Completionist Guise Variant Unlock Discussion (early edition)

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester
Completionist Guise Variant Unlock Discussion (early edition)

Ok, before anyone gets too excited, at the time of writing this variant is not actually available.

However, this Monday I saw a notification that I had to redownload my Season 1 content, and I was curious why, so I checked the heroes. The only one that indicated it needed to be redownloaded was Guise.

Rather than make a post simply pointing that out, however, I decided to go ahead and make the variant unlock discussion post for it, because!

My guess is, Handelabra sneakily updated the game with his unlock condition, but hasn't enabled it yet. I also suspect that it will become available once we discover La Comodora's and Lifeline's unlock conditions.

I am also pretty sure the community has already discovered his unlock condition.

I'm pretty sure it's: Unlock every other hero variant via their respective achievements.

If it's not that, it may be that, ...and play at least one full game with each of them.

... I guess we won't know until it happens, but I wanted to put it out there anyway.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Edited by: Rabit on May 1 2019 - 10:45am
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

My guess is it won't be that simple. I think Christopher is going to throw us a curveball for the last unlock.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Maybe beat Oblivaeon with Guise active at the end of the game, after Santa Guise has been incapacitated.

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

Play one full gaming using every possible combination of decks in every possible order.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

payprplayn

Cult of Gloom wrote:

Play one full gaming using every possible combination of decks in every possible order.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

Calling it now:

Use the base power on every character card, including variants, then play "I Can Do That Too!"

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture
Playtester

Win a game at the Celestial Tribunal with Guise and four other heroes. During the game, at least one variant of each hero in the game must enter play as the Representative of Earth.

Martin Tenbones

Any traction on the "careful collector" component of Guise... win a game in which none of the non-Guise heroes gets damaged?

jorgenp

It'd be hilarious if it was tied to something completely unrelated to the past unlocks.

Something like:

Collect at least 20 Mint grade Weekly One-Shots

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ugh, that would be terrible! New players wouldn't be able to unlock him for 20 weeks!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Blackfang108
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Ugh, that would be terrible! New players wouldn't be able to unlock him for 20 weeks!

At least.

Dr. Kaylo Epsilon
Dr. Kaylo Epsilon's picture

I think there's too much thinking-inside-the-box here for Guise. I predict the unlock condition will be:

Win one game of Sentinels of the Multiverse the Video Game, one game of Bottom of the Ninth, one game of One Deck Dungeon, one game of Aeon's End Digital, and  one game of Spirit Island [whatever the non-tabletop-tagline will be]. Then, high-five your [insert device-appropriate name here], shake it like a maraca, enable microphone access, and yell 'Woo hoo!'.

Let R be the set containing of all sets which do not contain themselves. Is R contained in R?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't want to have to buy all those for my phone. D: I don't think it could run any of them.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Considering ODD isn't yet out for phones (soon!), Aeon's End for desktops is in beta, and Spirit Island has little if any progress made on it at all, no, I'm pretty sure your phone can't run them.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

What if it's just, "also own a hard copy of the card game," and the way it checks is to ask and make you promise you're telling the truth?

-- Trajector

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Maybe we’re overthinking it, and Completionist Guise is just given to anyone who has all the expansions?

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Nope.

I mean, here's my guess, strictly on story challenge:

In a game against OblivAeon, the Scholar (any version) must deal himself damage that incapacitates him to flip Infusion of Power in Guise's (any version) play area, while both are in Dok'Thorath Capital.

When I can, I'll try it.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

They did just release the Completionist Bundle, and while I doubt they would make us pay $70+ to get the variant, i wonder if this isn't a hint.

I suspect we may need to get all of the content available for our given platform, including foil packs. I doubt it includes soundtracks, as the mobile app doesn't offer a way of buying them directly, but it could be.

Then again, I would be surprised if no one had filled that condition so far, and I'm pretty sure no one has unlocked him yet.

The only thing I have left is the foil villain pack, so I can try after work. But I'm not buying the $70 bundle.

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

An alternative idea is that you need every other achievement. I only need one more (Infection) so if someone wants to help me test that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, since Redirection Misdirection is apparently really, really rare (even though it's easy if you're specifically trying for it) it may be keeping people from that.

According to my game (Android) only 0.7% of players have it, but I don't know if that includes all platforms or just Android.

