Just finished Issue #1 of the SCRPG Starter Kit

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Escher
Just finished Issue #1 of the SCRPG Starter Kit

I just finished Issue #1 of the SCRPG Starter Kit, and I have opinions.

The biggest one right up front is that, while I love the way minion and lieutenant "health" works, I found that minion actions quickly became a problem.  The first fight with 15 minion spider-bots working in trios just took too long to roll.  Even rolling three dice at a time and quickly working out the boost/attack/hinder combo, it just felt draggy, to the point that I wondered if I was doing it right.  I'm sure I will get faster with time, but it still seems ridiculous to roll fifteen individual actions.  And even if the mods were small, I know at least one of my players was getting a bit frustrated about having a penalty on almost every roll due to the large number of minions throwing webs around, and each virtually guaranteed to generate at least a -1 hinder.

I wonder if there's a fair way to treat a minion group as a single entity instead of having each taking independent actions.  I think about how minions were handled in FFG's Star Wars games, where they have a basic dice pool and each extra minion in the group just upgrades the group rather than making a whole separate roll, and wonder if that could be adapted.  I was thinking maybe each minion in a group, after the first, just gives an automatic boost to the main one, based on their die size.  d4 and d6 minions give a +1 apiece, d8 and d10 give +2 each, and d12 minions give a +3.  Then the 'first' minion just takes an action (which could be an attack, hinder, whatever).  So a group of 3 d6 minions would just roll one d6 and then add 2 to the result, rather than doing 3 separate things.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

In Cold Steel Wardens, I wrote what's lovingly referred to as the "mook rule".

When minions/mooks all take the same action against the same target, only roll once for that action. However, gain a bonus to that action equal to the number of mooks doing it, up to max of 5 dice/+5.

Escher

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, I just figured stronger-than-d6 minions ought to give more than just a +1, to reflect that they're stronger and capable of hitting a higher Boost result.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I would not Remove the hinder bot. If you don't wanna roll, just roll 1 for damage, giving the damage +1 and a hinder of -1, with the occasional +/-2.  I find that this encounter the Heroes quickly learn how doos hinder can be.

Honestly it is not too bad once you learn that boost/hinder levels. There is nothing like having Legacy Webbed up with a -7, saying "umm guys, maybe I do need help" Punching to break out of webs (Whatever he rolls will be at a -7, then it will go away.) while giving everyone a boost (without negatives).

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Escher

The issue isn't that specific fight, it's having a dozen-plus minions in a fight in general.  I'm not objecting to the starter adventures in specific, I'm objecting to how minion combat is handled on a conceptual level.

Doing what I'm suggesting, you'd still have the spiders throwing webs on people -- it's just the entire group would be doing hinders all at once, with the two 'assistants' giving +1s to the main guy, who rolls the d6+3 to determine how hard the hinder is.

In fact, in my game, I never got to the point of having anyone webbed up to -7 or even -3.  I'm not sure how you did, unless I was running it wrong.  The bots max out at a result of 7, so the webs were only ever a -1 or -2.  And it applies against the hero's next action only (as it's not persistent), so every round it was basically web for -2, hero takes an action at -2, web for -2, etc.  Useful to show what a Hinder does, but not exactly interesting or exciting.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

It was a complicated set of events. Basically, I had a 2nd Lt. in the park ( a Major twist put it there) and legacy taking care of things by him self, I was rolling badly for damage. As the number of spiders grew in the park I decided to a webbing strategy, 3 bots rolled a 4+ and a 4th a 3-. With Damage reduction 2, and healing one he was not worried about going down. I Said they start dragging him to a tree where the other Mothership was to hold him hostage but he kept breaking out.

Due to Unity and the party work on the First Lt. ( they beat it down quick it was a d6 Lt. before they spit the party) Tachyon and another went to help Legacy and with what they learn about the first one, they completely took apart the 2nd one.

I have changed a few things about the adventure every time I play. Usually, the players change the setup based on what they do. I do end up putting more bots on the scene just to make it look dangerous, and for people to do stuff ( based if the group like punching or figuring out the mystery) Area of effect attacks end up being every good vs minion so I don't feel bad.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star