Need Character Building Advice

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
powertrout
Need Character Building Advice

Heyo!
I've been trying to port all of my characters for a world building project into SCRPG. The tone and scope of the SC verse fits my world really well and going through the full character creation process helps me flush them out.

However, I have one villain whose power set doesn't translate as well.

Chelsea Glasgow (Rictus) amplifies the powers of others, causing them to spike out of control. Affected heros may burn themselves out or hurt their teammates. If this were D&D, she would temporarily turn normal casters into wild magic casters. My first thought was to craft custom abilities like, "Boost multiple targets using your Max die. If the targets roll doubles while this bonus is active, they must remove the bonus and take a minor twist. Their actions succeed or fail as normal.", but I don't know if that level of chaos would break the game.

What I have so far:

• Approach: Disruptive (Enraging Touch and Heedless Explosion)
  • Archetype: Guerrilla (Even Odds and Fighting Rhythm)
  • Powers: Psychic Feedback (custom), Illusions, Suggestion and Telepathy.
  • Qualities: Magical Lore, Conviction, Alterness and Means To The End (roleplaying).
  • Upgrade: Power Dampening Field (roleplayed as the opposite)
  • Mastery: Total Chaos

I like where the Qualities are, but most of the powers feel useless and tacked on. The abilities are nice, but don't fit the character 100%.

I'm also having issues building a medic hero, but that's for later.

Please for advice?

Smile

drkrash1969

I don't think I'd craft custom abilities unless you really wanted to get a specific flavor that a player might cry foul about.

Could you explain how you imagine the abilities you chose work in terms of fluff and why you think they don't work?

powertrout

A specific flavor is what I want but I don't see any other villain abilities that invoke minor twists. Plenty that reference overcome and environment related twists. She's a relatively minor villain, so I don't want to make her crazy difficult to deal with in the process of breaking precedent.

The abilities I have are fine, but the only power that's used by an ability is "Psychic Feedback". Illusions, Suggestion and Telepathy are sorta related to her core ability but were thrown in 'cause I needed to choose four. I might swap them out for Presence and a couple mobility powers to make her a little less one-note.

Smile

catDreaming

Hm... Well, there's nothing saying that a minor villain can't impact the Environment around them. I'd suggest building an environment for her encounters, reflecting the ambient power spikes that she generates. The twists from the environment could easily reflect that aspect of her powers, maybe something like:

Forced Feedback: Boost one hero using the Max Die, then that hero loses health equal to the size of that bonus plus the Min die.

Or, if there's a particular powered individual around, you could use the effects of her powers on that individual to guide environment twists.

Ultimately though it's up to you.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

drkrash1969

Actually, building a custom environment for a particular villain encounter is a really cool idea.  Unfortunately, if it's a minor villain, it might not be worth the effort.

Otherwise, you could give the villain lots of abilities to generate Boosts and Hinders and just define them as environmental effects.