College and Majors and Stuff!

95 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My Wife's Great-Grandmother was Irish, and to her dying day talked about the Black-hearted Presbyterian SOB's that stole their land.

Her Granddaughter went to college, and her first roommate was Presbyterian, and had a Grandmother who hated Catholics.  They ended up good friends.  (It's a much better story when My M-i-L tells it in her horribly fake Irish Accent)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

It's a natural response - our brains can only cope with relatively small groups of people so we're very much predisposed towards seperating everyone into "in-group" and "out-group" and hating the out-group.

Segregation and persecution and discrimination and prejudice are the results of this, because it's extremely hard for us to conceive of people who aren't in our in-group as real people. Not that this excuses any such behaviour (we are intelligent enough to be able to rise above our biology) but it at least puts it into some kind of context.

I personally find it difficult not to have contempt for people who are rich because they have rich parents or spouse, or because they had lucky breaks rather than earning by their own hard work. This is because of my own working-class background where even my relatively recent ancestors had to struggle to survive. I'm working on that prejudice, but I still can't help but feel that anyone who has more than enough money to live on should be giving something back to those less fortunate. Why does a billionaire need to buy another business when people are literally starving? It makes me sick. /rant. 

But yeah. People are people. But it's hard to see that. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

I have even managed to rise above that reaction on an individual level to the point of having a friend whose parents were born in Germany as a groomsman, as well as such things as enjoying meeting and knowing Sentinels fans from Germany. (Hi, Julia!)

<_<

For a moment there I thought we we're going to have a problem.

Semper ludens.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

For some people who find out exactly what they want to do with their life, keeping the day job that they don't enjoy is necessary to allow them to pursue the thing they love as a hobby.

This.

No one is ever going to pay me to run their table-top RPGs for them.

But at least they pay me to act like a 5-year-old at work. I'm a business analyst - it's my job to constantly ask people "Why?" until we get to what we need to get to.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm in a bit of a "Hmm" moment job-wise too. I've been working in the book department of a shop for nearly seven years now - never wanted to work in retail, just ended up there. I've been trying to find a new job for about two years now, since my partner and I got together which means I have someone to move in with whenever I finally leave home...but to do that, I need a new job so I'm actually earning enough to be able to afford bills and stuff - right now I don't earn very much and then spend about half of it on the train fares to get me to work in the first place.

Just over a year ago I had the brainwave of "Hey hang on, the thing I really like doing is writing about stuff...so why don't I look for jobs involving that?". A quick Google search later led me to Elance, a site for freelance writing, and I did a few jobs there. Don't have anything on the go right now but have made a few proposals lately and will probably put in a few more some time soon, since I don't really have any problems finding jobs there that I think I can do. I'm also involved in helping someone (a fellow forum member on a forum I've been a part of for over ten years now, a forum dedicated to an old dungeon-crawling game from 1987) with the development of his upcoming game (Dwelvers) by writing the background fluff on all the monsters and stuff. Not that I'm getting any money for that or anything - I just kind of ended up part of the dev team by accident, but I'm not complaining ;).

If I could manage to get a regular job doing some kind of game-related writing (game guides, articles describing games and generally talking about them, background fluff for RPGs, etc), that would be epic, but so far it's just been freelance stuff which of course isn't really reliable enough, pay-wise for me to ditch my "actual" job and do that instead. Still, maybe if I keep at it then something will come up. I keep meaning to write some more stuff for my own website but other stuff keeps coming up, lol.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Odin
Odin's picture

Ameena wrote:

"Hey hang on, the thing I really like doing is writing about stuff...so why don't I look for jobs involving that?".

You are the Wordweaver...

