Kamen Rider Campaign

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anubis
Anubis's picture
Kamen Rider Campaign

So when we get the Core Book I plan on making a Tokusatsu themed campaign with lots of flashy superheroics and over the top villains and lots of hamminess. I was curious if anyone in forums would be interested in a campaign utilizing Tokusatsu heroes and villains? It'd take a lot of work but I'm super excited about setting it up. I feel judging by the Starter Kit a Tokusatsu themed campaign be really easy to utilize unlike other systems where it be hard to do. 

Villain Examples

[url=http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121222234924/kamenrider/images/4/40/KRWi-Medusa.jpg]Medusa[/url]

[url=https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2b/f2/cf/2bf2cfc50b7af015e011530b8172013d.jpg/]Night Rogue[/url]

[url=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Bgszd7ffHz0/UbMC9W0B_mI/AAAAAAAA_AU/62UntqFVcHI/s1600/%5BOver-Time%5D+Kamen+Rider+Wizard+-+36+%5B15CBFE11%5D.mkv_snapshot_08.29_%5B2013.06.08_00.38.58%5D.jpg/]Carbuncle[/url]

Hero Examples

[url=https://pm1.narvii.com/6710/91c99e746a2643af4dd98dd999ff7424173475ff_hq.jpg/]Kamen Rider Wizard[/url]

[url=https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/c8/1d/18c81d0764636ec0392cc4c6ae8b2e10.jpg/]Kamen Rider Build: Ninin Comic Match[/url]

The envoriments be rather simple and just various city locales... Usually but same might be the bad guy's evil lair or some other dimension.

While I enjoy Super Sentai or Power Rangers I feel Kamen Rider is more mature but still over the top special effects happy.  

Edited by: Anubis on Mar 31 2019 - 6:17pm
degausser

I'm glad to see someone else has come up with a similar idea: I have come up with a tokusatsu-based superhero by frankensteining several different powers from the 11 revealed characters so far and guessing at powers, and qualities: and even have a backstory!  Check out the first hero listed here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14YMRi3sGADh6-9WRjzPJsvFGd_L9gTqDnXNzqsJv4ww/edit?usp=sharing

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm pretty sure you already know that I'm interested.

I think a Ranger-themed game could work too.

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you already know that I'm interested.

I think a Ranger-themed game could work too.

While I like Sentai I feel Rider would give the PCs more oppertunity to be unique stead of everyone same but diff weapons. 

degausser

Well, costumes may be the same, along with (I guess) power sources, but backgrounds, abilities, and maybe even civilian powers could be different.

Anubis
Anubis's picture

I just rather do Kamen Rider. 

degausser

Anubis wrote:

i mean, they are both tokusatsu series and the game assumes a team so. . . If you take inspiration from Kamen Rider and the next guy takes inspiration from a sentai series. . . Would you even notice?  Would it even matter?

Anubis
Anubis's picture

degausser wrote:

Anubis wrote:

i mean, they are both tokusatsu series and the game assumes a team so. . . If you take inspiration from Kamen Rider and the next guy takes inspiration from a sentai series. . . Would you even notice?  Would it even matter?

Kamen Rider is more individuals working together when there is a team. Sentai is everyone is part of team and mostly have same powers but diff weapons.  

degausser

Sure, but, like. . . If I played a sentai-like character and you played a Karmen-rider like character, then would that be so bad?  I wouldn’t be forcing others to play sentai characters of course.  I’d just be like Andross at the start of Power Rangers in Space-a solo ranger until he meets a team.

Anubis
Anubis's picture

I suppose that could work but I feel a campaign focused on Sentai would have the PCs be too similar.

VGBM
VGBM's picture

Sorry, noob question, what's the difference between super sentai and kamen rider?

Anubis
Anubis's picture

VGBM wrote:

Sorry, noob question, what's the difference between super sentai and kamen rider?

Pit bluntly as possible.

Super Sentai/Power Rangers: Focuses on team dynamics and always always always has a huge monster fight at end of almost every episode. The plots tend to range from serious to just plain silly.

Kamen Rider (English Translation Masked Rider) Technically KR was about a year before Super Sentai(Sentai meaning Team) and Sentai is based off Kamen Rider to appeal to kids better. Rider focuses on one hero they may get friends that they band together with or villains(who may or may not join heroes after so n so amount of time being evil) and those friends may be important but they tend to die near climax or lose their powers. 

I feel that Super Sentai/Power Rangers would easily devolve into everyone having the same power set but one or two differences. Whilst Kamen Rider could have each hero be similar in looks and power origins but could have their own unique ability list.

degausser

VGBM wrote:

So, at their heart, they are both "Tokusatsu" shows, which roughly translated means 'special effects,' but it's more of a genre in Japan.  Dudes in silly costumes doing faux martial arts while fighting a villian of the week whereas a bigger villian behind the scenes is trying to accomplish something bad (almost always involving taking over/destroying the earth.)  Each season focuses on a new set of characters.

The U.S. translated a slew of them in the 90's using the special FX footage but filming with American actors and modifying (or sometimes fabricating) the scripts.  Power rangers was the first (loosly based on Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger.)  but after the success of that, there were others.  Masked Rider was based on Kamin Rider, Big Bad Beatle Borgs (Juukkou B-Fighter), the list goes on.

I'm not a huge Kamen Rider fan, but the biggest difference is that a super Sentai series focuses on a team (usually three or five people, usually expanding through the series to five to six) and they all have similar costumes.  Kamen Rider is usually about a single superhero who maybe sometimes gets one or two allies.  Sometimes Kamen Rider tends to be a bit more mature and darker in its themes . . . but not always.

I actually Disagree with Anubis that a Super Sentai themed game would be too same-ey, as Christopher and Adam have gone on record saying you can build similar characters in so many different ways that you could really have fun with it . . . choosing different abilities and different weapons and such.  Sure their costumes would be the same, but, like, you're in a theater-of-the-mind RPG so that doesn't really matter?  And with the introduction of Civilian powers that crop up in some seasons ( https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Category:PR_Rangers_with_Special_Abilities ), you could even have different powers.  Mind you , I also think a Kamen Rider based RPG could work, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Anubis
Anubis's picture

Ah well everyone has different opinions you can do Sentai/Power Rangers I'll do Kamen Rider.

Darsh

A little late to the party (although still a long way until release), but I would totally be interested in playing, assuming schedules work out, etc. I would be fine either as a "main character" aka a "Rider" or as a support character. You know, that guy that's always running around, helping out. Maybe super-human levels of hacking with drones and such for combat support or something like that. Obviously still a "hero" but not necessarily the one in the spotlight. Depends on the party dynamic, eh?