Collaborative Overcomes

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture
Collaborative Overcomes

If two or more heroes are logically needed to accomplish something, is there (or will there be) a mechanism for collaborative overcomes? That is, will there be a way for two or more heroes to roll together to try to overcome a challenge? You could have each hero roll an individual overcome to do their part, but this doesn't seem to satisfy what I have in mind. For example, to keep it simple, four heroes of average strength working together to lift up a Volkwagon Beetle-- do you really want to have 4 succeeds with a minor twist and administer 4 minor twists? Do you want everyone to fail because one person rolled badly? I'm actually not sure. I'd love to see a way of pooling dice in a way that makes it clear that everyone is helping out. What do y'all think?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

From what we’ve seen in the live streams there isn’t.  Instead the one hero boosted the actions of another hero doing the overcome. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

degausser

From what we have seen, there isn’t.  But, like Powerhound said, one hero could boost another.  You could even add a limitation like: “This is an overcome, but you need a boost from at least one (or two or three) other heroes to attempt it.”  You could also impose penalties to specific overcomes so that PCs are incentivized to boost each other.

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

Interesting ideas... but it wouldn't really narratively be the heroes doing it together, it would be other heroes giving one hero the tools or power to do it herself. Like, three heroes massaging the muscles of a fourth hero, who then lifts the Volkswagon Beetle themself. Especially because that's the way it would play out in the RPG, i.e. Hero 1 boosts Hero 4, Hero 2 boosts Hero 4, Hero 3 boosts Hero 4, Hero 4 lifts car. Not, four heroes lift a car together :( 

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

Chilly Steke wrote:

Interesting ideas... but it wouldn't really narratively be the heroes doing it together, it would be other heroes giving one hero the tools or power to do it herself. Like, three heroes massaging the muscles of a fourth hero, who then lifts the Volkswagon Beetle themself. Especially because that's the way it would play out in the RPG, i.e. Hero 1 boosts Hero 4, Hero 2 boosts Hero 4, Hero 3 boosts Hero 4, Hero 4 lifts car. Not, four heroes lift a car together :( 

"I want to help hero 4 lift up the car. I roll my super strength power, my cordination quality and my status die. Hero four now gets a +3 bonus called "I'm holding the front bumper"

A boost can totally be represenative of something another hero has done towards solving a problem, or represent an act of teamwork.

Though generally a challenge big enough to require multiple heroes would require multiple overcomes. Like the challenge of "Blow up Baron Blades Shield generator." We want to blow it up by having there people combine there powers into one mega attack, so each hero just makes an overcome check on there turn passing from one to the other.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

That makes sense. Although, if front-bumper hero handed it off to a villain who punched them into a ditch, then presumably Hero 4 could still lift the car, since "Holding Front Bumper +3" wasn't destroyed by the ditch-punch... so it still doesn't sit perfectly with me narratively, but I'll live! Thanks for the responses.

ErekLich

Tbh, this entire system is built on the premise that players and GMs alike will be glossing over slight misalignments between mechanics and story fairly frequently.  I can live with that, especially as the misalignments are typically very slight, but the system is otherwise suprisingly robust.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm moving a sofa or something it always feels like either I or the other person is handling the brunt of it and the other is just helping.  Doing it as boosts seems totally appropriate to me.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

degausser

Chilly Steke wrote:

That makes sense. Although, if front-bumper hero handed it off to a villain who punched them into a ditch, then presumably Hero 4 could still lift the car, since "Holding Front Bumper +3" wasn't destroyed by the ditch-punch... so it still doesn't sit perfectly with me narratively, but I'll live! Thanks for the responses.

Or the villain punches the guy holding the bumper but he heroically takes it and keeps ahold of the bumper like the heroic hero he is!

Melkhor

Chilly Steke wrote:

Well, since who he hands off the initiative to is entirely his decision, maybe he just doesn't hand it off to the villain in that situation, unless he's deliberately going out of his way to disrupt the narrative now? ;)