Kickstarter commentary

137 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bigbywolfe

There is a difference between a physical item and a digital one. That seems so obvious that I shouldn't have to say it. 

Would you complain the  book is overpriced because they are giving the PDF away for half that price? 

The fact that YOU can't fathom anyone wanting or even needing the sheets is not an argument for them to not exist. Simply saying "the character sheets are basically free" over and over again  doesn't make it true. It costs people paper, ink, and sometimes a not insignificant amount of time if they don't own a printer (or computer which is pretty common, lots of lower income individuals have smart phones but not an actual PC these days) to print your own sheets. Again, step away from the view that printing is cheap and easy for YOU thus the product is a waste/needless expense and realize that not everyone in the world is in your position.

aramis
aramis's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

That's nice; I know lots of people *with* printers.  Regardless of whether you do or not, the pad represents a charge for something that's effectively being given away of free.  If it's something you want to pay for, more power to you.  I just think it seems like adding the pads to the GM Kit adds a degree of cost on GtG's end for something that they're simultaneously providing for free.

Also, you can drop the subtle accusations of "stealing resources" from my employer; that's an assumption you're making all your own, quite incorrectly.

But they are NOT given away for free. The pad is 100 sheets of tangible. Running 100 sheets of tangible at my local UPS store is going to be about 25¢ per side for color on letter, or $0.50 per sheet, so $50. Might be able to get that down to $30 or so by using other sources, or submitting it for bulk printing. That said, if I'm wanting to fill in the data and print, the pad is of no use. If one is wanting blanks, for handwriting, the GM kit is a save over one-offs over time.

SOMEONE is paying for the ink and paper.

My cost for a roughly 4000 page cartrige on my B&W printer is $70 (brother).  About 1.7¢ per side. Plus the paper $5 for 500 sheets. 1¢ per sheet. So, about 4.4¢ per sheet, B&W.

Color inkjets are about $30 per cart, with about 1000 pages per cart, and 4 carts needed (CMYK) So $120 per 1000 pp... 12¢ per side, plus 1¢ for the page, or 25¢ per 2-sided sheet. Hmm... not so cheap. (ink sourced is XL carts for HP cart 950 & 951)

And those costs are before amortization of the printer itself. 

So, understand, if you're using the printer at work, you're stealing up to a quarter dollar per sheet, or, alternatively, you need to declare it as taxable perquisates. (in which case, it may still be theft, if they didn't authorize it, but at least you aren't cheating on your taxes. Remember, Al Capone was incarcerated not for the crimes, but for not paying taxes on the proceeds...)

Aramis

liarliar
liarliar's picture

I feel like we’ve established that both the online version and the character sheet pad will be useful to some people, and both will be less useful to some people, based on their needs and the resources at their disposal - which, without any information to the contrary, we can assume they’re accessing legally.

That having been happily established, I think we can pretty much leave it there.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well said.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

I usually use digital character sheets to handle the calculations that are often needed, but SCRPG doesn't really have those. :-) So when we play, we'll likely use the pads for simplicity. 

I hope I'm in that we!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

I hope I'm in that we!

Unless you want to run the game for us... ;-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

arenson9 wrote:

I hope I'm in that we!

Unless you want to run the game for us... ;-) 

I might actually be up for that.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

50K till Dark Watch source book

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

Christopher is actively watching and answering comments till 5PM Central https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-comics-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2420196

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

We have entered into the last 48 Hours which normally see an uptick in pledges once again.  

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Here's hoping we unlock that Dark Watch book!

Powerhound_2000

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

If we somehow do get the next stretchgoal of 350K, which I'm pretty confident that we'll hit since we still have a good 16+ hours to go, I'm going to be seriously considering swapping out from my 'Collector' pledge level and just pledging the exact amount for the stuff I want. The 'History of Sentinel Comics' book sounds neat and all, but I want the source gamebooks and GM stuff more, and I can't justify to myself paying more than I'm already going to...

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Think they'll have late pledges I won't be able to pledge till at least 10pm tomorrow.

