Heartbreaker and Equity Kill the Sentinels Universe

176 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Blue-Eyed Bard
The Blue-Eyed Bard's picture

Hey, if Christopher says La Capitan is going to show up at The Wretched Hive for some grog, who am I to argue? I'm all for bigger-than-bit-parts for our better halves. I'm actually more excited to have something like this going on.

• Kismet just laughing in the background the entire time the two of them are discussing Setback.
  • La Capitan portaling out, then walking back into the door looking like an absolute wreck, time and again throughout the Southwest Sentinels episode. "Nope. Next suggestion?"
  • Highbrow ordering a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat.

So, let me point you fine folks back to the Google Doc and suggest that anyone interested in some role or part in particular list your name and interest at the top of the document.

At the moment, I'm trying to avoid a case of Too Many Cooks, even as I absolutely welcome constructive encouragement and suggestions.

I'll hopefully be finalizing the aforementioned casting script for Equity at some point today, and recording a rough run of the whole thing.

Thanks for the concern, @Jeysie. I’m doing what I can to rest and recover, but it’s definitely not an experience I’d recommend anyone else try at home.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I definetly approve of La Capitain coming in and out trying the various plans during an episode about the Sentinels. That has some good comedy in it.

And, thinking of Becky...

We know that she and Heartbreaker in are For Profit together in the Tactics timeline. If this happens closer to the time of Oblivaeon (me, pushing an agenda, nah) then it is entirely possible that she and Heartbreaker meet during the course of this. Like, HEartbreaker runs into her at a hospital while on the job and he takes her out on a date because he thinks she's not only cute but also hilarious. A bit of a bombshell...

and this is why I should not be trusted with humor.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

You will have an eager listener in me when you release this project for public listening. :)

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

And, thinking of Becky... We know that she and Heartbreaker in are For Profit together in the Tactics timeline. If this happens closer to the time of Oblivaeon (me, pushing an agenda, nah) then it is entirely possible that she and Heartbreaker meet during the course of this. Like, HEartbreaker runs into her at a hospital while on the job and he takes her out on a date because he thinks she's not only cute but also hilarious. A bit of a bombshell... and this is why I should not be trusted with humor.

I like the way you think. (And tell jokes.)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Blue-Eyed Bard

So, those of you interested in this, what are you most hoping for with regards to the tone?

Dark?
Light-hearted?
Funny?
Serious?

The casting script for Equity turned out to be a bit less ‘wakka wakka’ and a bit more ‘two guys who kill people for money talking about killing people’. I’m not saying it’s gratuitously dark and gritty, but I want to make sure I’m going in a direction that most folks would gravitate toward.

So, let’s try this. Where would you like to see this fall on these two scales? I’ll adjust what I have so far accordingly. Right now, Equity test script notwithstanding, I'd like to go for a balance between each, myself. Some dark humor, some ridiculous levity, some underlying sobriety between two guys starting to understand their world's on the brink...you know, fun stuff. For the kids.

Dark      |----------| Light-hearted

Serious |----------| Funny

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I'm the sort of person where one of my default humor settings is "dark/morbid humor" and the other is "dry and straight-faced", so admittedly my reaction to these two scales is "both at once".

(Like as an example I remember making a comment recently in Twitch about letting Human Shield get nixed because Mainstay was incapped with a joke of "I can picture just going ahead and using Mainstay's unconscious body as a shield for everyone".)

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

When Christopher and Adam brought this idea up the “Almost Got ‘Im” episode from Batman the Animated Series came to mind for me https://youtu.be/cLEQhmr6Qtg

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Jeysie wrote:

I'm the sort of person where one of my default humor settings is "dark/morbid humor" and the other is "dry and straight-faced", so admittedly my reaction to these two scales is "both at once".(Like as an example I remember making a comment recently in Twitch about letting Human Shield get nixed because Mainstay was incapped with a joke of "I can picture just going ahead and using Mainstay's unconscious body as a shield for everyone".)

That makes me think of the pile of dead bards from Dorkness Rising

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

Actually, I've always gotten Strax, the murderous potato from Doctor Who in my head whenver Becky comes up, but with a valley girl type speach patterns

Becky: Hey Heartbreaker, Equity invited me but then never showed, he said you might want some Grenades for your next hit

HB: Grenades?

Becky: Totally.... well... he may have said "ideas" but...

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

When Christopher and Adam brought this idea up the “Almost Got ‘Im” episode from Batman the Animated Series came to mind for me https://youtu.be/cLEQhmr6Qtg

You're not the only one thinking along those lines. This also allows a bit of chronal wiggle-room with the when of each story. I want a bit of that, with occasional callbacks to past episodes if this runs for a while.

