Crack the Case

394 posts / 0 new
Last post
XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Pydro wrote:

Was it a hand of cards?

No. I'm not even gonna answer your other question :)


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Did he eat albatross?  (yes, yes, I know, but it's tradition)

 

More seriously now: (To avoid confusion, I'm going to refer to the shooter as Alex and the shootee as Jordan)

Is Alex's job relevant?

Is Jordan's job relevant?

Were both Alex and Jordan human?

Is the gender of either person relevant?

Did anybody else witness the shooting?

Was there something unusual about Jordan's hand?

Does it matter which hand it was?

Did Jordan see Alex when Alex came to shoot them?

Did Jordan know why Alex would want to shoot them?

Did Alex expect to be released without charges?

Am I asking too many questions?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Worst. Limerick. Ever.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Did he eat albatross?  (yes, yes, I know, but it's tradition) 

More seriously now: (To avoid confusion, I'm going to refer to the shooter as Alex and the shootee as Jordan)

Is Alex's job relevant?

Is Jordan's job relevant?

Were both Alex and Jordan human?

Is the gender of either person relevant?

Did anybody else witness the shooting?

Was there something unusual about Jordan's hand?

Does it matter which hand it was?

Did Jordan see Alex when Alex came to shoot them?

Did Jordan know why Alex would want to shoot them?

Did Alex expect to be released without charges?

Am I asking too many questions?

Jordan PROBABLY had a nice medium rare albatros for dinner, but it does not relate to the story.

No, neither of the characters' jobs were relevant.

Yes, both were human.

Yes, gender is relevant.

Yes, there were witnesses.

Yes, something was unusual about the deceased's hand.

Yes, it does matter which hand it was.

Yes, the deceased did see the shooter and did know why they were killed.

Yes, the shooter did expect to be released charge-free.

Yes, these questions were too extensive.

I took the liberty to answer in full sentences to avoid confusion in the regular "no, yes, no" fashion.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Sep 05, 2013

Was the hand holding anything when the shooter saw it?

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

grysqrl wrote:

Was the hand holding anything when the shooter saw it?

No.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Sep 05, 2013

Was the hand/wrist wearing anything?

Glove?

Ring?

Bracelet?

Tattoo?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Was the victim legally dead, or thought to be dead?

Was the shooter already convicted of that crime?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Did Jordan have six fingers on her right hand?

Did she kill Alex's father?

Was she prepared to die?

 

Onto a more serious note:

Was Jordan female and Alex male?

Had they ever been in a romantic or sexual relationship?

Are the identies of the witnesses relevant?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

grysqrl wrote:

Was the hand/wrist wearing anything?Glove?Ring?Bracelet?Tattoo?

No.

Pydro wrote:

Was the victim legally dead, or thought to be dead?

Was the shooter already convicted of that crime?

No, Yes.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Did Jordan have six fingers on her right hand?

Did she kill Alex's father?

Was she prepared to die?

Onto a more serious note: Was Jordan female and Alex male?

Had they ever been in a romantic or sexual relationship?

Are the identies of the witnesses relevant?

No, No, No

Yes, Yes, No.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

You've figured out the main point (How he did it), but you still have to finish the story.

 


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

XXVZ wrote:

You've figured out the main point (How he did it), but you still have to finish the story. 

I thought that we knew how he did it from the beginning - he shot her.  laugh

 

Was Jordan's hand unusual because of damage caused by being shot?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

 

XXVZ wrote:
You've figured out the main point (How he did it), but you still have to finish the story. 

 

I thought that we knew how he did it from the beginning - he shot her.  laugh Was Jordan's hand unusual because of damage caused by being shot?

No.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Is the hand a false hand? e.g. made of wood to replace a birth defect


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Matchstickman wrote:

Is the hand a false hand? e.g. made of wood to replace a birth defect

No, it is quite real (and made of flesh)


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Was the hand unusual/unique because of some other damage (not from being shot)?

Was the color unusual/unique (either the hand or nails)?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Pydro wrote:

Was the hand unusual/unique because of some other damage (not from being shot)?

Was the color unusual/unique (either the hand or nails)?

Yes, no.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Was it the right hand?

Was Jordan right handed?

Is her handedness relevant?

Does Jordan have any unusual physical features other than her hand?  Does Alex?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Was it the right hand?

Was Jordan right handed?

Is her handedness relevant?

Does Jordan have any unusual physical features other than her hand?

Does Alex?

No. Irelevent. No. No. No.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Was the damage caused by a ring?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Sep 05, 2013

Is it relevant that they were on a train?

Did the man go to the person with the hand?

Did the person with the hand come to the man?

Was person with the hand shot with a gun? If yes, did the gun belong to the shooter?

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Pydro wrote:

Was the damage caused by a ring?

No.

grysqrl wrote:

Is it relevant that they were on a train?

Did the man go to the person with the hand?

Did the person with the hand come to the man?

Was person with the hand shot with a gun?

If yes, did the gun belong to the shooter?

No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes.

I'd also like to point out that both characters have hands.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

This is why I named the characters Alex and Jordan.  Although I suppose that shooter and victim work just as well.

 

Is the country that they are in relevant?

Is the time period relevant?

Was there are particular reason that Alex had his gun with him?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Was the shooter missing a hand?

Was the hand the shooter recognised their own?