Powerhound_2000

Kickstarter won’t let you pledge after it’s over.  So if you can’t pledge before the KS is over then you’ll have to wait on them publically opening backerkit. How soon backerkit is opened after the KS ends is hard to say. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm sorry I won't get to watch the final livestream (why are they always in the middle of the day on Fridays? I'm never home on Fridays!), but at least I was there for yesterday's. :V

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

So, pledge $1 now.  That's enough that'll get you into the backer kit/pledge manager.  Then, once you have the money in-hand, you can adjust your pledge.  

Anubis
Anubis's picture

I guess I'll have to buy it in September then

Powerhound_2000

KS raised $354,307

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That was an amazing end to the Kickstarter. The stream was fun! Hitting that $350k just minutes before the end was awesome! :-D

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Now to wait for the day that GTG is ready to hand out the Character Creation chapter...

Once that happens, I'll probably see about running my friends through the starter-kit adventures with their own characters. They get why, but they weren't too keen on trying it out if the character creation rules weren't included in it.

JesterOC

Phantom5613 wrote:

...they get why, but they weren't too keen on trying it out if the character creation rules weren't included in it.

Same boat. We did play a one shot, but my rpg friends for the most part have not played sentinels of the multiverse so getting into the roles of freedom five was a bit off putting.

Character creation rules will be the extra push I need.

JesteOC

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

That update will, assuming BackerKit is open, probably kick me into the PDF tier. (I goofed timing of a credit card billing cycle closing and ended up with two major expenses on the same statement instead of separated. Tied up disposable income for a bit.)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

davethegame wrote:

There's an archetype called "Modular" that covers heroes like Bunker and Muerto. It's... complicated. But the text under Modular walks you through the whole thing step-by-step. 

Say I wanted to make a size-altering hero, not that different from the likes of Sky Screper or A*t-Man. Would the Modular archetype be the one I should consider to build that kind of character?

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Actually, Muerto is a divided archetype and Bunker is Modular. I'd need to read both to figure out which be more towards a Kamen Rider motif mechanically.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Probably Divided.  Muerto's three physical forms are literally Tiny, Normal, and Huge (named Minuscule, Tough, and Towering).  Although he also has the transitional Ghost form; not sure how that works in the rules.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Er yeah size changing is nowhere near how a Rider operates...

aramis
aramis's picture

And the wait goes on... and on... and on...

Aramis

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm certain it's going to be a while before we really hear anything, or get the PDFs. Best to keep ourselves occupied until then.

Bigbywolfe

The estimated delivery for the PDF is 5 months away and that date has been set since the Kickstarter began. How are people complaining about waiting already?

VGBM
VGBM's picture

Right now the one thing I'm impatient for is the backerkit survey. I need to be sure I'll get the extra books that I want.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bigbywolfe wrote:

The estimated delivery for the PDF is 5 months away and that date has been set since the Kickstarter began. How are people complaining about waiting already?

Some folks want the character generation chapter early. I believe that's what they are asking about.

rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture

Rabit wrote:
Some folks want the character generation chapter early. I believe that's what they are asking about.

Hey, I wouldn't say no to the Villain and Environment generation chapters either.  ;-) 

But seriously, yeah, many of us have been itching to play this game since the Starter Kit. And some companies give advance looks at books to backers - things like plaintext versions of the rules. No art. Sometimes barely any formatting. But there's also plenty of companies that, like GTG, don't show backers anything until it's practically done - where there's just enough wiggle room to fix glaring errors. And I've done enough freelancing in the RPG industry to see both sides of the arguement. 

So as much as I was hoping that as soon GTG got the cash from kickstarter that we'd get copies of whatever it was they were using in the livesteams, I was also steeling myself to the idea that we wouldn't see anything until around August. 

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Personally I find using Starter kit and char creation you wouldn't really need the core book and could make campaigns easily enough. The biggest hurdle be villains.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm certain with over 400+ pages vs the starter-kit, one-shots and character chapter, there's plenty of info that we're missing.

VGBM
VGBM's picture

Not that people haven't already tried to reverse-engineer their own campaigns with… mixed results.

Pages