HB: Yeah. Turns out Haka’s weakness isn’t music from those singing fish things you buy from TV.
E: My god. You thought I was serious.
HB: Hey, how’d the pork rinds approach go with Unity, hm?
E: …shut up.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

I have this weird yen to play Becky Blast as a one-time thing. I imagine an overly-excited dissonantly adorable valley girl type whose every suggestion is some variation on "blow things up" and talking about how pretty explosions are.

Minus the "Valley" part and the "girl" part, this is how I've been described in the past, only I lean more towards arson than explosives as a potential solution to all problems.  (It's easier to control a burn than an explosion).

I would totally be interested in maybe voicing a small part, be it a guest or just a one-time bit part (like a drunken bystander pestering Equity until he gets turned into an "object lesson" on why manners are important).

Edit: And I side with Jeysie on the sliding scale positions, for the same reasons.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I think the show should be a mix of all four types. I feel like I'd get the most kick out of equity's dry, deadpan responses to heartbreakers more crazy stuff.

"The thing Lizalfos and deku scrubs have in common is that they're both very flammable." -Epicstorm (Zelda universe forums)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I think middle of the road sounds good, keep it on a balance. Not to say you can't change it as the episodes need, really.

Sorry, I'm not too helpful on this one, am I?

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Every contribution is helpful, Phantom5613. It's just as valueable to say "Humor is needed" or "Grounding is needed" as it is to say "I would enjoy a balance between levity and seriousness." Don't devalue your input.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

[...] like a drunken bystander pestering Equity until he gets turned into an "object lesson" on why manners are important

It's worth noting: Heartbreaker kills because he enjoys the challenge and the mayhem. Equity only kills for money. He won't lift a finger for free.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting;
but never hit soft."
          - Theodore Roosevelt

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Alright, well...nerves be damned, here we go. My Heartbreaker part of the Equity casting script is finished. It and the script will be available in this shared folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-UgIw3zhOg3QjNJcmZwMUU4bFk?usp=sharing

Anyone who is interested in the part can listen to the audio file as they record their own lines, then send their part to . I’ll do a bit of clipping, trimming, and fitting to see how well each goes with what’s already there. And yes, I plan to work on the voice a bit, so don’t be too brutal! ^_^;

The script isn’t set in stone, either. Don’t be afraid to take your time and try a few different recordings with some improvisation thrown in there. Have some fun with it. That’s what this is about, after all – a podcast built on fun, not on polished professionalism!

(Just keep telling yourself that…)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

The Blue-Eyed Bard wrote:

I'm also saying mixes, for most of the same reasons, but a few things to discuss with these scales.

As much as "this is serious" could be there, I doubt this is going to head that direction. Heartbreaker is too much of a wildcard and the entire interaction between them is shapping up to be humorous. And, we aren't doing drama, the most serious this will get is when we drop the curtain and remind people that these two guys are actual murderers... but I think we're edging humorous the entire way. Keep it grounded to a degree sure, but when I think serious two guys in a bar talking about hypotheticals is rarely high on the list.

Flipping to the other chart, we know these two are murderers. There is almost no way to avoid dark humor or gallows humor, it is almost the entire point. This will rarely get to the "manic unicorn" side of humor, and it shouldn't I don't think. These guys are dark personalities, we should seek balance obviously because if it is too dark too long it becomes boring, but things are going to tend dark just because of the characters and the scenario. No real helping that, just seeking breaks and valleys so it doesn't become monotomous.

Ehkrickor wrote:
Becky: Hey Heartbreaker, Equity invited me but then never showed, he said you might want some Grenades for your next hit

HB: Grenades?

Becky: Totally.... well... he may have said "ideas" but...

Glorious, simply glorious

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Christopher wrote:

[...] like a drunken bystander pestering Equity until he gets turned into an "object lesson" on why manners are important

It's worth noting: Heartbreaker kills because he enjoys the challenge and the mayhem. Equity only kills for money. He won't lift a finger for free.

"Hey, Two-Tone. Yer fanboy's killin' my buzz. Here's a fifty - balance that scale for me or somethin'."

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Also, yes, the later scripts actually will have something to do with the topic of the podcast. I didn't want to spoil any ideas with the casting script. ;)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I realize this is WAY easier for me to write in concept than it would be for anyone to execute, but I feel like the sweet spot for this project is the one where Heartbreaker and Equity *think* their podcast is dark/serious, but it's actually light-hearted/funny.

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Trajector wrote:

I realize this is WAY easier for me to write in concept than it would be for anyone to execute, but I feel like the sweet spot for this project is the one where Heartbreaker and Equity *think* their podcast is dark/serious, but it's actually light-hearted/funny.

