Episode 116 of the Letters Page: Shear Force!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Episode 116 of the Letters Page: Shear Force!

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Edited by: Rabit on Jul 10 2019 - 5:53am
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

As if I didn't already know, this delightful episode proves that Christopher and Adam are my people. :D

You kids today with your cartoons that have "good writing" and "strong characters" and "continuity that makes sense", you don't know what it was like back in the 80s. You don't know!

Geez. I want an entire Shear Force supplement for something. Also a Maneater. XD

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Missed opportunity for a joke: "I'm not friends with my Transformers friend anymore...he's a different person these days."

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

And I just got to the discussion of (R) and TM and (C)...as expected, here's the write in. You are a little off base, but only a little.

The off-base bit: One doesn't need to have even applied for a trademark registration to use TM. TM just means one is claiming the words/symbol/whatever as a trademark. (One can claim and have a trademark without registering it.) So you can use TM on something even without applying. It is true that the (R) means you have a registration of that mark. (And falsely claiming that can have bad consequences.)

You did get the right end result, though: in this example, SHEAR FORCE would be the name of the line, and KUDZU would be a major element's name, so both of those would likely have registrations; the Greenhouse and Noxious Thicket would be both harder to register and not necessary to do so:

SHEAR FORCE(R) Greenhouse(TM)
KUDZU(R) Noxious Thicket(TM)

(I'm a trademark attorney. But I'm not your trademark attorney. Consult your own trademark attorney for legal advice. This is just informational.)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

scifantasy wrote:
I'm a trademark attorney.

NEAT

But yeah, Shear Force as a whole is just plain awesome. I would have absolutely loved to have those as a kid. The only thing missing is transforming/combining robots for it to hit every note.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

As I recall the rough history of the '80s, after the FCC deregulated kids' TV, it was Hasbro looking to market its line of transforming/combining toys from Japan that jump-started the toy wave; I imagine that Shear Force arose as a reaction to those transforming and combining robots.