Basically, you like writing stuff ;)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Ameena wrote:

If I could manage to get a regular job doing some kind of game-related writing (game guides, articles describing games and generally talking about them, background fluff for RPGs, etc), that would be epic

Whenever I've seen anyone talk about how they got a job writing for a game-related site, they always say it started with their personal game-related blog.  Having a blog they regularly updated with smart, fun content that showed their passion for gaming was the best key to getting a job doing it professionally because it showed they were already experienced at being interesting on a regular basis and attracting readers.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

Amnachaidh
Playtester

I'm an engineer who works as an Owner's representative on large municipal projects. My degree is in Bioengineering, which had all the anatomy of a pre-med degree and all the statics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer of a mechanical engineering degree. The two have next to nothing to do with one another, but the pace and difficulty of the degree has served me well.

Did I ever expect that I would wind up doing this? Never. But it is good work when it isn't stupid, or crazy, or crazy stupid.

It admirably paid the bills when my daughter got sick.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Braithwhite wrote:

lynkfox wrote:
braith, im curious. one of the dishwashers here part times at a library and has been talking of going back for his masters as.well.what do you do? what is your job desc? on one hand it seems like you wouldnt need a degree to work anything in a library, but i know thats not true so om genuinely curious what duties and things a masters of library sciences prepares you to do?

...(lots of cool stuff!)...

Wow. So you are, effectively, a professional research assistant? (if that is simplifying too far, don't be afraid to tell me to stuff my perceptions :P) I could see that being a pretty fulfilling job actually - being able to always touch on so many different subjects every time you get a new project, that could be a lot of fun.

I was talking with my girlfriend about it today, and we wondered what kind of classes filled up enough for a Masters degree? And what would you write your thesis about?

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

Ameena wrote:
If I could manage to get a regular job doing some kind of game-related writing (game guides, articles describing games and generally talking about them, background fluff for RPGs, etc), that would be epic

Whenever I've seen anyone talk about how they got a job writing for a game-related site, they always say it started with their personal game-related blog.  Having a blog they regularly updated with smart, fun content that showed their passion for gaming was the best key to getting a job doing it professionally because it showed they were already experienced at being interesting on a regular basis and attracting readers.

Fred Hicks and the rest of the Evil Hat crew have recently been conducting an open call, if you're comfortable with the FATE system.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

jffdougan wrote:

Spiff wrote:
 Ameena wrote:

Fred Hicks and the rest of the Evil Hat crew have recently been conducting an open call, if you're comfortable with the FATE system.

I have a lot of friends in the RPG industry. Steve Kenson *thud* of Mutants and Masterminds fame told me once that the best way to get started making money writing for games was not to make money writing for games.

Another option in the RPG world is to find an author/designer with a small personal project and kill it writing something for that. It's flattering and sure to be noticed. I would cite Brian Clevinger's "Becoming" as an example. It's not big, but he's personally very proud of it. And he knows and works with some big names. A module for something like that is a good way for a well-connected person to learn your name.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I'm lost as to what to do with myself, as well.  I got my English Literature degree about a year ago.  I'm currently brewing coffee as my main source of income.  However, about ten of my 35-45 hours a week are spent working at a comic shop I've been frequenting since I was eight.  It's really satisfying working at a local shop where I've spent so much time developing wonderful interests and strong friendships.  I even get to sell copies of Sentinels (We just got three copies of RC/IR, and I found out one of my favorite regulars is a fan and plays with a former coworker of mine)!  It's really satisfying telling people that I not only have a lot of experience playing the game, but playtesting it as well.  Playtesting may not pay, but it's certainly given me some credibility when I'm encouraging folks to drop $40 on a game!

The point is that I'm happy with my education, happy with at least one of my jobs, and am eager to see where life takes me.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

[...]the best way to get started making money writing for games was not to make money writing for games.

I cannot agree enough. Yes. Absolutely.

If you're willing to work hard at something, regardless of the money it makes you, you have a better chance succeeding than you do if you do something for the income. 

It all comes down to passion.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:
Yes. Absolutely.If you're willing to work hard at something, regardless of the money it makes you, you have a better chance succeeding than you do if you do something for the income. It all comes down to passion.  