"Bulk and Skull Kill the Sentinels Universe"

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Christopher wrote:

<Equity> *sighs* Heartbreaker, I'll charge you a dollar so I can slap this man.
<Heartbreaker> *fishing through his pockets* Yeah, all right.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

That's ... impressive self-control.  Some drunks can be really annoying and persistent.  (I talk a lot sober.  Drunk, I turn talking alot into a superpower). He won't even knock him unconscious for personal reasons?

Edit: that said, I can see either the Bard or mwc's scenarios, if that's the case.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

He never said he wouldn't beat someone up for personal reasons. But he's not a chaotic evil murder hobo, like Heartbreaker. Killing is a JOB.

You wouldn't expect an accountant to file your taxes for free, but they'll still use math in appropriate circumstances, because it's a skill that they have.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Blackfang108
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

He never said he wouldn't beat someone up for personal reasons. But he's not a chaotic evil murder hobo, like Heartbreaker. Killing is a JOB.

You wouldn't expect an accountant to file your taxes for free, but they'll still use math in appropriate circumstances, because it's a skill that they have.

That's my general assumption (though, I don't think it's possible to go a whole day without using at least some math.) and what I was going for, which is why I figured I'd see if Christopher would like to clarify our understanding.

The Blue-Eyed Bard

So, is it safe to conclude that my voice acting was so bad that everyone lost interest and this project is now officially dead? ^_^;

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Not so! I quite like the example you have recorded up and such, I just don't have much to contribute in the ways of making a podcast.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

When I'm not sick, I'll try and record for Equity. :D

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I got busy and haven't had time to listen, plus there is no way I'll try voice acting anyways. Far too much pressure, I'd rather help with the writing and editing side of things.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

I'm going to a wedding over the weekend and studying for exams, but should be able to record something mid-next-week. I really like how this whole thing is shaping up!

The Blue-Eyed Bard

liarliar wrote:

I'm going to a wedding over the weekend and studying for exams, but should be able to record something mid-next-week. I really like how this whole thing is shaping up!

I can't help but suspect that you're lying...

That said, thanks for the reaffirmation, everyone. I was only like...35% serious about the self-deprecation. Maybe 40%...

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I mean I could try out for the two leads, but I'm guessing this isn't the Swaptober verse. ;)

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:
I mean I could try out for the two leads, but I'm guessing this isn't the Swaptober verse. ;)

It is by no means my podcast (I'm not even auditioning since I don't have time to commit to a podcast... though I will certainly be an initial listener!), but since people have already suggested that the podcast be from a "near universe" to the one from SOTM, why couldn't one of the differences between the "primary reality" and the HEKSU one be that Heartbreaker or Equity is a lady?

Also, Christopher did suggest that there could be a recurring female role (even if not H or E).  So use the audition to showcase your talents, and maybe that'll give Bard some inspiration for a different role you could fill.

The Blue-Eyed Bard

dprcooke wrote:

Jeysie wrote:

It is by no means my podcast (I'm not even auditioning since I don't have time to commit to a podcast... though I will certainly be an initial listener!), but since people have already suggested that the podcast be from a "near universe" to the one from SOTM, why couldn't one of the differences between the "primary reality" and the HEKSU one be that Heartbreaker or Equity is a lady? Also, Christopher did suggest that there could be a recurring female role (even if not H or E).  So use the audition to showcase your talents, and maybe that'll give Bard some inspiration for a different role you could fill.

Exactly. Everyone loves cameos. Settle on who you'd like to be, and I'll see what I can do about accommodating. :)

Blackfang108
Playtester

So, is it safe to conclude that my voice acting was so bad that everyone lost interest and this project is now officially dead? ^_^;

I can't do anything other than the forums on my work computer (dropbox/etc are all disabled) and i've spent... 20 minutes at home while awake over the last few days.

Definitely still interested.

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

I think you're wrong there. I LOVED it. I can't wait for this to be a real thing. Maybe a slight suggestion, leave a little more time for Equity to talk? I imagine you're leaving enough time to read it semi-slowly, then picking back up, but I've learned that people read faster than they talk. I'm not going to audition, but just picked up on that while listening. I really love this thing, though. You're teasing this about as well as >G is teasing the RPG. I can't wait for it. Your voice acting tripled my interest in this. Keep it up!

