innate talents.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Yeah, Strengthfinders is not free.  It gets pimped a lot in my Job Club, but since I have no money....

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I rather like Meyers-Briggs myself and find that in my experience it frequently does quite a good job. I would be interested to see how a society similar to Guera from This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman would function in real life; a big part of me believes that the answer is "quite well".

For anyone who hasn't read the book (you should), the conceit of that particular society is that members indicate (through face paint or tatoos) their personality type, and that there are known social conventions for interacting with people of different personality types. They do not use Meyers-Briggs types, but, by way of example, I might generally indicate that I am INTP, but occationally, when I'm feeling like it, I might indicate that I am ENTP instead.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

INTP here.

Still as ridiculously introverted as always, but I find it interesting how thinking, which used to be a big one for me now was at 1%.  So practically a wash.

I haven't taken one of these in 10-12 years, so a decade of Marriage and two kids later apparently I have changed, just not too much.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I'm rather unique in that I scored 100% on the Introversion scale (SUPER INTROVERSION), and EXACTLY 50% on the Thinking/Feeling scale (Heart? Head? I CAN'T DECIDE). So I could be either INFJ or INTJ, or -- more likely -- a mixture of both. I definitely find myself leaning heavily towards INTJ, with some nebulous concepts (strong moral convictions, strong sympathy towards others, the constant feeling of not living up to my potential) from INFJ thrown in. Here are the strongest links I have towards INTJ, Copy-pasted from various profiles:

"INTJs are often seen as highly intelligent and perplexingly mysterious. INTJ personalities radiate self-confidence, relying on their huge archive of knowledge spanning many different topics and areas. INTJs usually begin to develop that knowledge in early childhood (the "bookworm” nickname is quite common among INTJs) and keep on doing that later on in life."

"INTJ personalities are perfectionists and they enjoy improving ideas and systems they come in contact with. As INTJs are naturally curious, this tends to happen quite frequently. However, they always try to remain in the rational territory no matter how attractive the end goal is – every idea that is generated by the INTJ’s mind or reaches it from the outside needs to pass the cold-blooded filter called “Is this going to work?”. This is the INTJ’s coping mechanism and they are notorious for applying it all the time, questioning everything and everyone."

"INTJs dislike rules and artificial limitations – everything should be questionable and open to re-evaluation."

"There is one area where their brilliant mind often becomes completely useless and may even hinder their efforts – INTJs find it very difficult to handle romantic relationships, especially in their earliest stages. People with this personality type are more than capable of loving and taking care of the people close to them, but they are likely to be completely clueless when it comes to attracting a partner."

"The main reason behind this is that INTJ personalities are both private and incredibly rational – they find it very difficult to understand the complex social rituals that are considered part of the dating game, especially in Western societies. Things like flirting or small talk are unnatural to them; furthermore, INTJs (especially females) tend to see typical attraction tactics (such as feigning disinterest) as incredibly stupid and irrational."

---

They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others.

. It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.

The INTJ's interest in dealing with the world is to make decisions, express judgments, and put everything that they encounter into an understandable and rational system. Consequently, they are quick to express judgments. Often they have very evolved intuitions, and are convinced that they are right about things. Unless they complement their intuitive understanding with a well-developed ability to express their insights, they may find themselves frequently misunderstood. In these cases, INTJs tend to blame misunderstandings on the limitations of the other party, rather than on their own difficulty in expressing themselves (not so much in my case; I'm fully cognizant of my own communicative shortcomings). This tendency may cause the INTJ to dismiss others input too quickly, and to become generally arrogant and elitist. (not me, but I'm not the only INTJ here, so I thought it may be worth leaving in)

Other people may have a difficult time understanding an INTJ. They may see them as aloof and reserved. Indeed, the INTJ is not overly demonstrative of their affections, and is likely to not give as much praise or positive support as others may need or desire. That doesn't mean that he or she doesn't truly have affection or regard for others, they simply do not typically feel the need to express it. Others may falsely perceive the INTJ as being rigid and set in their ways. Nothing could be further from the truth, because the INTJ is committed to always finding the objective best strategy to implement their ideas. The INTJ is usually quite open to hearing an alternative way of doing something.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yes Envisoner. I know its Myers Briggs. I read Please Understand Me (2) when I was 12, so am intimately familiar with the test. I also took several courses in college that dealt with it and have studied it pretty intensively. I like the 16personalities site because of the manner in which it presents the test, and the manner in which it provides information on all of the types.

Find it interesting that so far many of us are N types.

