Kickstarter commentary

137 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dr. Kaylo Epsilon
Dr. Kaylo Epsilon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 08, 2015
Kickstarter commentary

By my calculations, there'll be a Kickstarter launching very soon now.

And yet... it's quiet here.

Too quiet.

 

...

 

*rolls to overcome strange silence?*

 


Let R be the set containing of all sets which do not contain themselves. Is R contained in R?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

I think the various Discords have taken over the chatter on this.  


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

Not sure when they'll launch it, but I'm repeatedly searching KS for 'Sentinel Comics' in the meantime.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

It launches at 11AM EST


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

Well, guess that means I'm taking today's break at 11 then.

Dr. Kaylo Epsilon
Dr. Kaylo Epsilon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: Feb 08, 2015

Phantom5613 wrote:

Well, guess that means I'm taking today's break at 11 then.

 

Not at 10:55? 


Let R be the set containing of all sets which do not contain themselves. Is R contained in R?

rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Nov 03, 2017

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I think the various Discords have taken over the chatter on this.  

Which Discord? 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

Letters Page and Realm of Discord


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

Dr. Kaylo Epsilon wrote:

 

Phantom5613 wrote:

 

Well, guess that means I'm taking today's break at 11 then.

 

 

Not at 10:55? 

Can't really do that when you're stationed at a different position every hour.

Also, my work's computers are stupid and won't let me make a pledge on KS from here.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 50 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Letters Page and Realm of Discord

Oh, good -- two places I don't have access to...

(I suck at Discord. :-( )


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 38 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Already funded.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Feb 26, 2016

Took about an hour!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

Phantom5613 wrote:

Can't really do that when you're stationed at a different position every hour.

Also, my work's computers are stupid and won't let me make a pledge on KS from here.

And then I remembered that I had a tiny super-computer in my pocket that, among it's other uses, I can use to peruse the internet at will.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 50 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

Woohoo!!! :-) Almost already at the first stretch goal! :-D 

I hope they're ready to share the rest of the stretch goals... ;-)

Phantom5613 wrote:

And then I remembered that I had a tiny super-computer in my pocket that, among it's other uses, I can use to peruse the internet at will.

We really do live in the future... Which is easy to forget. :-\


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 day ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 09, 2013

Rabit - 

I just sent you a Discord invite link for the Realm of Discord; don't have one for the Letters Page.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

And within the two hour mark, we've already broken the first stretchgoal.

They better start writing up the Guise Book. ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

jffdougan wrote:

Rabit - 

I just sent you a Discord invite link for the Realm of Discord; don't have one for the Letters Page.

Letters Page requires a $10 pledge into the Patreon


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 50 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

Broke 100k!!! :-D


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

Guise book!  Guise book!


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: May 22, 2014

So...in order to get the book I actually want, The History of Sentinel Comics, I have to get the book that I don't want because I'm not an RPer? Help me out, because I feel like I'm missing an obvious way to get my hand on just the history book. What am I missing?

dpt
dpt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 40 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Aug 06, 2013

You can pledge without a reward, then select the History book as an add-on for $49. See the second FAQ in the Kickstarter.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: May 22, 2014

Thanks a bunch!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 32 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 29, 2015

I was hoping for the History book in PDF form.  It's not worth $50 to me.


Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

There’s still time for that to happen and you aren’t the only one I’ve seen comment about a PDF version. 


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
ketigid
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: Oct 11, 2011

I'm slightly confused since I don't have the starter kit. My question, is the core rulebook a superset of the starter kit? If I support the Kickstarter to get the core rulebook, what am I missing from the starter kit?

Thanks.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

I think what you’d mostly missing is the 6 part adventure in the Starter Kit and a Finest Legacy character sheet.  


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

ketigid wrote:

I'm slightly confused since I don't have the starter kit. My question, is the core rulebook a superset of the starter kit? If I support the Kickstarter to get the core rulebook, what am I missing from the starter kit?

Thanks.

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I think what you’d mostly missing is the 6 part adventure in the Starter Kit and a Finest Legacy character sheet.  

There's also the six character booklets as well. The Freedom Five and Unity will have gone through some character changes since then(since a decent amount of time has passed in-universe), so the Starter kit is a good way to get a look at the characters in their 'prime' fully active super team forms. Not to mention all the other characters and villains you come across in the adventure itself.

These booklets and the six-part adventure make up a very good portion of the value of the Starter kit, so I'd say it's definitly worth picking up even if you already plan on getting the core book.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

Except for Unity and Finest Legacy (though Heritage will be here) the other hero character sheets are supposed to be part of the Core Rulebook as well.


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Rabit
Rabit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 50 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Aug 08, 2011

We've broken 150k!!! :-o Woohoo! 

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Except for Unity and Finest Legacy (though Heritage will be here) the other hero character sheets are supposed to be part of the Core Rulebook as well.

