Ask ALL the Forumites!

332 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

What do you like to do besides playing games and hanging out on forums?

Mostly hanging out with friends and family (especially spouse), doing prep work for tabletop RPGs (just a Traveller game, right now, so I'm kind slacking), and running said tabletop RPGs (which also falls under "hanging out with friends" laugh).

There are lots of other things I do, but you asked what we like to do, so that's what you're getting. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

BlueHairedMeerkat, are you a mathematician as well?

Well, sort of; I'm a university student studying maths, so that kind of counts...

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I sing some, and I study (3rd year Medical Science).

I sew, making both toys and clothing, and occasionally I draw.

I play video games, and help make sure my university's gaming club runs smoothly.

Lately I've been playing Trail of Cthulhu on Sundays 

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

A couple of years ago, I joined a volunteer EMS in my area, and I am on-call 24/7. Periodically, I, also, get to ride with the fire department.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hey! I can answer my own question!

I like to hang out with my spouse, our cat, and friends.

I like to feel as if I'm living life intentionally. Of late, that has meant thinking about ways to decrease my spending with the goal of being able to retire sooner. That's led to things such as biking and strength exercises at home instead of driving and a gym membership, reducing how much I take to the cleaners, line drying clothes, and hand washing dishes. In conjunction with my need to drastically lower my salt intake, due to Menier's Disease, I have been cooking most of my own meals since last fall. I am in talks with some contractors about getting our windows repaired and am looking forward to doing some proper exterior house maintenance afterwards. In my radar is moving to cheaper phone and Internet plans and possibly finding replacements for cable, though that's a bit unlikely given what Spouse enjoys. We're considering getting solar panels, I'm moving towards building my enthusiasm for fixing more things around the house myself, and at some point I'm going to do things like replace flourescent bulbs and get better about unplugging unused appliances.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

arenson9 wrote:

We're considering getting solar panels

I got solar panels put on my house in CA and it didn't cost me anything at all.  I know that sounds like a sales pitch (it's not), but if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm
Spiff's Tactics site: www.spiffworld.com/tactics

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

I enjoy video gaming, watching and following sports, television series, and movies (documentaries especially), spending time with friends... all fairly common things. I'm also a bit of a history and architecture fan, especially the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, of whom I wrote my Master's Thesis. I even like volunteering for house tours. Maybe I will even go back to podcasting sometime soon!

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

unplugging unused appliances

Hey, I still have that Kill-A-Watt device that shows how much electricity a device is using while it's plugged in, if you want to see what devices will make the most difference.

And... Really I'm just posting so the next person can post a new question. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Most of my day really is consumed with watching something or playing video games, and my social times are usually made up of those things too--it's not a party with my friends unless we play something, at least once.

However, without trying to sound cliche, I love going on outdoor adventures. One of my houses is out in the middle of the country near a small mountain range, so some days I'll just grab a canoe, paddle my way over to the woods, and just see how far I can walk until I find something neat. Last time I found a fox skull. It was cool. I brought it home.

Other than that, I really do spend most of my time with my friends playing games or just generally socializing. I'm a people person at heart, so as much as I love walking alone in the woods, I need time among other people as well, and often.

EDIT:

Oh, damn, I wasn't even counting! I think I got ninja'd!

NEW QUESTION:

If you could have one entirely useless superpower, what would it be? (no practical/crime fighting abilities allowed)

I would like to be able to materialize new clothes instantly on myself. Wake up late in your pajamas and don't have time to get dressed? Boom, now you're fully dressed in a perfectly tailored suit. Have just enough money to go to a convention but couldn't finish your cosplay in time? Not a problem--just think about it and suddenly you're wearing it.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The ability to automatically know where all available parking spots are at any location.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

You had post #60, so what's the new question?

You had post #61. You don't get to ask a question.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

grysqrl wrote:

Pydro wrote:
You had post #60, so what's the new question?

You had post #61. You don't get to ask a question.

You had post #62, you get to answer the question in post #60 (yeah yeah, we all know it's been edited in later).

I would like the useless power to produce a glass of tap water whenever I want, never will I need to carry a flask/thermos again!

EDIT: In order to make this power useless I would make the water out of the water within my own body, thus I would never actually be able to quench my thirst, huzzah!

Wait... I just described peeing in a glass, yuck.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Some of y'all's useless superpowers seem pretty useful.

I would like the ability to see air

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

All of the "entirely useless" superpowers so far sound pretty useful.

I would like the ability to temporarily (and safely) disable one/all of my senses (including activating varying degrees of colorblindness). I'm sure there's a way to make this useful, but I think it would be more interesting than anything.

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

I'd like the ability to read my own mind. I mean, I'm sure we've all had moments we look back on and go, "what the hell was I thinking?" This way, I'll be able to tell what I'm thinking as I'm thinking, and hopefully do less regrettable stuff as a consequence :P

-Reckless

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

That's a tough one.  I think an entirely useless superpower would become annoying rather than remain desirable, but just to try...

