How to beat (Advanced) Miss Information

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Natediggadoggity

I was interested in figuring out this Villain, especially since she'll be available digitally fairly soon, and so I played a few solo games and think I have the gist of it. Feel free to add suggestions, or correct my mistakes. Using Flamethrower's guides as blueprints, I present:

Primary damage types: Psychic/Sonic

Secondary damage types: Lightning, Energy, Melee, Cold (from diversions and ongoings)

Most dangerous attack: Suspicious Malfunction

Most dangerous utility: Diversionary Tactics

Most annoying: “Threat” to the President

Honorable mention: Another reality's debt. There's only one in the deck, but it hurts so so much.

Card you most want to see: What doesn't kill you... and “Explosion” in the Lab

Nemesis: Parse

Miss Information is uniquely aggravating, because she severely limits what the heroes can do. They can't hit her directly on her front side, they can do very little about her ongoings and diversions, can't buff themselves too much in fear of taking too much self damage, and can't keep their cards on the table, or many in their hand due to her many card destruction effects. It's like the advice we give people who are showing this game to new players for the first time: Don't play in Megalopolis because it limits what the heroes can do, with paparazzi on the scene, hostage situation, and traffic pileup, and isn't fun to new players who are still figuring out what they can do. Miss Information is worse than Megalopolis, and she's even more aggravating on advanced mode.

On her front side heroes take 1 more damage, which is fairly standard, but once she flips she has freaking 2 damage reduction! If you don't have nukes or ways of applying irreducible damage, it's not advisable to try hitting her because she'll be doing 1-3 retaliatory damage with every 1 damage you finally get through to her. That 45 health feels like 150 when she has so much armor.

In addition to the above difficulties, She's one of the few villains that gets harder with more heroes. When H=3, only 2 clues are needed to flip her, they'll only take 1 retaliatory damage once she flips, and she'll hit 1 hero target with the lowest for 2 more. When H=5, retaliatory damage is 3, and she's hitting 3 heroes for 2 damage each, which starts adding up quickly. You need 4 clues for her to flip, which will take a few more turns, and while you're waiting for that, her most damaging attack: Suspicious malfunction does 6 damage to all heroes every round.

Strategy

So, how do you beat her? Deck control is very important against Miss Information. Ongoing destruction is also really good, as you'll be needing it to avoid her worst cards. The safest clues to get out are generally What doesn't kill you... (3), Isolated Hero (2), and Concealed Betrayal (2). Insider Knowledge (2) also isn't too bad, but she's putting her diversions into play with diversionary tactics so often that you want to avoid keeping it around too long if you can avoid it, so I'll usually try and destroy that one too. If it's the last clue you need for her to flip, I'll let a misplaced memo or a suspicious malfunction through, since you can have her destroy it as soon as she flips, without it dealing any damage on its own. The object is to top her deck with clues as fast as possible and get her to flip. What doesn't kill you... is also especially useful because giving her extra plays gets her clues out quicker, sparing you another round or two of waiting.

Once she does flip, you want heroes that can either nuke her, or apply irreducible damage so you can get through her armor, and even then, you may want to wait until you can do 5+ damage attacks because 3 for 3 damage is not a good trade.

For the most part, her ongoing destruction is manageable. She will usually destroy 1-2 hero cards a turn, none if you manage to take out diversions every round. You want to choose a hero or two that can play more than one card per turn, (Omnitron X, Naturalist with his forms, Guise) so you can choose the cards she'll destroy, or Heroes that have lots of useful one-shots and don't need much setup to be useful. (Sentinels, Setback) Heroes that can tank/heal, and draw your team extra cards are also superb, because you'll likely be short of cards more than once in this fight.

A word about Diversions: She has 5 diversions in her deck, “Explosion” being the easiest to control, since it only destroys a card if you have 3 or more in play, (plus one before she's flipped) and “Threat” being the worst because it's a diversion that WILL destroy 2 cards every round, (before she flips at least) and since diversions aren't ongoings, nothing short of cedistic dissonant (AA) or end of days (Fanatic) can get rid of it. Or destroying another 3-5 hero cards, but that wastes several plays, and not usually worth it if she's going to pull it back out of the trash with insider knowledge or a diversionary tactic shuffle. Diversions are sometimes a good thing, because they allow you to control What doesn't kill you... since it only plays extra cards if no diversions are in play, and because the diversions that are targets are fun for your group. They're sitting there being frustrated by their inability to hit her, and love being able to smash that kitty in the tree to bits while they wait. (as long as you don't get all 3 at once)

Exploits:

Missing Resources can be countered by bringing heroes with unique card types, like Captain cosmic with his constructs, Unity's golems, or a distortion from Visionary.

