New hero poll

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
uu
uu's picture
New hero poll

So a poll discussion came up on the kickstart to see who people are most excited to see in the oblivion expasion so heres a poll i made for that purpose
https://www.poll-maker.com/poll1890642x7a39492c-51

Sorry if its the wrong place for this

Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

I'm not sure.  La Comodora is probably my favorite character of the bunch, but I have no idea how she plays.  Harpy, Benchmark, and Idealist look fiddly, and fiddly heroes often don't work well in practice.  Akash'Thriya looks extremely fiddly and setup-heavy, and I cannot imagine how she functions from what I've seen--I like the idea a lot but I don't have high hopes.  Conversely, Stuntman doesn't appeal to me on paper, but the playtesters are loving him.

So basically, I'm avoiding getting "excited" about any hero in particular so I don't get disappointed.  I don't want to get my heart set on making Writhe one of my go-to characters and them have him be no better than Expatriette or Mainstay.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

MindWanderer wrote:

I don't want to get my heart set on making Writhe one of my go-to characters and them have him be no better than Expatriette or Mainstay.

You've played the Mainstay solo deck?   Personally from playtesting it's toss up between Medico, Writhe, Mainstay, and Benchmark for me.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:

I don't want to get my heart set on making Writhe one of my go-to characters and them have him be no better than Expatriette or Mainstay.

You've played the Mainstay solo deck?   Personally from playtesting it's toss up between Medico, Writhe, Mainstay, and Benchmark for me.   

Setback, I meant.  Had Void Guard on the brain.

Good to know you like those characters!  Medico and Writhe are among the ones I like in concept but don't know how they'll play out, and Benchmark, as I said, looks fiddly and easy to "break".  And Mainstay, with his dependency on equipment destruction, threatened to be a more interesting Dark Watch Mr. Fixer, not a good thing.

Submit your games here!

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

I understand what you mean about trying not to get "excited" about any one character. La Comodora was that way for me. Character-wise, I think she's the most interesting out of the new bunch and her deck is thematically appropriate, but it's not really the type of deck that I like to play. Oh, well. I think my favorites are Harpy (who, by the way, I don't find fiddly at all and hope you won't either), Writhe, and Mainstay. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

I want all of them...

I guess, if I HAVE to pick one... Benchmark, since Power Armor/Robo-Cop?

Roger the Alien

It's interesting that you can see the location of the people who voted^^

Jeysie

As a non-playtester :P I think I'm probably most curious about what Luminary's deck will look like, followed up by Akash'Thriya's. Baron Blade's always been a fave and playing with his devices sounds fun, and Akash has quickly become a fave character after her podcast and her whole thing with seeds and mucking about in the environment sounds potentially interesting.

@Roger: You can see the location of their ISP, at least; often close to but not always the same thing.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

When I first saw them, I was most excited about Akash'Thriya, because Akash'Bhuta is one of my favorite villains to fight, and now you get to play as her?

But after seeing the various card sneak-peeks and hearing more about their backstories, Stuntman is now at the top of my list. :D Because if there's one thing I love doing in this game, it's showboating, and it sounds like that's going to be his entire M.O.!

I'm also excited for Luminary and La Comodora. I'm nervous about Idealist, but that's for reasons best left to another forum. >.>

Be sure to post the results!

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

I'm also excited for Luminary and La Comodora. I'm nervous about Idealist, but that's for reasons best left to another forum. >.>Be sure to post the results!

I love them all but La Comodora and Luminary are probably my favorites. Interested in why you're nervous about Idealist, if you do make a post about it on another forum, let us know where you put it.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

As a playtester, I've played them all, and you'll be kicking yoursel when you see how awesome Mainstay is. 

