Indie game looking for playtesters: Almasy Tactics (Flash)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
conix
conix's picture
Indie game looking for playtesters: Almasy Tactics (Flash)

Hiya, I'm conix! I'm working on a strategy game called Almasy Tactics. It's a really unique simultaneous turn based game in which you create and control a completely customized army in a multiplayer battlefield! I'm currently looking for playtesters to help me test new features as they're added.

I've been working on Almasy Tactics for about two years and still actively developing it. The initial idea for the game came from my interest in Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, but I hated how infeasible it was to play against my friends. The games either took too long, or in Fire Emblem's case, were just stat wars. I tried a couple of online SRPGs, but typically they're boring grindfests with only overarching strategy. This game incorporates both micro and macro elements - some people who've tested it love coming up with new combos; others prefer focusing on the prediction and board control element.

Mix and match powerful skills to invent new ways to outsmart your enemies! Unlock brand-new classes and abilities with the spoils of war!

Features

• Pit your custom team in challenging multiplayer battles
  • Unlock 35 unique classes for your ever-growing army
  • Customize your characters with over 40 distinct spells and abilities
  • Character creation is designed to facilitate creative thinking, giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play

Screenshots

A tinkerer's defensive fortification of Caltrops and Turrets

Mages casting the Ice Blast spell

Crusader shackling an enemy, preventing him from moving away

Play now for free at bit.ly/almasytactics! It's in Flash, so you can play it in your browser.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The art looks pretty cool.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looks pretty fun. Went through the tutorial. I'm not interested in spending time to learn a new game, but if I were, this one looks pretty tempting.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Shouldn't we be discouraging random non-SotM posts like this?  This is only a little different than someone posting "hey, I sell Amway, anyone want to try it out?"  Not to be a jerk or anything...

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

conix
conix's picture

arenson: Thanks for trying it out :D

Spiff: Sorry.. I figured there might be a little interest + I'm pretty hungry for feedback, and there's really no commitment needed for testing the game. Again, sorry!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff: Good question. It's in Off Topic, so I'm personally not worried - we've had folks plug for a Kickstarter and things like that, before. But we will check with the Powers-That-Be to find out if they are concerned.

I agree I don't want to see this forum become an advertising billboard... frown

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

The fact that it seems like the account was probably created (albeit with the best of intentions) as a way to advertise this game is what worries me. If it was someone who was already part of the forum I'd see it more as them sharing with or asking for the help of their community.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep - definitely understand. Which is why we're checking. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Conix -- Just out of curiousity, are you completely new to this forum, or have you been around for a while, but just created an account now?

Related -- why did you post on this forum? Were you posting everywhere you could, or is there something about this community that interests you?

conix
conix's picture

Completely new. I was trying to post in as many places that seemed relevant (now in retrospect, I realize how terrible of an idea this was. I apologize).  The reason why I chose to post on this forum is because it seemed like people ~might~ be interested, since it's centered around a game that (from my understanding) has some emphasis around synergistic cards, and finding/playing around with synergies is what my game is about.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Conix has had plenty of chances to toss a smoke bomb and disappear once his solicitation was called out, but instead he's been honest and earnest about what he had in mind, which I admire.  Maybe we should make him an honorary member of the SotM community after all. :)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

conix wrote:

Completely new. I was trying to post in as many places that seemed relevant (now in retrospect, I realize how terrible of an idea this was. I apologize).  The reason why I chose to post on this forum is because it seemed like people ~might~ be interested, since it's centered around a game that (from my understanding) has some emphasis around synergistic cards, and finding/playing around with synergies is what my game is about.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. I also appreciate the apology. I think an excellent penance would be to give Sentinels a try and come back and tell us what you think of it.

PePe QuiCoSE

Spiff wrote:
Maybe we should make him an honorary member of the SotM community after all. :)
Burning him on a stake is still more fun though!
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Now, PePe - you'll scare the poor person off. wink

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Question to the OP, is the name of your game an intentional Final Fantasy reference?  If so, between that and the Tactics name, I hope you have a lawyer's phone number, just in case Square Enix decides to flex their muscles at you.  (I'm not saying that you've actually infringed their copyright; I'm saying that they could claim you did, and you'd have to pay thousands of dollars in legal fees to argue otherwise.)

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

BrotherDusk
BrotherDusk's picture

Envisioner wrote:

Question to the OP, is the name of your game an intentional Final Fantasy reference?  If so, between that and the Tactics name, I hope you have a lawyer's phone number, just in case Square Enix decides to flex their muscles at you.  (I'm not saying that you've actually infringed their copyright; I'm saying that they could claim you did, and you'd have to pay thousands of dollars in legal fees to argue otherwise.)

A name would be trademark infringment. Copyright would be a graphical expression of the FF character.

And a trademark suit against him for using a simple character name would be frivolous (lawyers can lose their licenses and incur fines for filing these a la federal rules of civil procedure, rule 11) because the name has to have taken on a secondary meaning synonymous with Square-Enix.  The court would laugh them out the door.

Edit: forgot this part too: a frivolous suit would award attorneys fees to defendant, his only cost would be the time required to find an attorney to file a motion to dismiss.

That said, A.N.A.L. (am not a lawyer) and am not giving legal advice.

conix
conix's picture

arenson9: Sure! Can you direct me to a place to get started? I skimmed around and couldn't really find anything I could do immediately.

Envisioner: No, it actually was an unfortunate coincidence.  I was trying to make a game with my friend and we chose that name out of several random words just because we liked how it sounded. I carried the name over when that game fell flat on its face. Googling "Almasy" returns just a bunch of people's names, but hopefully I won't ever have to lawyer up against SE.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Normally, the online store has the Enhanced Edition of the game (the base / core set) available, but it's currently sold out. It's probably available at your friendly local gaming store, and it's also available online at place like Amazon. (The rulebook is also available online.)