King of the Nerds UK

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester
King of the Nerds UK

So currently airing on British TV is a show called KIng of the Nerds, an adaption of an American property - a reality/game show about a bunch of nerds living in a house and competing in a bunch of challenges. It's quite fun, and quite silly, and I'm on it so I thought I should share :P 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IMrKX0bxaQ

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I didn't see a blue haired meerkat that can use a computer.

Edit: In seriousness, congrats for getting on the show. I'm going to have to watch that later.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That's pretty cool.  I liked what I got to watch of the U.S. version so it will interesting to see what is done differently here.  The odd part to me is that typically it seems the U.S. does adaptations of UK shows not the other way around.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Who should we be rooting for?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Watching now. It is very cool that you are on it. I have some questions, but I am guessing you can't answer them yet.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

My biggest question is why on Earth did nobody remove their glasses once they knew that they were about to be covered in paint?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Man, you're popular. You seem to be having more cutaway time than anyone else. The leader of the blue team is up there quite a bit aswell.

Powerhound_2000

So the first episode matched what normally happened in the U.S. version.  I'm not fully sure who you are in it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well, BlueHairedMeerkat is a playtester. Grab a rulebook and see if any of the names are there.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

And if he's not in that one, choose a different rulebook.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I was pretty impressed by the music quiz performance. It seems like Kevin shot himself in the foot by (a) scheming and (b) letting others notice.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'm not sure if he wants his name posted here, so I won't do it. However I did recall him mentioning what his name starts with... I'll just leave that here. https://greaterthangames.com/comment/21227#comment-21227

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Ronway, you have mad skillz. But yes, I am Curtis, and yes I do get rather a lot of screen time in this episode...

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

Had I remembered the playtester names were in the rule book I would looked it up but I did not until after I read other comments this morning.   The piece I find odd in this and the US show was that they say this takes place over eight weeks.  However, each episode seems to only occur over a day or two at most.  You probably can't answer this now but what is done during the rest of the time?    

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

So what kind of math are you studying? They really didn't let you say much, in a fairly annoying way.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Had I remembered the playtester names were in the rule book I would looked it up but I did not until after I read other comments this morning.   The piece I find odd in this and the US show was that they say this takes place over eight weeks.  However, each episode seems to only occur over a day or two at most.  You probably can't answer this now but what is done during the rest of the time?    

It's THE MAGIC OF TELEVISION! Each episode is filmed over two days (day 1 - Nerd War, day 2 - Nerd Off), and then the next day is another episode (except Sundays, which the cast got off).

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

I guess they must mean that there is one episode coming out over the period of eight weeks and not that you guys are there eight weeks.  Keep posting the video links I'm curious to see how it turns out.  I'll be rooting for you.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

There were a couple points during the video where I had to pause it to verify that the music was coming from the video, and not my own music.

I must say, though.  They called the place "Nerdvana", but I didn't see either their library or their board game collection.  They had those, yes?

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Nope! There were a few books and no board games (except the Bananagrams, which we used to put messages and nicknames above each other's pictures instead of actually playing). To be fair, we were filming sixteen hours a day, so there wasn't really time to play games. (Though one of our sponsors was a board game company, oddly...)

-Reckless

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Hmph!

If I may use the words of King Arthur, "On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

Considering what else was out together for costumes, why was a roll of duct tape used for your time machine?  In the U.S. version the nerd off at the end wasn't always a quiz and had some unique challenges, I wonder why the UK version is only doing straight up quizzes for the nerd off.  Nice touch at the end, bluehairedmeerkat, putting Bon Voyage on Ryan's plaque.  

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Time constraints, I think. The UK version is doing straight quizzes largely for budget reasons (my views on this are mixed; on the one hand, some of the American challenges were pure luck and this avoids that, but on the other hand it meant that, as you'll see, quizzers would sometimes not get put in simply because people didn't see the point of it).

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

Did you ask the producers if you could keep the dragon?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

The big problem I see with always having quizzes is that it means that the same people (namely Matt the Trivia Nerd) will always have an advantage when they get called up.

As far as the duct tape time machine goes, it makes perfect sense to me - duct tape holds the universe together after all!

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The big problem I see with always having quizzes is that it means that the same people (namely Matt the Trivia Nerd) will always have an advantage when they get called up.

Yup!