Lynkfox.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

ISFP here. I am also an Idealist.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I'm a LULZ, but I can trend towards ROFL sometimes.  You do not want to see me when I'm trending PWNZ though.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Paul, i love that facial tatoo bit. As an INF i don't have a lot of problem determining what people around me are feeling, but I simply love the way that you can say 'Look. Im tired. just leave me alone. Im OK, you don't have to ask, i just need a bit of time to recharge' by the way they paint their faces.

Good book. 

Lynkfox.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Paul wrote:

I rather like Meyers-Briggs myself and find that in my experience it frequently does quite a good job. I would be interested to see how a society similar to Guera from This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman would function in real life; a big part of me believes that the answer is "quite well".For anyone who hasn't read the book (you should), the conceit of that particular society is that members indicate (through face paint or tatoos) their personality type, and that there are known social conventions for interacting with people of different personality types. They do not use Meyers-Briggs types, but, by way of example, I might generally indicate that I am INTP, but occationally, when I'm feeling like it, I might indicate that I am ENTP instead.

I would definitely love to see such a society tried IRL, and would like to see more of it in fiction as well.  It's the sort of thing I might have come up with for an RPG and thought it was my own idea, but I should know there's nothing new under the sun (except for the Jersey Devils' fire breathing; that's new).

lynkfox wrote:
Please Understand Me

Hm.  adds to my existing Ringworld-length reading list

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

LMAO. So I took the test.

I'm solidly ENTP according to this.

It says I'm specifically called a "Devils Advocate" and love to argue as a "mental exercise"

Who here saw that one coming? 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

oh that's me too!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

So, my result was INFP, but I was only 4% of both Introversion and Intuition. The only thing that I was half-certain of was Feeling, which was a whopping 42%. That could be because I'm usually unwilling to answer those quiestions with a "Strongly Disagree" or a "Strongly Agree," because most situations are different. 

But after some reading of what that trait expemplifies, I kind of agree. While I would say I'm a bit more detail-oreinted than most INFP people are, and I do take critisism perhaps better than some, but I can also see some similarites!.

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Depending on the day that I take this, I'm either an INTJ or an ENFP. Fluctuating personality and all that.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I got INFJ - My Introversion bit was huge (I think it was 60-something percent) while the rest were in the teens.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Envisioner wrote:
Paul wrote:
I rather like Meyers-Briggs myself and find that in my experience it frequently does quite a good job. I would be interested to see how a society similar to Guera from This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman would function in real life; a big part of me believes that the answer is "quite well".For anyone who hasn't read the book (you should), the conceit of that particular society is that members indicate (through face paint or tatoos) their personality type, and that there are known social conventions for interacting with people of different personality types. They do not use Meyers-Briggs types, but, by way of example, I might generally indicate that I am INTP, but occationally, when I'm feeling like it, I might indicate that I am ENTP instead.

I would definitely love to see such a society tried IRL, and would like to see more of it in fiction as well.  It's the sort of thing I might have come up with for an RPG and thought it was my own idea, but I should know there's nothing new under the sun (except for the Jersey Devils' fire breathing; that's new).

Autism conventions have name tags color-coded according to the degree to which you are willing to interact:

http://autistic-alligator.tumblr.com/post/75677017280/autieblesam-image-is-a-poster-explaining

I've never seen it used in practice, but I think it's a really neat idea.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I like how in that post there's the one douche going "if you aren't autistic you can't use them" and then the one guy just tears him a new one. That was GREAT. (not sarcastic at all. I felt like punching that guy.) That's a really cool concept, but I wish there was a step between yellow and green. Like, blue. If we're both doing something we're interested in -- at a booth playing a game together, cosplaying as characters from the same series, etc. -- or if you know me, you can approach; otherwise, follow yellow rules. That'd be nice.

-- Trajector

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

EIFP here--with 100% on the E part. What can I say? I love being around people.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I've seen a similar thing done on nights out - a green sticker means I'm actively looking for someone to hook up with, yellow means I might be interested in hooking up, and red means definitely not under any circumstances. Saves a lot of time and effort apparently, but I don't think it's common.

Shame. I think more people should be able to express "don't even think about it sunshine" without having to actively reject people. ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MBTI is interesting, but has its issues/flaws. In general, it's decently useful for understanding how we interact with people. I've found it convenient in communicating with co-workers / bosses to help them understand me a little better, but not that much.

I'm generally a pretty solid INTJ, but I'll drift into F a lot and P on occasion.