-- Trajector

FearLord

McBehrer wrote:

An alternative idea is that you need every other achievement. I only need one more (Infection) so if someone wants to help me test that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, since Redirection Misdirection is apparently really, really rare (even though it's easy if you're specifically trying for it) it may be keeping people from that.

According to my game (Android) only 0.7% of players have it, but I don't know if that includes all platforms or just Android.

Apparently getting a Mint on the Weekly one shot creates a registry log, but it looks like it doesn’t work if you haven’t got all other variants unlocked. Not clear yet whether it works if you unlock some with the button or not or whether you need other achievements as well (I also only need infection). And there’s at least one more step after that that hasn’t been solved yet...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ugh, it's gonna be one of THOSE. Gotta get all the variants, I'm like 90% sure.

Then we probably need to get, maybe, 3 mints. Hopefully not in a row? But starting now.

-- Trajector

NyxFSSD

https://puu.sh/DsAiB/e8a0f38441.png https://pastebin.com/DSS3MYNc So this is a partial log. I unlocked Completionist at the start of Guises turn. I've got no clue what I did in this game to actually get it, as it's such a short game and I've done a couple games with Santa Guise already where he puts a lot of cards face down (don't have a hard count on previous games at this point), though it might have to do with Guise being first in line this time, as I had him later in the queue in other attempts.

There was a registry entry that showed up, "CuriouslyStrong", which only appeared after I minted the Weekly One-Shot after Completionist was released to the wild. After trying to mint it on another computer/account that *doesn't* have all of the variants available, CuriouslyStrong didn't appear, so I'm guessing it requires you to have all of the variants first (unsure if through actual achievements or just using the unlock button, and it might be related to having all of the achievements instead of just the variants, or it might specifically just be hero variants...there are a few things to test on this).

There was also an entry that showed up after the unlock popped up, "YouFoolThisIsntEven". Might mean you can get them in either order, since they're separate entries that aren't numbered? Dunno.

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

I think "YouFoolThisIsntEven" doesn't refer to even and odd, but the first half of the phrase that ends "My final form."

NyxFSSD

Ah, I didn't mean the words themselves meaning you could get them in either order, just the fact that it's not a numbered entry, meaning you could get "YouFoolThisIsntEven" before "CuriouslyStrong". Could have been clearer on that.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I think it's a red herring. "You fool, this isn't even [related to my unlock condition.]" (Actually it probably is a DBZ reference, but I still think it might be unrelated) As evidenced by the fact that you triggered it AFTER unlocking him.

Also, that's clearly an Altoids reference. Small, White, and Curiously Strong is (was?) the tagline for Altoids Mints.

I think Guise got into the code and put a bunch of distractions in there.

Perhaps the solution is something i had come up with, but hadn't had a chance to test yet: have one copy of EACH CARD face-down (or just in play, including face-down) at the start of your turn. Whether that means "one of each of Guise's cards" or "one of each unique card from every single deck" is another issue entirely.

-- Trajector

NyxFSSD

That couldn't be it, though. Guise only had 11 cards face down, and he has 16 unique cards in his deck. He also had Lemme See That in play, which could account for one more, but that'd still only be 12, not 16.

As for triggering it AFTER I unlocked him, I don't know whether that showed up first or if CompletionistGuiseCharacter etc. etc. showed up first. It very well could be that I triggered getting YouFool, and having both that and CuriouslyStrong triggered unlocking CompletionistGuise. That seems to be the more reasonable line of logic here.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok, ok. All of his ongoing cards is what i meant. Which would make sense, actually; he's "bulking up" but it isn't even his final form.

So, this is my hypothesis.

In no particular order:

A.) Earn Mint on a Weekly One-Shot.

B.) In a game with Guise, have all of his ongoing cards in play at the start of his turn.

-- Trajector

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I hope it’s not get a MINT.

i do t think it will be or should be.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

JimB
JimB's picture

McBehrer wrote:

A.) Earn Mint on a Weekly One-Shot.

B.) In a game with Guise, have all of his ongoing cards in play at the start of his turn.

Alas, nope.

Kupo.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

So you do t need a mint? Thank god

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Why is that so bad? A lot of them are super easy. It doesn't have to be THIS one, obviously.

-- Trajector

carnilius
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Why is that so bad? A lot of them are super easy. It doesn't have to be THIS one, obviously.

Because you only have one chance per week.  Also, rules for variants state that the conditions must be able to be met through normal play -- one shots are not normal play.

jorgenp

Have we tested if it has to be mint?  Perhaps that registry entry could unlock upon gaining a one-shot cover in any condition...

UXM266
UXM266's picture

carnilius wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

Because you only have one chance per week.  Also, rules for variants state that the conditions must be able to be met through normal play -- one shots are not normal play.

In addition, it limits the people to get it. Let's say they are not there when the one-shot is easy? What if they miss it? What if the game crashed and prevents them from getting it? What if the One-shot is especially hard? Many people say it's super easy, but I got near mint on the termination one with chokepoint. 

Skill is required to get some unlocks, but it shouldn't be absed on a possible time limit.

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

If getting a mint one shot is required then this will be the first unlock I won't be achieving, and I kinda hate that.

One shots are a separate collectible thing I decided I didn't want, I'm not going to be forced into it now. I just don't have the time nor inclination to try to unlock something every week, and having one and none of the others will bug me immensely, especially as it is completely impossible to get the others now.

I'm waiting until the full unlock condition is announced and I really hope that getting a mint one shot is just one option if it is part of it and can be skipped for something else.

Escher

jorgenp wrote:

Have we tested if it has to be mint?  Perhaps that registry entry could unlock upon gaining a one-shot cover in any condition...

Very unlikely.  Altoids are sold with the tagline "Curiously Strong Mints", so it makes no sense to gain CuriouslyStrong without a MINT.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The community has discovered the official unlock condition for Completionist Guise! Since Guise is very particular about the purity of his collection, the only way to get him for now is the real way. It's possible he may change his mind later, but he's pretty stubborn. I'm not stubborn! I'm principled. Also, I'm the best!

First, unlock all other variants via their story challenges. Then, in any order, earn a mint cover on a Weekly One-Shot, and activate the special form of Guise or Santa Guise.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of digital tabletop games & apps like SotM: The Video Game and Bottom of the 9th

Blackfang108
Playtester

Dammit.  Gotta wait until next week, as I failed this one.

Also: special form?

NyxFSSD

Blackfang108 wrote:

Dammit.  Gotta wait until next week, as I failed this one.

Also: special form?

You might still be able to get a mint online for the one-shot, since Local and Online are separate and I've seen a lot of people not consider the Online half.

As for special forms - you need either form of Guise in the first position. Then, with Santa Guise, if you have two cards face down in each hero play area and have Lemme See That out at the start of his turn, he'll end up in a full Santa outfit instead of just the hat. With base Guise, people are still trying to figure it out specifically, but it seems like having at least one of each card in your trash at the start of your turn after having played Best Card Ever. Not sure if that's all there is to it, but we're working on it.

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

Well, that's a bit of a bummer isn't it.

Can't say I'm happy with those choices really. Guess I'll just have to accept my collection will be incomplete, which kinda sours all the time put into the previous ones.

mb

is "unlock all other variants via their story challenges" for what you have purchased, or for everything ever ? ie, is he available if you have Base + Mp3 and unlocked those variants ?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

All other variants.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of digital tabletop games & apps like SotM: The Video Game and Bottom of the 9th

mb

got it thanks!

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

So, sure enough, it was YouFoolThisIsntEven for the fact that you needed a special form, and CuriouslyStrong for a Mint.

Well, see you next week. (I'm not even going to try this one again.)

waedens
Playtester

NyxFSSD wrote:

As for special forms, with Santa Guise, if you have two cards face down in each hero play area and have Lemme See That out at the start of his turn, he'll end up in a full Santa outfit instead of just the hat. As for base Guise, people are still trying to figure it out specifically, but it seems like having at least one of each card in your trash at the start of your turn after having played Best Card Ever. Not sure if that's all there is to it, but we're working on it.

Weird. That is not working for me to get Santa Guise's special form. Don't see the santa suit, just the hat. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

jediunter12
jediunter12's picture
Playtester

So this won’t be available unless you do his unlock ever or will be available like the rest over time?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Eventually there will be an unlock button but when it’s uncertain. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Well, this unlock will annoy a lot of people.

Hopefully next weeks unlock won’t be as hard

waedens
Playtester

UXM266 wrote:

Wait, what unlock are we expecting next week?

Blackfang108
Playtester

waedens wrote:

UXM266 wrote:

Wait, what unlock are we expecting next week?

They probably meant Next week's One-Shot.

Because this week's was brutal.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

So we still have to figure out La Comodora to be able to do this.

Pages