Actually reminds me of a quote from Buddha that I have on my wall:

"Success is not the key to happiness, happiness is the key to success.  If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."

I just happen to be really lucky that what I love to do is IT work, lol.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Jffdougan - I've never heard of Fred Hicks or Evil Hat...I'm guessing the "FATE system" is some kind of RPG system? I have a fair bit of experience at RPGs - a lot of computer-based ones and some tabletop ones as well. Preferably Fantasy-based ones, of course ;). I'll do some more writing for my website some time soon. I also have a bunch of writing I need to do for Dwelvers...hopefully if that game does well, I might attract some kind of attention there.

I'm not generally fussed about making money - it's just kind of a pain that it's sort of necessary to, you know, live and stuff ;). If I could earn some cash without needing to spend half of said cash just in getting to the place where I earn it, that would be a good start, but I don't want a crappy job that I don't enjoy. My current job certainly has various annoying/boring things that happen, but it's not too bad most of the time - I mean, it could certainly be worse. It's just not what I want to be doing forever. I need to churn out a bunch more writing and stick it on the Internet so someone important will magically turn up, see it and go "Hey, I like that - can you do some for me? Here is money" :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

FATE is an RPG system, and although it's chiefly the house system for Evil Hat (who are best known for being the team behind the Spirit of the Century! and Dresden Files RPGs), there are a large number of people who have started to use it outside of Evil Hat because the system is an open license. Fred's the primary face of the company, and is both an advocate of transparency in operations and a Really Good  Guy in general.

I'm not sure if the open call has closed, but you might want to look it up. If nothing else, FATE Core and FATE Accelerated are both "pay what you want" for PDF versions, and really worth looking at. (FAE is all of 32 pages, IIRC. Not more than 64.)

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

[...]the best way to get started making money writing for games was not to make money writing for games.

I cannot agree enough. Yes. Absolutely.If you're willing to work hard at something, regardless of the money it makes you, you have a better chance succeeding than you do if you do something for the income. It all comes down to passion.  

I cannot agree more. I'm just now finding a paying use for my Master's degree, and it is only part time. But I have been out there, worked terrible jobs, and know I will do whatever it takes to succeed in my field. My field, history, is never a field you make money in, but it is something you have to care about to do. Same with writing. You may succeed some day, but you have to put in the time and energy before that happens. It's frustrating, exhausting, and sometimes feels futile. But you will have a more fulfilling life.

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, I think I might vaguely have heard of Spirit of the Century and the Dresden Files, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I'd have to actually look them up and find some info on what they're about - what genre, what kind of dice system and character mechanics they use and stuff. I just tried a quick Google for "Evil Hat" and found what looks to be their website so I'll have to have a read of that at some point - I don't have much going on this weekend so that would seem to be a good time :).

I just really like creating stuff - coming up with races of creatures, the world they live in, little fluff details (though not so much for "civilised races", with politics and all that messy stuff - if I'm coming up with a sentient race, they're likely to be more "basic/primitive" ;)) and all the little bits that I like to know for myself even if they don't actually come up in whatever it is I'm writing. There was a forum-based game of DnD a few years back on one of my forums, run by another member, and my character ended up being a member of a race I invented just for the purposes of having a character belonging to a race I wanted (or something). And I've since come up with all these little background details and stuff on the race in general, even though basically none of it came up in the game (basically a dungeon crawl in which no-one really had huge amounts of time to sit down and discuss the tiniest details of each other's backgrounds ;)). I have been able to use the race again, though, when I ran a DnD RPG for the guy who was running that other game and included some members of my made-up race in my made-up country :).

