Daredevil (may contain spoilers?)

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
morph147
Daredevil (may contain spoilers?)

Just about to finish the last episode. Wow just wow. This is why cable tv cant compete with HBO or Netflix on good tv shows at the moment. So good. Need 2nd season soon.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Slight spoilers, yes.

My only (mild) complaint about the season was that the pacing of the finale seemed overly accelerated.  It was as though the writers said to themselves "Well...crud.  We have to get him to fully recognizable superhero status (vs. fully recognizable supervillain) before next season.  We can totally do this in one episode after we've paced out the rest of the season at a much more reasonable rate!"

morph147

That's what happens when you put an episode limit though. They should have done more episodes and not a huge gap to next marvel show

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I liked the pace at the end, that's how things go, you spend years setting up and minutes doing.

morph147

What you guys think for season 2? Should it be before or after defenders and should the villian be Fisk again

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Given the part of the Daredevil run they look to be drawing from, Fisk seems likely to be the villain again.

As for probable timings: We get aka Jessica Jones and Luke Cage next, I think in that order. Per IMDB listings, akaJJ is a December premiere, Luke Cage will be sometime next year. Netflix is pretty good about putting their new seasons for shows in the same month as the original, so Daredevil S2 will probably be late March 2016 (IMDB currently says April). Iron Fist will be at the end of the cycle for the original four, so almost certainly after Daredevil S2 (which will give them some time to elaborate on Madame Gao's "much farther away than China" comment).

Only after Iron Fist has had his own installment can we get the Defenders mini-series.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I have a feeling that Madame Gao may make an appearance in the Iron Fist show.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I think she and Foggy are my favorite characters so far.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

morph147

Fisk will probably get off the hook. Kingpin has a habit of that

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Nielzabub wrote:

I have a feeling that Madame Gao may make an appearance in the Iron Fist show.

An appearance? She will be a main character I'm sure of it.

Daredevil S2 will probably see a lot less of Fisk and delve a lot more into the "war" between the Hand (Noboo's mystical ninja clan) and the Chaste (Stick is a part of this, and it was likely the character Stone that he talked to about Murdoc, who is also part of the Chaste). They will probably switch it around in the show where Stone leads the Chaste instead of Stick, at least that's how they made it look.

morph147

That is a good route.but could be a secondary part of season 2.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I agree with everything Foote just theorized. cool

Yeah, it was well done, with a lot of threads dropped here and there for future use. I could do without the level of torture DD used, but it was still well done in context. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

That was a lot of fun!

I have read Daredevil, not all, probably not a lot, but enough and the series I just watched felt a lot like the more recent comics, and that was goooooood.

I actually liked the characters, I can't think of a single one that felt like a waste or was acted badly, not even the bit parts.

There were character deaths that actually mattered, huzzah for that (even if I didn't want them to die) and (until the end) scenes showing Fisk as not just a stereotypical bad guy from the comics, and very little over-the-top comic book influence.

So many nods to what has come before though, not invasive but prominent enough to be noticed by those looking.

Throughout the whole of the series there were only two bum notes for me, the cliffhanger ending to the 1st of the of 2-part Russian brothers' episode (why the hell do you need a cliff hanger in a show that has no schedule or advertising?) and the final fight with Fisk. All the other fights had impact when fist met body, this just sounded like wet noodles in comparison.

For next season the only thing I want is more interaction between Foggy and Daredevil (as opposed to Matt), I want to see a more open relationship between them, not having to sneak around behind Karen's back, that usually reduces itself to farce far to quickly.

EDIT: Actually, next season I'd like NO Fisk, move on to a completely different thing, and then third season do an adaptation of Brubaker's Daredevil in prison arc, with Fisk inside at the sametime, I think that would be a lot of fun.

Phew!

That was a difficult day-and-a-bit watching all those episodes so I could participate in the discussion here, at least I don't have to do that again!

*Sees S.H.I.E.L.D. thread*

Son of a...

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

morph147

Matchstickman wrote:

That was a lot of fun!I have read Daredevil, not all, probably not a lot, but enough and the series I just watched felt a lot like the more recent comics, and that was goooooood.I actually liked the characters, I can't think of a single one that felt like a waste or was acted badly, not even the bit parts.There were character deaths that actually mattered, huzzah for that (even if I didn't want them to die) and (until the end) scenes showing Fisk as not just a stereotypical bad guy from the comics, and very little over-the-top comic book influence.So many nods to what has come before though, not invasive but prominent enough to be noticed by those looking. Throughout the whole of the series there were only two bum notes for me, the cliffhanger ending to the 1st of the of 2-part Russian brothers' episode (why the hell do you need a cliff hanger in a show that has no schedule or advertising?) and the final fight with Fisk. All the other fights had impact when fist met body, this just sounded like wet noodles in comparison. For next season the only thing I want is more interaction between Foggy and Daredevil (as opposed to Matt), I want to see a more open relationship between them, not having to sneak around behind Karen's back, that usually reduces itself to farce far to quickly. EDIT: Actually, next season I'd like NO Fisk, move on to a completely different thing, and then third season do an adaptation of Brubaker's Daredevil in prison arc, with Fisk inside at the sametime, I think that would be a lot of fun.  Phew!That was a difficult day-and-a-bit watching all those episodes so I could participate in the discussion here, at least I don't have to do that again!*Sees S.H.I.E.L.D. thread*Son of a...

ya I will agree with you on one thing there. Fisk not being in next season would be great. I highly doubt they will leave him out though. Even if all he becomes is a minor character. Also Ben dying to me is a bigger deal because he is such a huge ally of Daredevil's in getting the news out on things Daredevil needs out there. So I almost feel like they need someone to fill that role.

The other thing I kinda disappointed in was I was enjoying the Foggy/Karen relationship. But looks like at the end of that last episode that has been thrown out and Foggy is back with his ex and Karen is starting to move in on Matt.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Fisk was a reeeaaaaaally interesting villain in this show. (Vincent D'Onofio helped. "PUT MY...HANDS...ON MY HEAD...LIKE THIS?") What the show did really well was portraying him as sympathetic, awkward first dates and all, without ever losing the sense that he was the villain. They humanized him without ever relying on some "oh, he's just misunderstood" cliche.

(Tangent: I wonder if they used Whitey Bulger for inspiration?)

I think the end set up for Fisk to break out of prison. He kind of went through a Doctor Horrible-ish arc, where he had this cognitive dissonance that he was trying to make the city better...but by the end, he's 100% bad guy. And the bad guy always breaks out of prison for next week's episode.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Or in this case, next year's episode.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.