As arenson9 mentioned, though, I've gotten a lot more mileage out of Strengths...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

JimmytheRat

I actually don't like the MBTI for several reasons.  Because it's not empirically derived and has no validity scale, there are a whole host of biases that can affect the responses.  The types themselves tend to be so broad that a well-rounded person can identify with most of them at any particular time.  The Kiersey scale (from Please Understand Me) is actually different and a bit better because it's based more on temperament and behavior, but it still suffers many of the same issues.  The short test on the webpage lynkfox linked doesn't appear to be either of those tests, but is clearly inspired by both.

That said, they are very interesting tests, but I don't feel them to be particularly useful.  If they completely reworked the tests to be scored more like the MMPI, I think they would be substantially more accurate and useful.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Kiersy is a little too broad at times

His personalty tempermant types are overly broad in their terms, but he tries to fit people into them  And when you get down to their role variants, they are pretty much eactly the same as the 16 personalty types of MBTI - some slight differences, but you can fit his 16 role variants into the 16 types of MBTI (in fact, most people use the I/E, N/S, F/T, J/P system for describing the Role vairants and the Tempermants as well)

I do identify more with the Idealist (NF) broad temperarment at times, but an INFJ fits me so to a T that its not even funny.

And like all sucht hings, people resist being put into categories. Everyone has a little bit of something else in them, these are simply dominant traits.

But its fun to talk about,and fun to work around.

Again, though, I am continually amazed by the number of N types here.

Lynkfox.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

lynkfox wrote:

Again, though, I am continually amazed by the number of N types here.

Really? Why is that?

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'm an ISTP, woo!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

INFP - I'm pretty solidly in I and P, but right on the fence with N and F. It probably depends on the alignment of the stars or how many unlucky tokens I have collected today.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

I'm an ISTP, woo!

Hmm...

Unfortunately, I can't tell if you're kidding or if you're serious.

wink

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Rabit wrote:

Ronway wrote:
I'm an ISTP, woo!

Hmm...

Unfortunately, I can't tell if you're kidding or if you're serious.

wink

Serioues about the ISTP being what I got. slightly kidding about the "woo!", as I wasn't actually that excited to see I got it. Though it does match up quite nicely from what I skimmed. Though the personal space part is way off, i'm not so big on touching or being touched.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I don't do personality tests, I don't want to be in a box.

Which probably tells those in the know more about my personality than I give a damn to know

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

-- Trajector

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

It says I am an ISFJ.  Seems a bit accurate. 

*edited for poor memory

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

When I took a similar test in Psych of Personality I got ENFJ.  This test gave me ENFP.  Extraversion - 62%, Intuition - 20%, Feeling - 27%, Prospecting - 29%.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

ESFJ

So I'm Sociable, Altruistic and Practical. So i'm a SAP. Also, it says I'm a team plaer. Now if only their was a game I could play where working together, being sociable and helping other out there that I could play. Also, I like superheroes.

Any suggestions? :P

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Kill Dr.Lucky?

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Envisioner wrote:
INTJ, for the record.  I know this from some years back and have no desire to bother retaking the test, as it's unlikely my result would have changed since then (I do evolve quite a bit as a person, but I don't believe it would have affected this measure in the amount of time involved).

Well I stand corrected; apparently I do have that kind of time now, and I came out INFP.

Strength of individual traits: Introversion - 55%, Intuition - 43%, Feeling - 12%, Prospecting - 34%.

("Prospecting?"  I've heard it as "Perceiving" previously.)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

same here. Isn't prospecting what you call digging for gold?

-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Nope, we're all cranky gold miners now.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

phantaskippy wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'm a J. None of your stinky mining for me!

(To be fair, I'm pretty much neutral on that last axis.)

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

phantaskippy wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'm a J. None of your stinky mining for me!(To be fair, I'm pretty much neutral on that last axis.)

Neutral? Like them swiss huh, we string swissies up by thar toe-nails round 'er.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

No, more like America until they decided we looked like winning so it was safe to join in. ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I am solidly INTJ. For good or for ill.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Didn't run through this sorter, but typically come out as an ENFP.  The perfect personality for a contract manager.  Yup.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

I am solidly INTJ. For good or for ill.

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

-- Trajector

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

all you INTJs...

my gf is an INTJ... its an intersting life... I, as an INFJ ... make her brain hurt with my non euclidian logic. (Yep. Parse that bit of wording INTJs :P - she also has a bachelors in English...)

Lynkfox.

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Usually score as an INTP, but sometimes I'm an INFP, INTJ or INFJ. On teh tests that show percentages, it will usually show T/F and P/J at or near a 50% split. 

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange