Fantasy Forum Fun, or that game from the three spells thread.

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

All characters can speak human.  Whether they do or not is up to the player, except in the case of Silverleaf, whose Pony can speak human, but it would violate the pony code.

Jessico can speak Cat and Human.  It is up to you if he chooses to reveal that or keep it hidden.  Cats don't do rules, they just do what they choose.

Kwee speaks everything, but Ameena has her unaware of the ability, she just doesn't understand that there are different languages, and everyone hears her speaking their language.  Prince Booker thinks she speaks human, Jessico thinks she speaks cat, Pony thinks she speaks Pony, and the Dragon will hear her speak Dragon (The Dragon might figure out something is strange with that)  Kwee hears everyone speak, and speaks in return.

I'm now very interested in where this story is going.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

(Are we actually hearing Kwee in our native launguage or do we hear chipping but are somehow able to decifer it somehow?)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

(Despite how entertaining this is I might have to stop reading, I have an uncontrollable urge to scratch when I do!)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Whiskey landed at the stable and did not like what he saw.

Nothing. The stable was completley empty. Whiskey, who had worked up a rather sizable appetite on his flight there, was getting a little impatient. Nothing was going his way at the moment. Not only was the itching grating on his already usually grumpy demeanor, but the stolen artifact from 8703Y Division A4, sub-division TT5 of his treasure room had him on edge. And now, to top it all off, that large grey horse that Whiskey had been eyeing for weeks has vanished and there was not even a consolation prize for him to munch on.

He started pacing anxiously, quickly gaining speed until it culminated in a deafening roar that took the form of a large fireball that smashed into the stable, setting the wooden structure ablaze. 

Whiskey stook in silence for a few seconds looking at what he had done. *Snort* "Ok, I feel slightly better. Needed to get that one out of my chest."

But in Whiskey's rash action, he ended up burning the only mop into oblivion. "I do NOT want my treasure room to be pink. I HATE pink! How am I supposed to become a Legendary dragon and strike fear into the hearts of adventurers if my lair looks like a human suckling station?"

Without a clean Lair, Whiskey has no chance at finding clues to his lost treasure. He needs that mop. And food. Possibly a drink. Whiskey knows of a village not far from this location known for its potent Ale's. Whiskey loves Ale (in fact, ales and liquors were the secret to how he was able to attain such a hot Fire Core at such a young age). He takes some time to rub his back against the only nearby tree that's not a smoldering pile of ash. Just as he is about to lift off back into the sky, he notices something that gives him pause. Tracks. Horse tracks to be precise, and large ones at that. They were headed in the same direction as the village.

*Sniff* *Sniff* *Sniiifffffffff*

"Smells like....royalty..."

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Matchstickman wrote:

(Despite how entertaining this is I might have to stop reading, I have an uncontrollable urge to scratch when I do!)

(You're just jealous there is a Ronway forest and not a Matchstick forest.)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

[OOC: I reckon Rowan hears Kwee speak Human when she's talking to the Prince (since he can't understand Pony it's be weird if Rowan thought Kwee spoke Pony to him), but in a very twittery kind of way, like with a heavy Bird accent. And I think that Pony and Horse are dialects of the same language although it can be very difficult for a pony and a horse to understand each other, a bit like someone with a broad Glaswegian accent trying to explain to a South African where the railway station is.

Edit: There could be even more weirdness here - what happens if Kwee talks to both Whiskey and Jessico at the same time, for example?

Edit 2: Rowan's been very careful about pretending not to speak or understand Human. It would be a very bad idea to reveal that to anyone. She responds to the usual human-to-horse commands and such, as well as body language, tone of voice, etc. She just gives the impression of being a very smart pony.]

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Jessico had no idea what the prince and Kwee were looking at - it was dark, and distant, and the prince's ungainly body was blocking his line of sight - but his keen ears couldn't fail to hear Booker's words, nor the tone of horror with which he spoke them. He had to get closer, to see this new development. Straight towards it was not an option, if he wanted to remain hidden. Up, on the other hand...

-----

The cat crouched on a tree branch was having great difficulty comprehending what he was looking at. This was a human who had, it seemed, attacked himself. He would have had to be a madman, a man possessed, but even then... It just seemed an insane, incomprehensible thing to there was a robin watching him. It was sitting on the tapering branch of another nearby tree, eyeing Jessico with almost a hint of smugness.

This would not stand.

Jessico pounced. He had often wished that he could watch himself attack, see himself leaping through the air. He could imagine it, just about, the lithe grace with which he moved, muscle and sinew encased in fur, but it just wasn't the same. He envied the world their view of him, but then, they didn't get to be him, and that was the greatest joy of all. The little bird saw him, took flight, but the claws of Jessico Von Whisker found him, plucked him out of the sky.

What he had not considered was the size of the brance on which the robin had perched; it was really very thin. Jessico hit it, it snapped, and the cat plunged downwards with considerably less grace (and one more dead bird) than he's possessed a moment ago.

On the bright side, he observed, it at least looks like the horse is going to break my fall.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

(This is how I see Kwee's linguistic abilities - anyone who hears her speak, regardless of whom she's speaking to, hears her speaking in their own language, with a sort of high-pitched, childlike voice. She herself hears everyone speak in her language. She doesn't think anything of this, because it's something she's always been able to do so has never thought of it as unusual.)

As the night-coloured horse moves off with Booker on his back, Kwee takes off and flies alongside, preferring to avoid the bumps and jolts she'd get were she to stay on Booker's shoulder. She flits along roughly level with Booker's head, occasionally performing some mild aerial acrobatics as she encounters the occasional small gust of wind. She isn't really sure what Booker is talking about when he says that something seems wrong, but when he stops the horse and goes to look at something lying on the ground, she alights on a nearby fence post and peers down at whatever's making Booker so agitated. Then she sees what it is.

"Blood? Blood!" she quavers, suddenly nervous. "What do you think did it? Was it something with big teeth? Maybe it's something that might try to eat us! Maybe it started eating this one and then we distracted it!"

She starts hopping anxiously from side to side.

"I think we'd better go. Shall we go? I think we should go."

She's peering all around when suddenly she hears the sond of a tree branch snapping, somewhere above her head. She looks upward, just in time to see...something...plummeting out of a nearby tree toward them.

"EEEEeeeee!" she squeals, launching herself into the air away from the falling shadow.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Continuing his investigation of the body, Booker scratched at his face. For some reason, he couldn't stop scratching himself, as if his whole body itched. This was odd. Dismissing it, he checked the man's bloodied hands. Inspecting his fingers, he found something under the man's nails. It looked like...

"EEEEeeeee!"

"Kwee, what are you--"

Booker's thought was cut mid-sentence as a cat fell straight onto Malcolm's head, at which point, Malcolm decided to lose his calm and begin bucking wildly. Booker took steps away from Malcolm, yelling at his horse to calm down. Of course, Malcolm did not obey. Instead, he took off into the Ronway Forest, throwing the cat to the ground a few meters away from Booker.

"Well, great. There goes my transportation."

You're free to do whatever you want to.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Jessico landed on his feet, as always. Following a quick scratch behind the ear - oh, that felt good - he sauntered towards the prince and his bird.

"I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest." Cats can't really shrug, but Jessico seemed to here. "I get the feeling something better will come along, given a littl time."

-Reckless

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Kwee is flying in agitated circles some distance above Booker's head.

"It's a cat. A cat! A cat might want to eat me! Don't eat me, cat!"

I am the Wordweaver...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

"move quick, move quick" Thought Gnarl to himself.  He was a simple and small lizard but he could stay on task, and he had to get back.  The stone in his mouth tasted pretty.  A little bit warm too.  Gnarl liked these stones, they felt nice to carry.  The one from the dragon cave had been nice, but this one was nice too.

"move quick, move quick" he continued.  Color man would be happy, let him sleep on nice rocks maybe.  Gnarl like that.  Gnarl wanted to sleep, but wanted make color man happy more.  Color man make the bad things itch.  Dog itch, the tall things with too many feet itch, the human that catch Gnarl too.  Even Dragon itch.  They all itch and Gnarl safe.  Gnarl like safe.  Gnarl not dinner.  Dinner make Gnarl sad.  Nice Rocks and Color man make Gnarl happy.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

[Cough cough, been a while since we've been doing this, no?]

Scratch. Scratch. Scratch. 

"Settle down, Kwee. I won't let this beast get near you. You hear that, feline? Stay away from this bird. You've already caused enough trouble. Making me lose Malcolm. I suppose I have to walk, now? A prince does not walk. He rides."

Scratch. Scratch. Scra--Ouch.

Pulling his hand away from just to the side of his right eye, Booker felt moisture on his fingertips. Sweat? No. His own blood. Pondering for half a moment, his eyes fell passed his fingers, to the soldier on the ground.

Oh. Well it seems I've got a bit of a problem.

"Kwee, we need to move. Now. Cat, you... do as you please. Do not get your hair on my clothes."

Picking up his stride down the road, a panic inside the prince began to grow. Taking the road meant a very long walk to the village. There had to be a shorter way.

There was.

Cutting diagonally through the Ronway forest. At night. With monsters on the prowl.

Fearing the strange scratching madness creeping in the back of his mind, he knew he had no choice.

"Care for a... stroll through the woods, Kwee?"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The Great West Woods had several names, The Deep Dark Woods, The Forest of Night, one group of Faries insisted its name was Sven.  But one thing everyone agreed upon, you did not go in the woods at night.

I mean, just listen to the noises, growls and bubbling and gurgling and screeching.  It was obvious horrible things were eating each other in there.

And besides, no one went in the forest at night. (Except for Ralph the Butcher, he had a fight with the wife and went into the woods, never to be seen again)

I mean no one saw him go into the woods, but no one saw him do anything else either, so it is pretty obvious what happened.

You'd have to be pretty stupid, or maybe really really itchy before you would risk the woods.

That didn't mean Gnarl was afraid, he'd gone through the woods a lot, he liked them; they were dark and spooky and he was low and hard to see.  He didn't even smell tasty.  He knew what to avoid too, like the Faries playing transmorph tag, and the Fashion Witches, if they caught you you'd be trying on dresses all night.  The Troll cooks were the worst, making you to taste their fried carrion and Toad snot stew, and asking if it needed more salt or snot or maybe some more muck.

He was extra happy today though, he scurrid right through the Troll Kitchen and laughed when they started itching.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Jessico snorted. "You are kidding, aren't you, human?" He gave the spot behind his ear a quick scratch before remembering that he was in the middle of talking to someone. "Err, excuse me. Anyway, you know as well as I that walking through the Ronway forest - at night no less - is essentially suicide. You're not going to tell me you've never heard of the hoolichees, are you? Or the gribblesmark, or the red sailors, or the Tree Kraken that feasts on dim-witted birds?" Jessico winked at Kwee, smiling savagely. "These are not fictions, human, they're things waiting to eat you, to tear you limb from limb. So the best thing for you to do is to wait here. Something will be along very, very shortly."

-Reckless

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Still nervous, Kwee alights in a nearby tree and starts hopping anxiously from foot to foot.

"I like forests," she says, "but not that forest. There are...things there. Things that might want to eat me! And...lots of weird things. And...and..."

Kwee looks down at the cat, wondering about his statement that "something will be along very, very shortly", and takes off again, flitting high into the air and getting a good look at the surrounding area to see whether or not the cat is joking about something being on its way.

I am the Wordweaver...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Gnarl stopped, gently put down the stone and tasted the air again.

"Fur and pounce, sharp teeth.  Gnarl no like that."

Gnarl looked up, you never knew where that furry pouncy thing might be.  He didn't see Jessico though, he did see a flash of color go up into a tree, right by where he wanted to leave the woods.

"Tweet Tweet no find me, Gnarl clever and hard to see."

Even a creature with incredibly good eyesight wouldn't be able to find that lizard in this woods in the middle of the night.

"Tricky Gnarl go other way silly feathers."

Gnarl picked up the stone, and the moon shone off it for a brief second, shining a multitude of shades of yellows, oranges and pink, like a tiny sunrise in the forest night.  Gnarl didn't noice, he was busy heading back into the woods chuckling to himself.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Kwee notices something colourful shine for a brief moment.

"Ooh, what's that?" she asks, momentarily forgetting her nervousness. "Colours! Pretty colours!"

She flits a bit closer to it but hover where she is and looks back to see if Booker is going to follow.

I am the Wordweaver...

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

"Kwee, stop it! Now is not the time to be chasing after shiny things! Not into the forest!"

Brandishing his sword, Booker dashed into the woods after Kwee. Passing through the threshold of trees into the forest, something unnerved the prince. The whole air of the forest was dense. He could literally feel the danger. But being a prince meant he was brave. So on he went, into the forest.

"Seriously, Kwee, what are you doing? Slow down!"

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

OOC - Kwee didn't fly off alone - she stopped to wait for you!

I am the Wordweaver...

Pages