Anyway, I think I'm sidetracking myself into talking about games again - probably should let other people carry on talking about stuff that actually fits into the topic of this thread ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Ameena, I've played a lot of FATE and I'm confident that it's your kind of game. It's one of those narrative make-up-cool-stuff type games where you get to be someone who can do awesome stuff, and it uses special FATE dice (also sometimes called FUDGE dice) which are D6s with 2 sides with a +, 2 with a - and two blank.

My favourite bit of the system is the aspects, one of the ways you define your character (you'll have a few of these). Like skills almost, but more individual and less specific. Some examples from games I've been in include, "I used to be a boxer, but now I'm fat", "Exploring the mysteries of the mind", "There's more to life than crystals and s**t", "Fickle Goblin Luck" and "I'm English, and in a foreign country. The chances are, I have tea." You can get bonuses for your aspects if you can explain how they apply to what you're trying to do, and similarly the GM can use them "against" you. The fat ex-boxer dude's player might claim he's going to be good at lifting up a car because he did a lot of strength training or something, and similarly the GM might suggest that he's no longer fit enough to run up three flights of stairs.

Mostly it's about making an exciting story and not really about "winning" like so many RPGs are. It's common (and fun!) to accept negative stuff because it fits with your character, or just to make things more interesting, but you do get to do awesome things as well.

I really haven't explained it well so I apologise, but it's great. Probably my favourite system.

Damn it, Ronway!

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Fate is the system that, I think, has best realized that most people playing RPGs don't want to model the reality in which a genre exists, they want to model the stories told in that genre. It models storytelling.  Mutants and Masterminds did similar with hero points, but Fate opens it up.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, sounds reminiscent of Nobilis, in which the character gen is largely designed around the fluff, with only four stats to worry about which work like resource points you can spend when you want to do certain things, and which can be restored when you rest or whatever. Everything else is done by more descriptive means, like a bunch of phrases you come up with (at gen) which describe your area of power (basically you're a mortal who's been imbued with a tiny portion of a godlike creature's power, thus making you the "god" of whatever - the god of rain, of time, of socks, of mouldy bread, of hamsters...anything you like), so as long as you can fit something into one of those phrases when trying to use your powers (and have the points to spend on it), you can do it. It's quite good fun :). When I played it, I took Change as my thing, so I could basically shapeshift myself or other people/objects into whatever I wanted :D. Nobilis also uses no dice, and is the only tabletop RPG I've ever come across which does so.

Mutants and Masterminds is another RPG I've heard of but never played. Maybe these are just bigger over in America than they are over here, so that's why they've never come up for me? I've played a bunch of tabletop RPGs including DnD, Hollow Earth Expedition, Nobilis, all four of the Warhammer 40k gams (Dark heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Black Crusade), Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (aka WFRP), Doctor Who, Farscape, Scion (sort of), Deadlands (uses the Savage Worlds mechanics), Traveller, Mouse Guard, and probably some others I can't think of right now. I also own the Red Dwarf RPG but haven't got round to playing it yet. I'm currently attempting to run a Hollow Earth game over on RPOL (Roleplay Online, basically a forum composed entirely of RPGs) which is going pretty well atm :).

I may look into FATE but I don't think I'd have anyone to play it with atm (certainly not at tabletop, and playing online I'd need to find someone willing to run a game as I wouldn't want to try running something I've never played before). It does sound interesting, though :).

I am the Wordweaver...

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

cough.

i would totally run a play by forum or play by email FATE game. love the system

Lynkfox.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ooh...sounds promising. Have you ever used RPOL? Maybe you could check it out ;). If you decide you might actually start running a game, I'll have to see if I can locate a PDF of the rulebook(s)...

I am the Wordweaver...

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I would totally be up for that. FATE is fun...

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

You guys like FATE? 

Gooooood...

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

FATE sentinels adaption? Yes Please!

Lynkfox.

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Ooohhhh.  That would be great!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The new version of FATE was released as a pay what you want deal*, so you could buy it for zero English Pounds, it's certainly worth more than that though.