Isolated hero will also prevent heroes from damaging each other, so Haka's rampage and Nightmist's oblivion won't hurt your buddies.

Try using:

Parse. She's shuts down Miss Information by only buffing specific abilities, or adding damage to specific targets thus dodging hero self damage; she does irreducible damage, destroys ongoings, controls the top of the villain deck, can discard diversions with buffer overflow, and has lots of super useful one-shots. She's squishy though, bring some protection.

PW Captain Cosmic. He can dodge much of her hero card destruction from another reality's debt, “explosion” and “threat”, and can keep several constructs in play. A construct that does her damage will be hit with the retaliatory damage, and not a hero themselves. His construct targets are usually the lowest hp hero targets, which really helps against “old lady” in the street and Miss Info's flipped side, and he even has a nuke in construct cataclysm. He has no ongoing destruction or villain deck control though, so bring someone along who has that.

Avoid:

Applying global damage buffs to the heroes, 4 cards make the heroes do self damage, or all 13 ongoings if she's flipped.

Most people would probably avoid AZ, but he can work, if you have enough other people playing ongoings/equipment to keep his stuff in play, His nukes and healing are fairly reliable once he's set up.

Edited by: Natediggadoggity on Oct 5 2015 - 5:57am
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If you really hate yourself you might play Miss Information in Megaopolis.   This is probably one of the few villains I might suggest Rook City only to get her to flip quicker potentially.   

Mr. Fixer is pretty good against her as he can play Jack Handle to allow him to deal her damage when she tries to force him to damage himself.   Combine that with Alternating Tiger Claw and all that damage gets through.   If you aren't playing advanced and are at four or less heroes you can use Driving Mantis to reflect her retaliatory damage.  It can be done on advanced but redirecting the damage won't damage her.  

Tachyon is good too as she saves up for larger hits and can get bursts setup in her trash while waiting for her to flip.   She also has ongoing destruction.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Natediggadoggity

Thanks Powerhound, I ended up neglecting the earlier heroes as I was typing this up.

If there are no other additions or fixes that need to be made, can I request that this thread be linked to in the strategy guide sticky'd post?

SandyStriker

In the digital version she is even more aggravating than when I first played her deck. To my surprise the interpretation of lab explosion is that your character card also counts as a card in play so you can only have 1 card played not 2 as you can't not have your character card. I don't think this interpretation was very intuitive so I suspect many people played it where you could keep two cards out. SInce she is so difficult on the advanced side, this tweak really throws her into the nearly impossible category when using 5 character. There is a lot more that you can do with 2 non character cards than with only 1. I hope the interpretation somehow magically reverts to not considering the character card because IMHO she was already too frustrating before this revelation.

Powerhound_2000

Yep character cards count as a card in play.  The one most effected is the Sentinels who count as having five cards in play from the start.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

mwc146
mwc146's picture

So do the Sentinels have to destroy one of the character cards if this Diversion comes out and they have nothing else in play?

Powerhound_2000

Nope, it just means they can't put any of their stuff out.  

SandyStriker

But it helps for the player with most cards in play must destroy a card. Sentinels can act as a shield not destroying anything while fixer gets completely setup.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Also the Sentinels can manage quite happily with one shots and their base power(s)

AlexxKay

Why can't/don't The Sentinels have to destroy one of their Hero cards when "Explosion" is in play?  Hero Character cards aren't immune to destruction effects, are they?

Ameena
Ameena's picture

I think it specifies destroying a non-character card. Otherwise that card would insta-kill someone every time it activated ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000

"Explosion" in the Lab reads like this

Quote:

At the end of the Villain turn, each Player with 3 or more cards in play must destroy 1 of their cards.
At the start of the Villain turn, 1 Hero may discard their hand to destroy this card.

So unless there is ruling elsewhere that I have to assume they could destroy any of the cards in play.  I'm not sure if destroying the setup card results in them being immediately incapped. 

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

We have this:

Any cards that let a hero “destroy one of their cards” may not allow the hero to destroy their character card.

It's in the fireside chats.

Powerhound_2000

Should have gone through that too and that makes more sense overall.  Only looked at Spiff's FAQ

AlexxKay

Ronway wrote:

We have this:

Any cards that let a hero “destroy one of their cards” may not allow the hero to destroy their character card.

It's in the fireside chats.

Thanks!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I'm not sure if destroying the setup card results in them being immediately incapped. 

*Is* there any way to destroy the Sentinels' setup card?
Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Not currently, nor do I think there ever will be.