Due to passing of time (both in-game and in game development time), Finest Legacy and Heritage will probably have different details. :-)


"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Until we have an H emoticon:

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

I agree if Heritage isn’t changed from Legacy in the Starter Kit I’ll be surprised.  


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 32 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 29, 2015

I'm 99% sure they'll all be changed.  Trying to follow the character creation process from the two livestreamed games, most of not all of the Starter Kit sheets cannot be created using the current version of the rules.  In some cases it looks like their HP totals might be the only thing to change a little bit--it's hard to tell without seeing the full rules--but they should all be getting at least some small tweaks.

The big thing in the starter kit is the 6 adventures.  And if you're going with the print versions, the character sheets, even if incorrect, come in shiny booklets.


Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: May 22, 2014

So, as a non-RPer, I'm still a bit shocked about the price of all of this. People seem more than willing to plop down $59+ for what, in my mind, is just a book. Are all RP systems similarly priced? Why does this book cost more than most board games, which have boards, cards, minis, dice, cubes, tokens, etc.? My questions are out of geniune curiosity, since it's just such a foreign idea to me. I can buy novels that have plenty of thought, time, effort, rewrites, world-building, and more put in to them for $10.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 32 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 29, 2015

Yep, pretty much.  For one, oversize books like these are expensive to print, and for another, whole teams of people are involved in the writing, development, art, and publication of RPG rules books.  The D&D core rulebooks are $50 each MSRP (though they go on sale for much less) and you need 3 of them at minimum.  Other games' core rulebooks are usually in the $50-$60 range, although some slim ones go down to about $30.  $20 for the PDF is actually quite reasonable.


Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

I'm not a backer yet but hope to be. But what about char creation? I mean some abilities on pregens sound like from a list and others sound made up for that hero yet we can only randomly generate em? 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 44 min ago
Joined: Feb 26, 2016

I've always gotten the feeling that character generation ends you with a series of generic abilities -- deal damage at range, hinder with your min die, etc. -- that you can then use as a framework to design the specific effects that are unique to your hero. So if you had, say, an "Energy Blast" power (I don't know what's in the actual rules, mind), you could make it an Ice Blast for a cold hero, or a Fire Blast for a fire hero. Hinders could range anywhere from sudden blasts of supersonic sound to tangling vines sprouting up from below. It really sounds like there's a lot of room for creativity in terms of power set; all you roll for is mechanics.

XtremeGuardian
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Jun 25, 2014

I think they will be going more in depth on Character Creation on Monday with their scheduled update.

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

I hope I can get something akin to defend and transform to a form on auxiliary sheet that sounds like a very Tokusatsu translated into mechanics ability to me. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 24, 2013

much0gust0 wrote:

So, as a non-RPer, I'm still a bit shocked about the price of all of this. People seem more than willing to plop down $59+ for what, in my mind, is just a book. Are all RP systems similarly priced? Why does this book cost more than most board games, which have boards, cards, minis, dice, cubes, tokens, etc.? My questions are out of geniune curiosity, since it's just such a foreign idea to me. I can buy novels that have plenty of thought, time, effort, rewrites, world-building, and more put in to them for $10.

MindWanderer wrote:

Yep, pretty much.  For one, oversize books like these are expensive to print, and for another, whole teams of people are involved in the writing, development, art, and publication of RPG rules books.  The D&D core rulebooks are $50 each MSRP (though they go on sale for much less) and you need 3 of them at minimum.  Other games' core rulebooks are usually in the $50-$60 range, although some slim ones go down to about $30.  $20 for the PDF is actually quite reasonable.

I can verify that this price is pretty standard. I have a few different core books for different game systems, and those in the same size(8.5" x 11" with 400+ pages, hardcover w/ presumably full color pages) normally go for $60. Some companies can go lower, like MindWanderer pointed out, but you normally need a set of books to 'propperly' play the game.

For example, Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition is a game system that has one 'core' book that's contains all the base rules and systems to play a game BUT has no info for any of their specialty settings like Deadlands Reloaded, Rippers, The Last Parsec, etc. It normally runs for just about $10. To get all the tasty setting info, powers and edges and whatnot, you need to purchase settings books. Depending on their importance they can run around a standard $15-$20. And most of those books run pretty slim/small in comparison, and almost none of them have hardcovers or anywhere near a 400+ page count.

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

I really hope we get to 200k I really wanna buy a Lovecraft themed adventure it'll be very light-hearted and less "It's not will you win it's how far can you go before dying horribly." Grim. 

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 33 min ago
Joined: Feb 10, 2013

Phantom5613 wrote:

 

much0gust0 wrote:

 

So, as a non-RPer, I'm still a bit shocked about the price of all of this. People seem more than willing to plop down $59+ for what, in my mind, is just a book. Are all RP systems similarly priced? Why does this book cost more than most board games, which have boards, cards, minis, dice, cubes, tokens, etc.? My questions are out of geniune curiosity, since it's just such a foreign idea to me. I can buy novels that have plenty of thought, time, effort, rewrites, world-building, and more put in to them for $10.

