Awakening Ancient Threats?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture
Awakening Ancient Threats?

I'm not sure what exactly I should title this, it's more the start of an idea than anything else.

As many people probably have, I've started thinking on what type of character I might play if I ever got the chance in the RPG. I admit, I have a trope I tend to stick with, a magical hero possessed by an ancient entity. Not terribly original but I always seem to come back to it.

Anyways, with that as a base idea, I got to thinking about the possibility of nemesises for my undevelopped character, and if your power is ancient, you tend to have ancient enemies.

So where would they come from?

The RPG is clearly doing a lot with "The Underworld" and Ammit releasing ancient threats from there, but what if I wanted something else that doesn't have a connection to Ammit?

We do know that when Oblivaeon was defeated that he released a massive wave of energy. This energy has already shown up in at least one form, and probably has caused a lot of new powers to arise in the world of Sentinel Comics, I see no reason that it could not have also re-empowered or awoken ancient threats thought long gone from the world. We even have confirmations in a few places of monsters in the shadows, ranging from Doc Tusser's kin to the monsters from the Final Wasteland.

So, not really sure where I'm going with this, but lets end with a question.

What kind of ancient threats do you think Christopher and Adam are going to revive in the RPG (they've thought of this too after all) and what kinds of things are you thinking of adding into your own games?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

First, if this were for an RPG game, I'd work with the GM before thinking about this sort of thing too heavily.  And there's always the question of whether, if your power is from an ancient spirit but you yourself are not, would your nemesis even be ancient?  A lot would depend on your relationship with this entity--is it a demon, a parasite, or a symbiote?

Anyway, to answer your actual question: There's the shadow parasites from the Akash'bhuta episode, the unidentified builders of Atlantis, and apparently monsters from Egyptian mythology.  The Fanatic, Apostate, Bugbear, and Sentinels podcast episodes will probably present some more mythological monsters that might be appropriate.  The presence of Gloomweaver and Nightmist's backstory suggest that other Great Old Ones (or the equivalent) exist--and Lovecraft's monsters are free for other authors and creators to make use of.  There's vampires; Countess Bathory is based on a 16th-century mass murderer, hardly ancient, but there may be older vampires if your GM wanted to get into that.  The Celestial Tribunal seems to be extremely old, although I don't see much room in that story to add new characters.  There is room in the story of the Enclave of the Endlings, though; someone other than Deadline and from a much older race could also have escaped it.  We also don't know much about Magmaria; most of the population seems to be friendly, but at least one of them isn't, and we have no idea how long they live, if they're even mortal.

If I were to GM a game, I'd tailor the experience to the heroes the players come up with.  In a superhero world with time travel, magic, aliens, and more, there's no reason to pigeonhole oneself.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Based on the name of Lilian's two cohorts I'd say there's a little touch of Norse mythology in there as well ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Don't forget about the various Chinese/East-Asian villains, such as Zhu Long, Mister Fixer's master (Shwen Zei, I believe?), and the acolytes of Nightmist's Master.  

There's a lot of magic in them there Himalayas!  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Ameena wrote:

Based on the name of Lilian's two cohorts I'd say there's a little touch of Norse mythology in there as well ;).

If I recall correctly, Lillian's cohorts are not anything but particularly smart birds that she named after the mythological pair.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

PlatinumWarlock wrote:
Don't forget about the various Chinese/East-Asian villains, such as Zhu Long, Mister Fixer's master (Shwen Zei, I believe?), and the acolytes of Nightmist's Master.  There's a lot of magic in them there Himalayas!  
That's true, we still know very little about any of them.  Zhu Long is probably much older than a human should be (resurrection magic, plus dragon).  We know hardly anything about The Master, although I don't think he qualifies as "ancient."

Incidentally, The Master, who is the same The Master in both Nightmist's and Mr. Fixer's stories, is "Shuen Zang" even though that's a horrible transliteration if it's supposed to be Mandarin Chinese.  But comic books did that a lot, so I suppose it's "authentic."

Submit your games here!

uu
uu's picture

I think the creature from akashs back story might come back. Since they made a point of saying they were almost completely wiped out as opposed to destroyed seem to mean to me at least they might come back

Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:
...Zhu Long is probably much older than a human should be (resurrection magic, plus dragon).  ... 
You allude to this, but I believe that Zhu Long is not human, he is a dragon who sometimes takes on human form. Remember the 'True Form' card. (Also, 'Long' means 'dragon' in Mandarin.)
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

Incidentally, The Master, who is the same The Master in both Nightmist's and Mr. Fixer's stories,

Are you sure about that? I don't remember Christopher or Adam ever saying that those two are the same person.

Wouldn't it be weird for a Cultist of Gloom to teach martial arts/harmony and bettering the world?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

MindWanderer wrote:
Incidentally, The Master, who is the same The Master in both Nightmist's and Mr. Fixer's stories, is "Shuen Zang" even though that's a horrible transliteration if it's supposed to be Mandarin Chinese.  But comic books did that a lot, so I suppose it's "authentic."

Wait, he is? I thought that Nightmist's mentor was Xian Niu.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Mr Fixer was taught by Shuen Zan and Nightmist was taught by Xian Ni

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

All three of those names refer to mythological beings from Chinese mythology; I did some digging on that a while ago...

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Well, RPG Spoilers ->   We know that Nightmist's master is alive and active as he is currently sitting on Gloomweaver's throne after ol' Gloomy was excised from Medico's Shard

I also can't help but wonder if there is more they are planning from Ancient Sumeria. This was a rather signifigant time period in Sentinels lore, since it is when the Void came back to the surface, the first Virtuoso was born, Akash'Bhuta was disposed as the "Master of the Planet" and humanity was free to spread beyond the limits she would have set upon us.

Also there isn't a lot done with Ancient Sumerian myths and I think Adam and Christopher prefer plumbing under-used mythologies more than those which receive a lot of classical western attention.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:

Oh, whoops.  Gibberish faux-Chinese names with the same nickname, easy mistake to make.  Couldn't find the latter in the wiki.
dpt wrote:

You allude to this, but I believe that Zhu Long is not human, he is a dragon who sometimes takes on human form. Remember the 'True Form' card. (Also, 'Long' means 'dragon' in Mandarin.)

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.  We don't have this spelled out explicitly, and we don't know his true origins, but in any event he's clearly not fully human, if at all.

Submit your games here!

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
MindWanderer wrote:

Oh, whoops.  Gibberish faux-Chinese names with the same nickname, easy mistake to make.  Couldn't find the latter in the wiki.

For anybody else looking, we didn't get the Master's name until the Gloomweaver episode rather than in the Nightmist one. I generally try to get spelling confirmations from Christopher (these two in particular are the ones that started the trend - I asked for some of the earlier ones later, but may have overlooked some), so even if they're only "faux-Chinese", they're the "official" spellings.