The ability to hear conversations anywhere in the world as long as they're in a language you can't understand and are incapable of repeating phonetically.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Binocular vision.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Christopher wrote:

Binocular vision.

I'm going, with cavalier disregard for my own knowledge, to assume that this means everything you see looks like a pair of binoculars.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

So! T'all you fine dandies - so proud, so cocksure, prancin' aboot with your heads full of eyeballs! Come and get me I say!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Christopher wrote:

So! T'all you fine dandies - so proud, so cocksure, prancin' aboot with your heads full of eyeballs! Come and get me I say!

I don't play TF2, sorry.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

Binocular vision.

Working joints

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'd like to be able to recall any piece of information, providing it's entirely irrelevant to the situation. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

I want the ability to recognize the brand of reed used in a particular woodwind instrument by sniffing it. 

It doesn't get much more useless than that. You can't even win a decent bar bet with that ability.

Another useless superpower might be 'Total advertisment recall', because I usually remember the tv spot, but forget what they were trying to sell- which is actually a good thing! If I could remember every ad I ever saw in detail, my brain would be crunchy toast pretty quickly. And I would own so many cars and cleaning products!

Semper ludens.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, remembering an advert wouldn't necessarily make you buy whatever it was advertising ;).

My useless superpower would be that of teleportation...but the target is always a random dust speck (from anywhere, and I don't know which one) and the destination is the heart of the Sun. And it only works once every twelve hours.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

My useless superpower would be that whenever I need to make a choice between two things, I will always choose wrong. If people want to know where to go, just go the opposite direction of where I tell them.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

EvanDan55 wrote:

If you could have one entirely useless superpower, what would it be? (no practical/crime fighting abilities allowed)

To enjoy the taste of anything I ate.  The possibilities are endless.  Some practical, and some gross.  It'd sure save time ordering something when you made it to the front of a long line in the food court.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Have people understand the context of what I am saying before I say it. It would save quite a bit of time.

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Fine, I'll make mine more useless.

The ability to stop my fingernails from growing.

Or to be able to erase my own memory. I'd go all Eternal Sunshine on my memory of my favorite video games so I could experience them like new over and over and over.

Next person asks the question!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I would keep my own superpower:  knowing exactly when the microwave is about to buzz!

NEW QUESTION!

Aside from SotM, what's your current favorite board game?

Mine would probably be Arkham Horror.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I'm fond of Clue. My family has a tradition of playing it when we get together. The game turns into a contest to see if any of us can figure it out before Dad decides he feels like winning now.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Julia
Playtester

Hm, that took me a moment or two. Too many games I love. But the winner is...

Battlestar Galactica. Brilliant show, awesome board game. It is pretty much the perfect combination of theme and game play. You can't really play it with all the expansion elements, because then it becomes horrifingly overstuffed, but on the whole, I never played a game of BSG that I didn't enjoy.

Semper ludens.

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Does the game strictly need a board?  Because I'm caught up with Hanabi and Love Letter at the moment.  Then again, Sentinels doesn't have a board...and if there is anything I've learned from Shut Up and Sit Down, it's that a game needs a board and rolling dice or it's a terrible game.

What were we talking about?

Right.

If it needs a board then I'd have to go with BattleCon.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Dominion.  I'd like to play more of it, I just need to find a way to manage that with my usual group.  A similar situation exists for Smallworld.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Difficult to decide! I have a lot of games I'm really enjoying right now.

I love Tigris and Euphrates but I've only played once with actual people (usually play against AI on iPad). I also very much enjoy Dixit, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Eight Minute Empire: Legends, Carcassonne, Coloretto, and I'm desperate to play Dominant Species more because it's awesome.

Do I really have to pick only one?

Damn it, Ronway!

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I'm rather fond of Tales of the Arabian Nights and Mansions of Madness.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

BlueHairedMeerkat
Playtester

Right now, my favourite non-Sentinels game would probably be Penultima. It's just so much ridiculous fun.

The game is for 3-8 players, and in theory only needs a chess board, though I've seen it also use a Diplomacy board, SotM health tokens, dice, and pieces and decks of cards from several other games. The board is set up for a chess game, and two people (the players) are chosen to actually play the game, but the other people (the spectators) make up the rules for how the pieces move - and they don't tell the players. Instead, on their turn a player must ask yes/no questions about whether their pieces can move in certain ways. These questions can be as general ('can any of my pieces move to the far side of the board?') or specific ('can I move this rook onto his queen?'), and they can ask as many questions as they need, but if what they ask is possible then they're locked in to that course of action. Instead of moving a piece, a player can also (if possible) activate a piece for some manner of special ability, which are frequently ridiculous. The goal is to take the enemy king (unless somebody changes it, which is possible).