I didn't put him there (though he'd be right up there) because I just love STuntman way too much

The gloom of death serves the master in many ways

Ameena
Ameena's picture

I think I've played at least one game with everyone (actually I don't think I've played as Medico yet, but I've been in games wher someone else did) and I think Writhe is my favourite, though I also like Lifeline. And I remember La Comodora being cool. And I also like Akash'Thryia. And Mainstay can be pretty fun. And Stuntman is kind of amusing. Hmm, don't think I've played as the Harpy either, now I think about it. Maybe once? Can't remember. She's okay. Luminary is also fun. Um. Yeah. Lots of good stuff :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Ameena wrote:

I think I've played at least one game with everyone (actually I don't think I've played as Medico yet, but I've been in games wher someone else did) and I think Writhe is my favourite, though I also like Lifeline. And I remember La Comodora being cool. And I also like Akash'Thryia. And Mainstay can be pretty fun. And Stuntman is kind of amusing. Hmm, don't think I've played as the Harpy either, now I think about it. Maybe once? Can't remember. She's okay. Luminary is also fun. Um. Yeah. Lots of good stuff :D.

So... the one you're looking the most forward to is all of them?

The gloom of death serves the master in many ways

Roger the Alien

I am very interested in the aggressive playstyle of Lifeline.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Dandolo wrote:

I love them all but La Comodora and Luminary are probably my favorites. Interested in why you're nervous about Idealist, if you do make a post about it on another forum, let us know where you put it.

know I've mentioned it before, but she might play like a custom deck I'm working on. That I have plans to revamp anyway in case that's true. :B That's all.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Akash'Thriya was the one I was most excited to see, and now it is the one I can't wait to see other people react too.

Also Mainstay in last place is going to be a hit when the decks are out.  He is incredibly fun to play.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I've been excited about La Comodora ever since her reveal portrait during the OblivAeon Kickstarter. The Letters Page episode about her has me stoked!

Honorable mention to Luminary, Stuntman, Benchmark, and Writhe.

I've played none of them!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture

phantaskippy wrote:
Akash'Thriya was the one I was most excited to see, and now it is the one I can't wait to see other people react too.
That's quite an ambiguous endorsement.  I hope she pans out.

The good thing is, nearly every new hero has been named by at least one playtester as one of their favorites.  I think Idealist and Akash'Thriya are the only ones no one's named yet.

Submit your games here!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Argh, not saying too much is frustrating.

Those are two decks I care a lot about and worked a lot on.  They both have some very interesting mechanics that should take a few games to really understand. For me, Idealist is a lot of fun, and Akash is so different from other decks that they are both decks I want to play frequeny.

Others have more shenanigans, more traditional deck enngines, or really fun stories to tell, but those two are very unique in how their deck plays.  And I love that about them.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Fun poll!

Go, Harpy!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ameena
Ameena's picture

I don't think I remembered to mention the Idealist. I think I played her once,very briefly, before getting incapped because we were against a very brutal villain who smashed lots of people a lot very fast. So I don't have much experience playing her but she does have what I think are some of the best-named cards in the game :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Jeysie

From the teaser in the OblivAeon KS, "Bored Now" is one of the more amusing cards in the game on so many levels.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

It's worth noting that as per the complexity chart shown here, Luminary is complexity 1; La Comodora, Lifeline, Mainstay, Stuntman, and Writhe are all 2s; and Akash'Thriya, Benchmark, Doctor Medico, Harpy, and Idealist are all 3s.  That's pretty heavily weighted towards complex heroes, but it makes sense - most of the people playing OblivAeon will be more experienced players, and I for one am looking forward to figuring out all these new, interesting, and tricky decks.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

carnilius
Playtester

I'm most excited for the non-Foil variant cards, i.e. the ones I can actually play with.  Mostly Parse, because, well Parse.

Powerhound_2000

If you have the video game you can play that variant without worrying about your Foil card.   Thinking about that I'm fairly excited to see the  "original" alternate artwork for all the new variants. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

carnilius
Playtester

Yeah, I already play with her in the video game.  But I want to play with her with actual cards!

Ed

Roger the Alien wrote:

The one from Brazil is me. Note that I'm only there for holidays. Originally I'm from the Netherlands.

So one more point for Europe ;)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Roger the Alien wrote:

https://xkcd.com/1138/

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I voted for Harpy because I love her story and I'd love to see another take on a spellcasting hero. Nightmist is good, but she doesn't always feel like I've got a handle on her.