I am thinking that Christopher might be obliquely hinting that the last expansion will be named something like the Fate of the Multiverse, but it would be awesome to be proved wrong

*I got my copy from DriveThruRPG.com

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Add me to the OMGFATEYES list. I'm totally up for playing.

Damn it, Ronway!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

That would definitely be a blast!  

My own game really isn't built for the varied supers universe that SotM provides....Rook City, though, would be another story!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Silverleaf wrote:

Just realised that could be read as OMG FAT EYES. And now I can't stop seeing it.

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

Just realised that could be read as OMG FAT EYES. And now I can't stop seeing it.

Wait. That wasn't what you meant?

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I've downloaded the PDF and am having a read through it - it looks interesting :). Still only reading through char gen atm so haven't got onto how the mechanics work (other than the explanation of what Fate Dice are at the beginning) but it looks like a fairly simple system to get into. I wouldn't mind giving it a go if someone's up for running a game, since I think the whole worldbuilding thing looks pretty interesting, potentially something I might use myself in the future because it seems so flexible and open :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Rabit wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
 Silverleaf wrote:

Wait. That wasn't what you meant? 

I'm totally adopting this as my own personal "this is so awesome I need to type in all caps" phrase.

Damn it, Ronway!

SSJ3Godzilla
Playtester

Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to explain why I won't have too much time to playtest.

I'm nearing the end of my second year of medical school, which really puts a kaboosh on the amount of free time I have. I really enjoy playing this game, especially as a solitaire, for stress relief.

I honestly get jealous of the amount of free time people have, and their ability to leave their job at their job, but c'est la vie.

I kind of regret going strait from high school to college to med school, without taking some time off. I just get burnt out sometimes. Which is why I was so excited to find a way to focus my attention elsewhere, even for brief amounts of time.

I'm not here to complain, either. I met my girlfriend while at school, and we've been together for a couple of years and are living together quite happily. We even have a few cats. I just wish I had more time to enjoy it, lol.

So, if any of you playtesters are going wonder why I will dissappear from time to time, it's not due to lack of desire; just precious time.

Also, my college major was in liberal arts and sciences, with a major concentration in Pre-Med (Because my school only hands out liberal arts degrees...).

Amnachaidh
Playtester

SSJ3Godzilla - I salute you. I hope your time in med school leaves you with a bit of sanity. I have several friends and relatives in health care, and have spent considerable time at the hospital for my major (way back when) and my daughter (for the past three years).

Think that you're investing time now to have free time some time later. I don't know if it's true, but let's pretend it. :)

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

My first two years of college went really great. I made bunch of great friends, made the Dean's list repeatedly, and in my second year I got to add "Assistant Designer to Sentinels of the Multiverse: Shattered Timelines Expansion" to my resumé. Unfortunately, toward the end of my second year I got paralyzed with depression and left a lot of work unfinished.

My third year should've been really great; it was the first time I'd get my best college friend as a roommate, I was living in a sci-fi/animé-themed hall that showed movies every week, and to combat the depression I had tried reducing my courseload to 2 courses only. But even that wasn't enough. Every time I had to write a paper, I'd spend hours staring at a blank screen before ADD eventually took over and i'd find myself goofing off. Any work not related to my major (game design) I just could not get myself to do.

Worst of all, it was really hard to accept that this all wasn't, in some way, my fault. I knew I was procrastinating, I was completely aware I was wasting time when I was supposed to be working, but doing the work ment facing that fact, and I couldn't stand to be reminded of all the work I had to do. So I continued to goof off in an effort to ignore my problems, because that was easier. Even now, some part of me still wonders if I really did all I could, if there was some strategy I didn't try.

A month or so into the semester, I had no choice but to take a leave of absence from college. The idea was to give me time to recover, but leaving behind all my friends and all the game design work( which I loved) just made me feel worse. I had nothing to do, and no one but family to do things with.

