Endurance Fighting Clarification

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
catDreaming
Endurance Fighting Clarification

Hey everyone.

I've been looking into making some characters, and I wanted someone else's opinion on how the Red Zone ability Endurance Fighting works.

Endurance Fighting (Inherent) : Whenever you Attack a target with an action, also Hinder that target using your Min die.

If a hero with Endurance Fighting Attacks a target using an ability, does Endurance Fighting still trigger?

Hope someone can help me figure this out!

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

Godai
Godai's picture

Since the rule book calls them Ability Actions, I say yes. Basic Actions, and Ability Actions, are both actions. 

ddchasek
ddchasek's picture

Yeah I am pretty sure that it counts as both. Where things get really crazy is when you take Inspiring Totem from the Social red quality as well for an additional basic action on your Mid die as  an added bonus.

ErekLich

I made exactly that combo in my fan-build of Haka.  Add on that she has a green ability to hit with her Max die and it gets ridiculous.

ddchasek
ddchasek's picture

I personally think that Inspiring Totem might be the 2nd best.Red Zone ability in the base game book. Really need that defend action since you are in the red zone, but you need to overcome an environmental effect at the same time? Boom done. How about getting that boost for your teammate to finally take down that Lietenant while you mop up the rest of the minions? Cool I got this. What's this I have an ability that already lets me do a whole bunch of different actions? Cool! Even more of the actions! 

The Minion creating ones are the true 1 in my opinion. Creates more targets on the field to get in the way of bad guys, increases number of actions in a players turn, and takes pressure off of the team. Sure they are only d6 minions but it is the Mid die result of d6 minions so say we are dealing with an average die pool of d6, d8, d10 you are looking at around 3-6 extra actions a turn. That is nuts.

catDreaming

I was working on making a character who's fighting style of choice was best represented by them dealing out lots of Hinders, without applying them, and then invoking them all in a massive Finishing Blow. This lets me cut far closer to the flavor than I would have been able to otherwise.

A single man
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

Endurance Fighting triggers whenever a Hero performs and Attack action... weither it through an Ability action or a Simple action.

Furthermore, there are some Abilities that provide conditional Attack actions, such as when rolling doubles on another action.  When these conditional Attacks happen, Endurance Fighting will trigger as well.

Additionally, when a Hero uses an Ability that allows them to Attack multiple targets, then Endurance Fighting will affect all the targets of that were successfully Attacked.  In this case, the Hinder is applied to each target seperately, but is still determined by the single Min die rolled durring the Attack action.

Finally, just to be clear, Endurance Fighting, even though it is an Innate Ability, only triggers when the Hero is in the Red Zone (due to low Health or because of Scene Tracking).  Until one is in the Red Zone, it is inactive and can not be triggered, but becomes active and will always trigger when the above conditions are met once one enters the Red Zone (yes, this will sound obvious to most, but there are some who think that Innate Abilities are always active, regardless of what Zone one is in).

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.

catDreaming

I'll keep the multi-targeting aspect in mind, because that could definitely matter at some point.

As for the fact that it only triggers in the Red Zone, I'll admit that it had slipped my mind at some point. However, it still fits the flavor of the character with how their fighting style would shift in as the situation get's worse.

A single man
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

You would be surprised at how many times I forgot about the different Zones myself.  It is one of features of Sentinel Comics RPG that I find refreshingly different from other RPGs where Players have access to everything their character can do from the get go.  In those games, the effectiveness of those abilities almost never changes from when they are fresh from battle to when they are on their last leg or running out of time.

Having abilities that only work when one is warmed up, running out of health or time and such is something that isn't done often, but allows for some truly heroic feats when it really matters.  Heroes tend to be at their most heroic when they are at a disadvantage in some way... it is when they let loose with everything they got left or find the strength to do something they weren't able to do until then.  Endurance Fighting is such an ability... allowing a Hero to make every attack in such situations matter because they are now hindering their opponent's next actions.  The penalties may not be much, but even a -1 penalty can make a surprising difference... especially if a villain rolls poorly on their action.

I have even been guilty of taking different Abilities without fully realizing how they will interact because of the Zone they become available in (more often forgetting I won't be able to always access them).  Other times, I discover just how potent different actions become when combined with Abilities availalble in a different Zone... but also how risky it might be to wait until then to deliver on such combos when other available Abilities might be less effective but with a greater chance of succeeding.

In the end, Players need to take a bit more into account than just what their Abilities do... namely when those Abilities are available, how they will interact with other Abilities, and whether what is gaind by those interactions is worth the risk of waiting to be able to pull off such combos.  Sentinel Comics may have rules that are simple to grasp, but mastering them can be a bit tricky.

I still have much to learn... but I am learning quickly.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.