Couple of Ability interaction questions.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture
Couple of Ability interaction questions.

I've got a couple of questions on how some abilities might interact with each other.

The first are for Innate damage Reduction abilities (such as Created Form from Artificial Being Power Source and Armored from the Armored Archetype).  Does the reduction of these abilities stack if both are taken... thus allowing for a damage reduction of 2 in Green, 4 in Yellow and 6 in Red, or are they mutually exclusive?  I inderstand that such abilities may not apply to all damage types (Created form only applies to physical damage while Armored applies to both physical and energy damage), but when such powers overlap, do the effects stack?  Is it worth limiting the variety of abilities one has to get such duplicated abilities (though I guess this is a subjective question)?

My second ability interaction is about abiltities that allow for rerolls.  In the case of Innate rerolls (such as rerolling any 1st that might come up and taking the new roll) and reactionary rerolls (such as the ones where a character has to take irreducible damage to reroll an entire dice pool), which would happen first (assuming that both would apply to a roll).  I am inclined to go with the Innate ability should happen first (as it is the nature of the person) and then the Reaction happens (as that is their reflex)... but then could the Inherent affect the reactionary reroll since it is no longer the roll that had to be taken?  I'm inclined to think no on this second part, since the innate nature of the character has already acted towards the initial roll.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.

catDreaming

I can't see any reason for Damage Reduction abilities to not stack. 

As for the second, I call out the wording of such abilities in particular.

Intentionality(I): Whenever you roll a 1 on one or more dice, you may reroll those dice. You must accept the result of the reroll.

Surprise Results(R): After rolling your dice pool for the turn, you may lose 1 Health to reroll your entire pool.

I would say that you can choose the order to apply them in, but once the Intentionality type ability has been applied, you cannot use the Surprise Results type ability due to Intentionality locking in your reroll results.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

So, rather than decide which one has precidence over the other, you would say that once an Intentionality type reroll is applied to a roll (where it says the roll must be accepted), then no other rerolls can be applied afterwards.  I can work with that.

Now I have a new interaction that I could use some help with.

Namely if a Hero with Unstopable Charge could use Recalculating... with the attack.  I know that Unstopable Charge is intended to prevent the target from using Reactions to stop the attack, but the wording is such that it could also prevent the Hero using it from using a Reaction ability, like Recalculating, to change the result of the roll as well.  So if the Hero rolled 1, 1, and 1 on their Attack roll, they would not be able to use a Reaction like Recalculating... (which allows them to react to a roll they make during their turn) to change the result of the roll given the wording of the Unstopable Charge ability (though an Innate ability like Intentionality probably could be used).  Is this a fair interpretation?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.

catDreaming

That seems correct. The Attack being unable to affected by Reactions would definitely cover both offensive, and defensive. Besides, such an unstoppable attack would certainly leave the hero just as unable to react as everyone else in the scene.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

Which would be a good reason to take an Innate reroll-type ability... innate abilities are not reactions and thus would allow rerolls when the conditions are met (such as rolling a 1).