Since then, things have gotten a little better. Slowly. I worked on some personal projects, made visits to my college, and finished up an animation final assignment from a previous year. I'm gonna try getting some work at a game company near me, and I found some high school friends who are still in the area and availiable to hang out with( we're gonna try out D&D 5th edition together!). And of course, there's stuff to do on these forums.smiley But it's not the same. And I'm determined to go back to school, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to recover from an inability to do work. I know I used to be able to function, but it's been so long I can't really remember what that was like. It felt really good, though.

I hope I'm not broken.

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Alex wrote:

I hope I'm not broken.

I dunno, man.  You helped build the Multiverse.  I think it takes someone pretty solid to do something as cool as that.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I believe we're all broken. Occasionally, we're able to hold ourselves together long enough to do the things we feel are important. Some of us are better at holding the pieces together. Our society pressures us to believe everyone else is fine, that it's just us.

Best wishes to you, Alex, and everyone else with similar struggles...

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Alex wrote:

I hope I'm not broken.

If you are, I wish you the very best of luck in either getting fixed, or learning to love the state you're in. In the brief time I spent with you at PAX East I got the sense of someone who had a lot going on internally that they were dealing with, but also who had a lot to offer the world.

Everyone's different and we all deal with challenges. Some people's challenges may be much more challenging than others. For what it's worth, I've found that even some of my issues I used to think were intractable have been managed or even squelched entirely. Along the way I've discovered that there were ways I assumed the world worked and ways that I defined myself that were simply wrong -- interpretations or definitions I adopted/assigned as a child or under stress (or both) that I took as gospel, but did not need to be so.

For instance, most of my life I believed that I was unlovable. It took a lot of internal work, but I eventually was able to track this down to the fact that the way my parents and siblings showed love was simply different to what I was expecting. Upon having that epiphany, I was able to reframe a tremendous number of other events in my life and vastly change the way I feel about myself. I certainly can't promise that you'll have an analogous epiphany, but I can at least say that such things are possible.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Oh Alex. Being unable to finish or even start stuff, and then getting overwhelmed by all the stuff you have to do and ignoring the fact that the undone stuff's becoming more and more of a problem because it's too much to deal with, and the subsequent snowball effect? I'm right there with you.

I can't recommend cognitive behaviour therapy highly enough, if that's a possibility for you. It's incredibly hard work but if you really commit to it, it'll help. CBT literally saved my life, despite me not believing in it at all at first - I went to my first session passively suicidal (wanting to just not exist any more) and came away with homework and the resolve that I was going to work my butt off to prove to this woman who had no idea of how I felt that her ridiculous idea of challenging my negative thoughts and doing fun things even though I wasn't going to actually enjoy them couldn't possibly affect my faulty brain chemistry. So I threw myself into the work she gave me, with the intention of going to my next session and telling my therapist that it didn't work. I was so mad to have to admit that I did feel better despite myself. And I continued to get better, because then I knew I could do it.  

I'm still prone to depressive episodes but now I have the tools to combat them and I've never been anything like how I was before therapy.

It's easy for me to say but depression isn't your fault, and you can't be expected to function in the same way as a person without mental health problems. Don't beat yourself up for something you didn't choose, but know that you can get yourself out of it given the right guidance. Hang in there. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

arenson9 wrote:

...getting fixed, or learning to love the state you're in.

Yeah. Some things can be changed, other things you have to adapt to or accept. The ability to recognise which is which is an extremely useful skill.

Damn it, Ronway!

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
...getting fixed, or learning to love the state you're in.

Yeah. Some things can be changed, other things you have to adapt to or accept. The ability to recognise which is which is an extremely useful skill. 

the Serenity prayer is not just for alcoholics...

I say that not as a religious person... and not really as an alcoholic (although the propensity is definitely there). I just mean that I agree that it is important to find strength and acceptance within you and even more important to have the clarity to see which one applies when. 

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

You are all very kind. Thank you. (-:

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

Pages