 

 

MindWanderer wrote:

 

Yep, pretty much.  For one, oversize books like these are expensive to print, and for another, whole teams of people are involved in the writing, development, art, and publication of RPG rules books.  The D&D core rulebooks are $50 each MSRP (though they go on sale for much less) and you need 3 of them at minimum.  Other games' core rulebooks are usually in the $50-$60 range, although some slim ones go down to about $30.  $20 for the PDF is actually quite reasonable.

 

I can verify that this price is pretty standard. I have a few different core books for different game systems, and those in the same size(8.5" x 11" with 400+ pages, hardcover w/ presumably full color pages) normally go for $60. Some companies can go lower, like MindWanderer pointed out, but you normally need a set of books to 'propperly' play the game.

For example, Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition is a game system that has one 'core' book that's contains all the base rules and systems to play a game BUT has no info for any of their specialty settings like Deadlands Reloaded, Rippers, The Last Parsec, etc. It normally runs for just about $10. To get all the tasty setting info, powers and edges and whatnot, you need to purchase settings books. Depending on their importance they can run around a standard $15-$20. And most of those books run pretty slim/small in comparison, and almost none of them have hardcovers or anywhere near a 400+ page count.

To be clearer, Pinnacle Entertainment (the creators of Savage Worlds) are actively going away from that model, as they've lost money on their corebooks for literally years.  And, thanks to the proliferation of third-party settings (and free fan settings for many major IPs), sales for their individual settings aren't as strong as they could or should be.

The newest edition of SW (called Savage Worlds Adventure Edition, or SWADE) will be around that $40 price point,  Which, for a full-color, hardbound rulebook, is damned cheap.

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

When you think update be today?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

I made this comment on the KS and posting this here too.  There was talk of GtG doing another season of the RPG around the time of the KS with Adam as GM or more adventures with the Visitors. Is that still going to happen during the campaign or shorty after?


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 48 min ago
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Joined: Sep 14, 2013

New update about hero creation and types of books beyond the core rulebook.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-comics-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2406264


Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

 
Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

I wonder what supplements they'd make... Maybe manga so I can emulate Pokemon or Tokusatsu. Horror be also fun there's Dreamer and Gloomweaver who definitely have horror motifs about them. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 32 min ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 29, 2015

When they say "comic book setting/storytelling", pretty sure they mean Sentinel Comics setting/storytelling options (street level, cosmic, mythos, mythic, reality-hopping, etc.) and not entirely different styles of publication, like manga.


Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

Well Manga is as much a genre in of itself as well as it is a way to publish comics.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 day ago
Playtester
Joined: Oct 09, 2013

Anubis wrote:

Well Manga is as much a genre in of itself as well as it is a way to publish comics.

But not, so far as we know, a genre with which Sentinel Comics ever dabbled.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 33 min ago
Joined: Feb 10, 2013

And even then, let's look at how many other books will likely be ahead of it, given that those themes are already prevalent in the card game:

-- Horror/Occult (Tome of the Bizarre, Gloomweaver, Nightmist, Harpy, Court of Blood)

--Iron Age/Street Level (Rook City Renegades, Dark Watch, The Chairman)

--Cosmic/Space (Cosmic Tales, Prime Wardens, any alien threats)

--GLOBAL/FILTER (Both organizations, The Block, international threats like Mordengrad and Plavu'col)

-- The Void and The Host (self evident)

-- Time-travel/dimension hopping  (Yes, I know that's "not possible" now; I also know enough about comics to know that rule will be in place about as long as someone stays dead in an X-Men series)

That's just off the top of my head, not even counting any sourcebook for the Sentinels of Freedom specifically. 

So, even if a manga sourcebook were in the plans, it'd likely be *way* down the list...

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

Ah well regardless this system can allow for Tokusatsu roleplaying 

rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Nov 03, 2017

I feel like they mentioned a manga adaptaion of Freedom Five in the Metaverse at some point on the Letters Page.

Either way, super-heroes are something of a Ur-Setting, so any good supers game should be able to handle just about any sort of character. I would assume that the rules for Unity's bots could be used for making a Pokemon trainer, and if you can make Bunker or Meurto, you can make a Tokusatsu character. 

But in terms of having a horror themed game, for instance, I think really all you have to do is change the "skin" of the encounter. I mean, the spider-bot assault from the first issue in the Starter Set could just as easily been a bunch of demon spiders. And the twists could be darker, where maybe the spiders start to turn bystanders into spider-monsters, and it takes some kind of magical counterspell overcome to reverse it. 

 

Anubis
Anubis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: Feb 20, 2018

Yes I agree Bunker and Muerto are great evidence you can make a Kamen Rider 

Pages