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Lord Flash Fire wrote:

I think you're wrong there. I LOVED it. I can't wait for this to be a real thing. Maybe a slight suggestion, leave a little more time for Equity to talk? I imagine you're leaving enough time to read it semi-slowly, then picking back up, but I've learned that people read faster than they talk. I'm not going to audition, but just picked up on that while listening. I really love this thing, though. You're teasing this about as well as >G is teasing the RPG. I can't wait for it. Your voice acting tripled my interest in this. Keep it up!

Well, shucks. Thanks, Fire. You're going to give me a complex. And maybe even an ego.

The spaces aren't to be filled precisely by the applicant; I’ll fine-tune all that in post. It’s just to show areas where Equity’s lines will be made to fit, really. They can even pause HB’s lines to take more time for their own, if need be. It’s really just about showing reaction to what’s being spoken. The downside to this method is that there’s no reaction on my part. For now, I can just say that HB’s going to keep rolling ahead, regardless of how his monotone companion reacts, but I’m definitely going to make things more dynamic with the main series, itself.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I have recorded me doing Equity's lines.  It's a .wma file. How can I get it to you?

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Donner wrote:

I have recorded me doing Equity's lines.  It's a .wma file. How can I get it to you?

Go ahead and send it to . I'll try to find time to listen to it over the weekend.

Thanks, and congrats for being the first submission!!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Sorry, I've been a little bit busy. If you don't mind waiting, I will try to do something next week.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

The Blue-Eyed Bard

I don't mind waiting. Life gets busy, and we're not in a huge rush with this. So far I've had one submission, and this didn't have enough time this weekend to even listen to it. I'll consider some kind of deadline, just to see if it helps motivate, though.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

While I was mostly joking with my comment (namely, to say why I hadn't spoken up), I do rather like the idea of doing a reading just for range for later parts, so I've been going over the script trying out voices for both sides. But I need to see if my headset is up to the task at least for now; I feel a bit annoyed because I could swear I had an actual microphone at some point but I can't find it. Guess I can always invest in a new one. Also life has been kinda sucky for me lately, which also meant not getting to do much.

I will say that even though you seem to want people to read for Equity, the current script reads to me a lot more like a Heartbreaker showcase. I found it easy to get into HB's character but Equity's dialogue felt a bit sparse for the task.

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Jeysie wrote:

While I was mostly joking with my comment (namely, to say why I hadn't spoken up), I do rather like the idea of doing a reading just for range for later parts, so I've been going over the script trying out voices for both sides. But I need to see if my headset is up to the task at least for now; I feel a bit annoyed because I could swear I had an actual microphone at some point but I can't find it. Guess I can always invest in a new one. Also life has been kinda sucky for me lately, which also meant not getting to do much.I will say that even though you seem to want people to read for Equity, the current script reads to me a lot more like a Heartbreaker showcase. I found it easy to get into HB's character but Equity's dialogue felt a bit sparse for the task.

I'm almost certainly to blame for that. HB's more bombastic, more apt to steal the spotlight, whereas Equity's not only more subtle, but rather content to let HB carry on like the swaggercock he is. The challenge for me is going to be making Equity as enjoyable to listen to as HB has the potential to be.

Fortunately, I can do scathing and sardonic rather well, and have high hopes for where Equity will go with this. A bit part of this test script, though, was not just tonal reaction to HB's lines, but improvisation and the speaker's ability to make the role their own.

The Blue-Eyed Bard

The deadline for Equity tryouts will be Friday, November 17th. Afterward, anyone who was hoping to voice a character in this will be able to step forward for cameo or recurring roles. Suggestions and scripts for episodes are always welcome, and the more we have participating, the more variety and diversity I think we’ll all be able to enjoy.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

The deadline for Equity tryouts will be Friday, November 17th. Afterward, anyone who was hoping to voice a character in this will be able to step forward for cameo or recurring roles. Suggestions and scripts for episodes are always welcome, and the more we have participating, the more variety and diversity I think we’ll all be able to enjoy.

but when is the deadline for deadline tryouts. *rimshot* of course I'm kidding. Probably.

"The thing Lizalfos and deku scrubs have in common is that they're both very flammable." -Epicstorm (Zelda universe forums)

Blackfang108
Playtester

It's like, I'd like to give it a shot, but that requires me to record, and THAT requires me having a microphone, and I do not have that.

I'll be near a Best Buy on Sunday, though, so who knows?

The Blue-Eyed Bard

Amazon's bound to have a few at a decent price, too.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Amazon's bound to have a few at a decent price, too.

They do, but then option paralysis sets in. 
The Blue-Eyed Bard

I can empathize. I'm using a Blue Snowball myself, but those things go for $50-70, a not-insignificant investment.

Have any friends you can borrow one from?

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I own a microphone but my voice is too young and high to possibly be any character from the multiverse.

Pages