But really, there are very few of these decks that I'm not looking forward to in one capacity or another. I want to see the story, the art, the new mechanics, I don't think it will be possible for any of them to disappoint me because they all offer something.

And, if one of them turns out to be a hero deck that is not my go to... so what? No way all eleven of them will be that way and that just means I need to dig into them and see where they fit, which can be very satisfying (I used to really not like playing Fanatic and Visionary, until the early video game forced me to play them a lot more, now I love Fanatic and at least I'm good with Visionary.)

Roger the Alien

Ed wrote:

Roger the Alien wrote:

The one from Brazil is me. Note that I'm only there for holidays. Originally I'm from the Netherlands.

So one more point for Europe ;)

You are my neighbour, I am from germany^^

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Before playtesting started it was The Idealist and The Harpy I was most excited for. However, after playing each Hero it was Doctor Medico became the one that I enjoyed playing the most.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:

Before playtesting started it was The Idealist and The Harpy I was most excited for. However, after playing each Hero it was Doctor Medico became the one that I enjoyed playing the most.

Same here! I had exactly the same thoughts!

Except replace "The Idealist and The Harpy" with "Stuntman and Benchmark" and "Doctor Medico" with "Stuntman and Mainstay".

It's like you're stealing my thoughts!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

Before playtesting I was most excited about La Commodora and Akash Thriya. The first versions of Akash were an exercise in futility and frustration. It took many iterations but I'm glad to say the deck finally looks in a good place. Some of my friends vetoed no Sentinels for a while and then Gloomhaven and Spirit island hit the table. In some cases it was pretty difficult to tune the decks to be as enjoyable with both versions of a hero at once. The imperative of printing the variants made the tuning of character cards a bit rushed. So without waiting anymore:

Most improved deck during playtesting: Akash

Art I wanted to see the most: Commodora

Decks that really scratch my playstyle: Lifeline and Benchmark

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I will fully admit, the teaser cards for Stuntman lead me to believe his big schtick is going to be interrupting other people's turns... and I'm kind of looking forward to doing that. It's just too much fun to imagine someone winding up for a big turn and I'll be like "Oh, one moment my friend BLAM BLAM BLAM, okay, you may continue now."

jesse_garcia_87
jesse_garcia_87's picture

i'm actually excited for Benchmark: partially because of that one Art that sent around of a fully armed/stocked Benchmark, and also because having a variety of different effect is a big thing for me (i like control, even if i have a hard time playing it or it gives me a headache [damned Argent Adept! WHY MUST YOU HURT MY HEAD SO GOOD!])

In the effort of doing stupid things, I'm a FLIPPIN' Genius!
-Me.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Alright, I'm doing this.  The thing I most enjoy about each character, without spoiling things.

Akash'Thriya:  The mechanics of her deck.  It is so different.

Benchmark:  The culmination.  Benchmark has some fantastic synergy, and I love the feeling of when it pays off.  

La Commodora:  the versatility.  She has a lot of fun stuff to do, fitting her to the situation so she's most valuable is what I like from her gameplay.

Dr. Medico:  How to put this. . . The non-healing parts?  (Not spoiling is hard)

The Harpy:  There's this one card in her deck that I love more than any other card, mechanically speaking (well, maybe not more than Zealous Offense).  When Christopher dropped it into the deck it was like a universal moment of true avian harmony, deafening and magical and perfect.

Idealist:  Super Sentai Idealist.  Yes I could use this deck to do things written on the cards (which, don't get me wrong, is fun) or I could build a giant robot.  Not a hard choice for me.

Lifeline:  the big turns where you do all the things.

Luminary:  Easy one, the destroying everything and then laughing maniacally part.

Mainstay:  Screw strategy, it's time to break things.

Stuntman:  Honestly, the card art and flavor text.  The deck is great fun, but the art and flavor is next level.