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

Any more episodes to share?

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Sure! Here's some castle building: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLnImJmIbxY

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

Yikes that is some trivia domination.  Glad to see you survived another week. 

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

-Reckless

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Does it count as precognition if it was obvious?

Also, I find it interesting that Matt thought that the coach of two nerd-off champions and Carrie's remarkable success in the debate (even considering the judges' bias towards ties) would be the easiest pickings on the team.

Powerhound_2000

Woot you survived another week and Matt's scheming didn't put you in the nerd off.   Considering how well those under your tutelage have done I think you would be scary to deal with in the nerd off.  I'm not sure that the prize for winning the debate at the Nerd War was all that impressive compared to the last few weeks.   Looking forward to the next episode.  

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Sadly timed trivia is not about knowledge and training as much as recall speed, which is a natural ability honed with experience, and as we saw with Karen, has a lot to do with the ability to drop things quickly and move on.

Knowledge and comfort in your subject is key, but I don't see anyone topping Matt unless he faces a good opponent and struggles with the subject.

Of course ticking off enough people that no one will help him could bring that about.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Curtis, you are my favorite person on that show. 

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Aww, shucks :D

-Reckless

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

You really are the best one on there.  Just quietly going about things the right way.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8JemG5n2g 

And you bring in another victory in the nerd off!  Although I'm not sure how much credit you can take for that one.

Also, nice shooting!

Powerhound_2000

Awesome shooting man!   The nerd off confuses me a bit.   Sometimes there a bonus round before the fast fire trivia and other times not.  Having the bonus round cost Yasmeen.  

You survive another week and I'm hoping you win it all.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Incidentally, I think that it would have been amusing if for this week's challenge (when there was seven people) to have been an individual challenge, with everyone playing Diplomacy.  First two players out enter the nerd-off.

Yes, it probably would have made for boring television, but it would have been fun to see all drama and politics the game would cause.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So, uh, Emily ... she seems nice.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Talk about blowing up the whole thing, Diplomacy would do it.

That was a great show, and as a person who found out at 17 that I was a really good shot I loved seeing Curtis crush their team.

I have been harboring suspicions that Curtis would do poorly in the nerd-off, but that cool display has changed my mind.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Sometimes there a bonus round before the fast fire trivia and other times not.  

According to the Wikipedia page, sometimes they simply don't air the _wild_card_ round.

Powerhound_2000

That seems weird as that could impact who wins the nerd off unless they tied in that bonus round.  

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Your team name is the better name, too!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

So, uh, Emily ... she seems nice.

She doesn't like Sentinels. :(

(As for the story behind the bit you're presumably referencing, production were trying pretty hard to ship us [although not groundlessly, admittedly], and so we did ridiculous over-the-top confessionals and annoyed the hell out of them. Unfortunately, they managed to use some of it...)

As for the Wild Card round, it always happened. If it's not shown, assume a draw.

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

I thought that might be the case where producers are trying to add drama that might not be there but I didn't really want to speculate on it.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Speaking of not showing things, we're the debates really just opening statements, or was there actually some, you know, debate?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

... we did ridiculous over-the-top confessionals and annoyed the hell out of them ...

That's hilarious!

Do you think that pissing them off changed how they portrayed you?

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Given that, shipping aside, I come across pretty damn well, I'm guessing probably not.

Episode six: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k7qYn0eNjA

(In my defense, some of my confessionals were filmed when I was just talking to the camera guy, and had been explicitly told we weren't filming. The b*****d.)

-Reckless

Powerhound_2000

Once again you're the one to tutor the winner of the nerd off.    It was interesting to see you volunteer yourself to be on the blue team but I understand it.   It certainly put the red team in a it of a panic from what they showed.   Watching those two items dropped I'm surprised that the teddy bear broke through that many panes of glasses. 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

What happens if both teams were to choose the same player for the Nerd-off?  Would that person have just gone home without a fight?  If so, that seems like the best way to get rid of Matt.

Also, speaking as someone who spent last summer breaking glass, you were way overthinking that challenge.  Glass, especially low quality glass, is extremely variable in it's impact resistance.  The drop-weight tester that I was using dropped weights from heights ranging from 2 cm and 30 cm, and I had some samples break at 2 cm, and some that refused to break at 30 cm, with no obvious differences between the samples.  

Pages