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

This is why I named the characters Alex and Jordan.  Although I suppose that shooter and victim work just as well. 

Is the country that they are in relevant?

Is the time period relevant?

Was there are particular reason that Alex had his gun with him?

Yes (Somewhat, most countries would work)

Yes (Also to a degree, we can just say it's current as to avoid confusion)

No (Other than that he's a convicted felon, not really a reason, but it does help explain his gun)


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Matchstickman wrote:

Was the shooter missing a hand?

Was the hand the shooter recognised their own?

No.

Clever idea, but it does say they recognized the hand from a couple compartments ahead so that's a no.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: Sep 05, 2013

XXVZ wrote:

Clever idea, but it does say they recognized the hand from a couple compartments ahead so that's a no.

Unless it's Inspector Gadget.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Could this have happened in the US?  (Just to clarify your previous answer)

 

Was the hand burned?

Missing any fingers?

 

Was Alex present when Jordan's hand was injured?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Could this have happened in the US?  (Just to clarify your previous answer)

Was the hand burned?

Missing any fingers?

Was Alex present when Jordan's hand was injured?

Yes, No, Yes, Yes


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Was the hand injured on accident?

Was the injury Alex's fault?

Is it relevant to know which fingers are missing?

If so: For each finger on the left hand, is it missing?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Was the hand injured on accident?

Was the injury Alex's fault?

Is it relevant to know which fingers are missing?If so: For each finger on the left hand, is it missing?

No, no.

The ring finger was missing (Although it doesn't really matter)


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Missing because of Gollum?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Did Jordan injure herself?


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

XXVZ wrote:
Pydro wrote:
Was the victim legally dead, or thought to be dead?Was the shooter already convicted of that crime?

 

No, Yes.

 

XXVZ wrote:
Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Was the hand injured on accident?Was the injury Alex's fault?Is it relevant to know which fingers are missing?If so: For each finger on the left hand, is it missing?

 

No, no.The ring finger was missing (Although it doesn't really matter)

 

This is confusing me. I would have said Alex was convicted of killing Jordan, with the missing finger being used as evidence of her having been disposed of in some way (so Double Jeperody for no conviction), but Jordan's not legally dead.

 

Have you answered every question correctly? cheeky


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Matchstickman wrote:

This is confusing me. I would have said Alex was convicted of killing Jordan, with the missing finger being used as evidence of her having been disposed of in some way (so Double Jeperody for no conviction), but Jordan's not legally dead. Have you answered every question correctly? cheeky

I thought of that too, but I'm pretty sure that Double Jeopardy doesn't work like that.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Pydro wrote:

Missing because of Gollum?

No

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Did Jordan injure herself?

Yes

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

 

Matchstickman wrote:
This is confusing me. I would have said Alex was convicted of killing Jordan, with the missing finger being used as evidence of her having been disposed of in some way (so Double Jeperody for no conviction), but Jordan's not legally dead. Have you answered every question correctly? cheeky

 

I thought of that too, but I'm pretty sure that Double Jeopardy doesn't work like that.  

 

She might be legally dead under one name.

EDIT: Added quote for context


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Donner
Donner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Mar 30, 2013

So he was accused of murdering her, with her finger being the evidence.  He lost his job and years of his life for killing her.  When he got out and saw her on the train, he killed her, thereby committing the crime he already paid the time for.


"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

If anyone other than Alex had killed Jordan in the same manner, would they have been charged?  (as opposed to getting off like Alex did)


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

If anyone other than Alex had killed Jordan in the same manner, would they have been charged?  (as opposed to getting off like Alex did)

Yes

Donner wrote:

So he was accused of murdering her, with her finger being the evidence.  He lost his job and years of his life for killing her.  When he got out and saw her on the train, he killed her, thereby committing the crime he already paid the time for.

I think that's close enough.

They were married, things went sour, Jordan faked her death using her finger as evidence and Alex was convicted with a life sentence. 40 years later he was released, he found Jordan and killed her. He wasn't charged because of double jepeordy as he already killed her.

Someone else can go next.


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 20 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

It's been a while since I've heard this one, and if anyone knows this one and has extra details they can add, they can feel free to.

 

A man lies dead in a street surrounded by bicycles.


Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 12 months ago
Joined: Jan 01, 2014

I've always heard it as a man lies dead in a room surrounded my 53 bicycles, I'm assuming it's the same riddle. It makes t easier to guess the backstory.

 


"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 20 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

XXVZ wrote:

I've always heard it as a man lies dead in a room surrounded by 53 bicycles, I'm assuming it's the same riddle. It makes it easier to guess the backstory. 

That sounds good. We'll go with that one.


Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Was the man surround by bicycles?
Was the room surrounded by bicycles?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 day ago
Playtester
Joined: Mar 11, 2014

That's a rough one if you haven't heard it before, though the number does help.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 20 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

Pydro wrote:

Was the man surround by bicycles?
Was the room surrounded by bicycles?

The man was surrounded by bicycles.


Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Joined: Dec 06, 2013

Oh, I know this one.  Guess I'll sit this one out.


"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Was the man in a bicycle shop? (whether exclusively a shop that sells bicycle or one that sells them alongside other items)


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 43 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Does bicycle refer to cards?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Donner
Donner's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Mar 30, 2013

The dude was totally cheating at cards.  Had an extra ace up his sleeve.


"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Pages