Writhe:  the swings between feeling vulnerable and invincible.

dclietz
Playtester

Yeah, I think all 10 heroes in this set are really top notch. With this set I think Christopher showed that he is still at the top of his game as far as hero design. Also, all these heroes all got a lot of playtester attention and time, which helped. 

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

There are 11 heroes. Who did you forget. :-)

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

I want all of them...I guess, if I HAVE to pick one... Benchmark, since Power Armor/Robo-Cop?

A little bit more of explination for this comment: I have a few favorite archetypes when it comes to superheroes. Two of these are Archer and Power Armor.

One can say that we've had those archetypes filled out with Parse and Bunker respectivley, and I love playing both of them(Heck, Bunker was the first deck I played, and Parse is my first position go-to for any high-level villains), but they don't really fit the 'classic' idea of either of those archetypes. Which is one of the reasons I love the inclusion of Bowman in 'Sentinels of Earth-Prime'. He's a classic trick archer superhero along the lines of Green Arrow or Hawkeye, someone who has no powers or 'meta-human' abbilities but makes up for it with quick wit and reflexes and incredible aim. Again, I love Parse. But her playstyle just doesn't scratch my 'trick archer' itch.(So much that I've maid my own fan-deck archer inspired from my old 'City of Heroes' days.)

The same can be said for Bunker. Now, I LOVE having him fully set-up and about to blast away at a bunch of minions as he blasts away the main villain with a 15-card charged Omni-Cannon, but still I have that urge to build my own power armor user who flies through the sky and fires energy blasts at minions as he weaves through a volley of missiles, all the while surveying the scene and calculationg the best way for your allies to bust through the enemy's defenses.

Here's to Benchmark possibly making me feel that way that Bunker never could.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

Idealist:  Super Sentai Idealist.  Yes I could use this deck to do things written on the cards (which, don't get me wrong, is fun) or I could build a giant robot.  Not a hard choice for me.

This is the best thing I've ever heard. :D

liarliar
liarliar's picture

I voted, but it was hard because I love them all! Luminary took the top spot, just beating Stuntman and Dr. Medico and La Commodora, all of whose I'm very interested in.

dclietz
Playtester

pwatson1974 wrote:

There are 11 heroes. Who did you forget. :-)

Haha whoops. All 11 are great! I promise I wasn't secretly knocking one of them. :)

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

So while spending too much time thinking about the new heroes, I had a thought and I can't remember if this has been mentioned anywhere before.

Against Omnitron, the heroes can't win the game until there are no Device cards in play. Before now, unless I'm mistaken... there hasn't been a hero with Device as a keyword. But Luminary uses the keyword, so this means the heroes can't win if Luminary has Device cards in play! Hopefully, he has ways to destroy his own Devices, or that they all have HP like the Orbital Laser card that was previewed.   

Oh, um... heroes I'm most excited for: Harpy, Stuntman, and Luminary in that order. I'm most curious to see how Idealist plays.

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Blackfang108

darkroydante wrote:

So while spending too much time thinking about the new heroes, I had a thought and I can't remember if this has been mentioned anywhere before.Against Omnitron, the heroes can't win the game until there are no Device cards in play. Before now, unless I'm mistaken... there hasn't been a hero with Device as a keyword. But Luminary uses the keyword, so this means the heroes can't win if Luminary has Device cards in play! Hopefully, he has ways to destroy his own Devices, or that they all have HP like the Orbital Laser card that was previewed.   Oh, um... heroes I'm most excited for: Harpy, Stuntman, and Luminary in that order. I'm most curious to see how Idealist plays.

That's... a pretty god point.

Are there any "Device" cards  that don't have HP outside of Luminary's deck?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

There are no Devices without HP currently in the game.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Blackfang108

That's what I suspected.  I'd be surprised if they changed that with Luminary's deck.

Powerhound_2000

Or maybe they don’t and Luminary laughs maniacally as he sets out to conquer the world with Omnitron!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Or maybe they don’t and Luminary laughs maniacally as he sets out to conquer the world with Omnitron!

And this is why you don't bring a mad scientist to fight a rampaging robot.

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The Tactics timeline makes so much more sense now.

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"