Highlights that I've seen include:

• Dirty bombs that turn pieces they hit into mindless zombies.
  • A queen who shrinks the chessboard when activated.
  • Castles that, when moved, are deconstructed, carried across the board and eventually rebuilt on the target square.
  • Queens having affairs with enemy kings.
  • Pawns which, when captured, appear on a nearby Diplomacy board and must battle their way to the other side in order to return to the chessboard.
  • A king who earns money by being on the far side of the board, which he can then use to buy enemy pieces.

-Reckless

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

There are other games?

I'd have a hard time choosing. Frontrunners right now include Hanabi, Eminent Domain, Mice and Mystics, and Race for the Galaxy. I play a lot of Canasta, too, but that's more of a traditional card game.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Hmmm... It really is hard to narrow it down to one, I think for me right now it would have to be Dreadball, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I am playing with a group of friends with whom board games just hadn't clicked before... but being a group of big sports fans and fantasy league enthusiasts our little Dreadball League has really been a huge hit. 

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I can't just choose one. Pandemic, Letters from Whitechapel, Alien Frontiers, RoboRally, Mice & Mystics, Eclipse, Spyrium, Galaxy Trucker, Race for the Galaxy. There are too many to choose. I will say that I tend toward brain-bending, high interaction Euros, but (obviously from that list) that's not a limiter.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Smash Up, Battlecon, Zombicide, and Mice & Mystics are some of my favorites.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Paranormal Investigator.

Kickstarter game but I was able to test it with my own crappy handmade version.  Quick dirty and fun, the best part is the theme, just have to be in character when you play.

And since I missed it and want to answer it:

Useless super power:  After eating any food gain the ability to speak and understand the appropriate language from the food's origin, losing any other languages when you do.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Battlecon for me right now. I like fighting games, and I'm just now getting into the board game scene, so why not have both? It's perfect.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cosmic Encounter. It is the only game I have played for three days straight (not 1 long game), with only taking the mandatory breaks (food, sleep, etc.). Everyone knew it was my game, and ganged up on me the entire time. I didn't even share a win all three days, but it was usually me who decided who won the games. It was a fantastic time.

While walking through Toys R Us, I bought the Avalon Hill edition on a whim. It only has 20 powers and can allow only up to 4 players, but my edition is falling apart from being used so much. With a buddy's help, we found an Eon Edition with a bunch of expansions, and even picked up a Games Workshop version. I haven't played the Mayfair one, but I picked up the Fantasy Flight versions as soon as it came out. Now I have every Fantasy Flight version sleeved, so it won't fall apart again.

With Cosmic Encounter, you either love it or hate it (go either/or fallacy!), and I love it. Is it balanced? No, but it isn't suposed to be. Is it crazy and hectic? Yes. In fact, it was the game that inspired Richard Garfield to make Magic: The Gathering.

There are a lot of reasons it is my favorite game, but here are two:

1) No down time. You can lpay a game with eight people, and never feel bored.

2) Perhaps, more importantly, it has one of my favorite mechanics in any game: You can't get a new hand of cards, until you use all of your old ones. This forces you to use your bad cards, and not just rely on the good ones. It always feels great when you think of a great way to get rid of a low number.

@imprimis5

If I make it to GenCon, I will bring it.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Pydro wrote:

Blah blah blah Cosmic Encounter

Man, if you make it to GenCon, I'd totes be down for a game of CE. I've only got the base FFG edition (no expansions), but that would be a blast.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hmmm ... it's quite rare that I play other games. I'll say Mu, for old times sake.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152/mu-more

tarsonas

my current fave is a few .... star realms, smash up, last night on earth, cosmic encounters and agricola.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

GtG games aside, Arkham Horror and Powergrid are up there. I have really enjoyed Euphoria since I got it from kickstarter. Thats been growing on me fast. And Dread Pirate always has a spot on the table because pirates and treasure map board.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Pydro wrote:

Cosmic Encounter. You can lpay a game with eight people, and never feel bored.

Trust me, I can feel bored with any number of players if the game's Cosmic Encounter. I can't stand it and find it incredibly dull, even the bits that everyone thinks are the most fun in the world.

Mind you, I almost died of boredom playing Arkham Horror too and so many other people love it, so it might just be that I'm broken. Other popular games I dislike: Settlers of Catan, The Resistance, Tsuro, Elder Sign, Munchkin.

Damn it, Ronway!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

BattleCon, by a longshot. I actually like it MORE than Sentinels.

Oh no, I have to ask a question.

Um.

Which Sentinels hero do you relate to the most, and why?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

To answer my own question:

Setback. I'm making a list of things that I have cut myself on (differentiating from a scratch in that a cut draws at least one drop of blood) which includes, but is not limited to:

A bagel

some marinara sauce

a cardboard box

a paper towel dispenser

at least 3 knives

and more!

But, despite being absurdly accident-prone, I can be pretty lucky and am able to maneuver myself out of potentially bad situations.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pages