Attacking Minions While Hindered

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ErekLich
Attacking Minions While Hindered

So was running some newly-generated characters through the starter kit scenario, and I had something come up that I can't find a specific ruling on in the book.  The character was attacking a minion while he had a -2 penalty, and rolled a 2 on the die.  So his attack damage is now zero.

Against a Villain, this would have a clear (lack of) effect - no damage is dealt.  However, against a minion, it's actually unclear.  The minion was attacked, and rolled a save.  The minion (who was not penalized, and therefore automatically) beat the result of zero on its save.  But with an attack value of zero, should that minion still be reduced in die size?  Nothing in the materials released so far directly addresses this situation, and I ruled that it wasn't affected, but it seems hinky.

Does anyone know if this has been officially clarified anywhere?  Thanks!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would say the preview chapters KS backers were given don’t explicitly say anything about a minion and a zero damage attack.   However, it does make mention that a minion only goes down a die size if an attack was successful that dealt damage.  I would not consider 0 damage a successful attack and thus the minion would stay at the same die size.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
a minion only goes down a die size if an attack was successful that dealt damage.

I don't see this exact language. Under the Minon entry, I just see "when attacked," no mention of damage. Under the Attack action, I do see a reference to "a successful attack," which is not otherwise defined; there's no mention of an attack "failing."

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

This is what I’m referring to under the section Actions of Chapter 2 where it discusses attacks and as I said it doesn’t explicitly call it out.  However, it does seem to imply a successful attack is one which deals damage:

Quote:

Damage: A successful Attack deals damage to the target, which reduces the target’s Health by the amount shown on the effect die, or in the case of 
minions, causes them to make a save to stick around. When the target’s Health reaches zero, they’re knocked out. 

For Veteran Players: 
Attacks
If you’ve played popular roleplaying games before, you might be wondering “But how do I roll to hit? What if the Attack misses?” The answer is that in the Sentinel Comics RPG, every Attack “hits.” The damage dealt accounts for the target attempting to defend themselves. Not all Attacks deal damage — if the effect die is low and the defender has armor or is using the Defend action, the Attack bounces harmlessly off a shield or something — but there 
are no separate rolls for Attack vs. damage. Damage can be visualized in a number of ways. Perhaps the Attack strikes home despite the defender’s best efforts, and the damage dealt represents physical injury. Perhaps the target emerges from the Attack sweating and out of breath 
but uninjured, and the damage dealt represents fatigue and exhaustion. The target’s player narrates how the damage has affected their character

Now I will agree it is a scenario that should be spelled out explicitly in regards to minions.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

ErekLich

Yeah, this gets very wierd.  The spirit of the rules seem to say one thing, but the letter is unclear.

We actually have an even worse scenario:  I was doing further testing last night, and had a hindered minion get a result of -2 on its save.  Now in this case the attack value was like 7, so it was dead regardless, but what happens if both parties are being penalized?  If the attacker gets a 0 and the defending minion a -2, the 'spirit' of the rules is a lot less clear.

Here's hoping for an official clarification!

Powerhound_2000

I don’t know if we will get one soon but my take is that if the damage towards a minion is 0 or less no roll occurs.   The minion stays at its current die size. 

ErekLich

Yeah, that's what I'm going with for now.  I just really want the FAQ section of the rulebook :)