GM Villains: Who will your players be Fighting?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture
GM Villains: Who will your players be Fighting?

For those of us stuck in eternal GM limbo, what villains are you excited to use when the RPG releases. There are a Glut of interresting villains already in Sentinels, what villain are you most excited to see your players confront?  Who are some villains of your own that you're excited to add to the Multiverse?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

There is only one correct answer here.

And that answer?

The Hippo.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture

Hmm... I want to see what else Baron Blade is cooking up before I go back to this, and it would have to wait until after a few sessions in, but I may see about creating a new Vengeful Five. Not using the old members of course, but with villains more around the powerlevel of new PCs that the players have offended in the past.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

If I end up running, and if I have a hero associated with Argent Adept, I know exactly what I'm going to do.

Xu (of Xu's bell) isn't dead.  Nor can she die.  While her physical essence has faded, her role as a Virtuoso of the Void forever ties her to both the material world and to the Nexus of the Void.  And, because Anthony Drake destroyed her bell during the Voss invasion, she can no longer manifest as a true Void-Spirit or provide counsel to the other Virtuosos.  She has been stripped of her one true purpose and denied the sweet release of death.

Now, as an enervated Void-Wraith, The Undying Husk seeks vengeance upon the Argent Adept and any who would dare defile the relics of the past. Her songs are dirges, broken and dissonant; her chants bring ear-splitting pain and misery.  And the horrible silence from her broken bell?  The sound of heartbreak.

Her first victims, of course?  The Akash-Flora tree in Megalopolis and its red-haired caretaker...

Jeysie

@PlatinumWarlock You are evil and I approve and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Jeysie wrote:

@PlatinumWarlock You are evil and I approve and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

You'd be surprised by some of the stuff I've written. ;)

I reworked Flying Polyps in Cubicle 7's "The Laundry" rpg into semi-sentient flying metastatized cancer, created by a rogue South African geneticists into a weapon of intimidation for the Sicilian Camorra.

Then, there's some of the stuff in Cold Steel Wardens, like Mister Kisses, the Maggot Man, and Rotten Johnny...

My brain's not a nice place to be sometimes. :P

Jeysie

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

My brain's not a nice place to be sometimes. :P

I have a morbid sense of humor and equally morbid tastes, so I'm more impressed than fazed.

(For real, though, poor Xu's fate already seemed like one of those "that seems like an awfully big matter to just drop, really..." things, so I love your twist on it.)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

There is only one correct answer here.And that answer?The Hippo.

Truth.

My Hippo (spoilers avoided but hinted at) was messed up mentally by being on the edge of the Rook City stuff during OblivAeon.  He's a bit Joker-esque crazy now.

He grabs control of some small street gangs and goes old school mob, bringing a form of stability and order to people living in the chaotic aftermath of the sections of Rook City that were destroyed.  He's clearly a villain, and not fully sane, but he is helping the peiple there more than the good guys are.

I think that would make a great start, and let you branch off in any number of directions depending on what the heroes want to do, but mostly setting up for finding out that what happened in Rook City, along with what was already there, has been giving people powers that are dangerous and unstable, and that instead of getting help, they are being used and covered up.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Most of the people I will play the RPG with wont have an extensive Sentinel's knowledge, and I prefer the personal touch, so for me it will be challenges (and not neccessarily peoples) tailored to the heroes. Also, I want to see what kind of experience we are getting in the Sentinels RPG before I let my imagination run wild, so I guesss my answer is "No one knows yet".

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

The freedom five. Or atlease that is what it will seems. Plan on pumping them up and having someone around them point our how much hard they are doing to the normals. Going to leave alot of sugestive red hearing blaming them. 

This is happing in a game i am running but would like to have it a thing form the start.

I am running a game where the Villan was being tortured for info and said that the Good guys where behind it. They took the lie and ran with it. Didn't double check or anything. Left the body of the they person they tortured dead with the engraving "we Know". So now I get to decided where it is true or not and just been asking alot of question that mean nothing unless you want them too. "You guys talk about that guy, who you know works with the "Good guys"", That gift you gotten form them, do you have it on your person? Are you guys making plans in a secret location. On of them shows up all buddy buddy asking about your last mission in detail. 

Man I am loving it, not sure if they are going to b right or Biomancer clones.

But if that doesn't work, I normaly toss a minor event to get them togethere, see how they play then set enemies based on thier back stories/ power and what would be interesting. 

"A stranger is a friend you havn't meet yet." - Star

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I've got a few things percolating.

Highbrow and Revenant are wonderful for "distant mastermind" mechanations and Revenant's villian tech enterprises make for a wonderful set of circumstances for my new city.

One of his first customers is going to be a gang of bank robbers who get out of date, probably dangerously experimental, super suits to do their crimes. I'm hoping at least the boss of that gang is going to stick around as a consistent thorn in the side of the heroes.

I'm also toying with the idea of making Red from the Kate Daniels series, which is sure to be a super fun time if anyone is a fan of that series and remembers the kid I'm talking about. Aw, what the heck, he was a street kid living in a dangerous area of the city. KAte Daniels books are all about the mix of magic and modern day. Red has ancient blood from the Celtic lands, and makes a deal with an old goddess. He tries to sacrifice a young girl to gain the power he needed to survive, but Kate stops him and instead he goes with the goddess, probably to a terrible fate but he's never shown up again. This would be, what if he succeeded?

My final "villain" stems from my recent forays into LITRPG books and living Dungeons, and she is a technological "Living Dungeon" who controls a different one of the destroyed cities. She's dangerous in the way children are dangerous to their toys. She's an AI playing a game, but doesn't realize no one else is playing by the rules she was given. I figure the PCs will quickly make her an ally, but it could be fun having a Danger Room/Dungeon as a location in the game.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

CITIZEN DAWN.

I mean, probably not first, because she's terrifying. But I think she'd make a great final boss, in the absence of anything player-created (or, like, a good foil to the team).

Given the right characters, I'd enjoy throwing in some Don't Rest Your Head-style weird nightmare monsters from the Realm of Discord. Things that slip in and out of reality like the Lady in Lilac, or that the heroes hear whispering along behind them and stalking them down a dark alleyway. The more scary I can make the villains, the more amazing the players will feel in victory!