Are there core books following the starter kit?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
wednesdayboy
Are there core books following the starter kit?

Hi all,

Is the Sentinels RPG starter kit like the D&D starter kit, where the starter is just a primer and there will be core books that have all of the starter kit content and more?  Or is the starter kit the rulebook for the game?

Thanks for the insight!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

There is supposed to be a KS next year for a core rulebook.  So these are going to be just primers.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

wednesdayboy

Awesome! Thanks for the info!!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

There are a *ton* of books planned, starting out with a full core rulebook, complete with character creation rules.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

wednesdayboy

Great, thanks!

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

What is the difference between a primer and a rulebook in this case? Does that mean you cannot play a created character in the Starter Kit until the Core Rulebook comes out?

I never play tabletop so this is like a foreign language to me. Christopher spoke about something like 10 books being in the Starter Kit...what is a book even? Surely for $20, a book is like 5 pages long right?

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

In a Starter Kit you get premade character sheets for various characters--in this case the F5+i--a premade adventure or three to put those characters through, and a basic ruleset that covers just what you need to know how to use the characters in and out of combat.

WalkingTarget posted (with permission) pics of part of Legacy's book over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sentinelsmultiverse/comments/6vyczh/legacy_char... Since he left out a couple pages of things like rule explanations, each character booklet at least really is about 5 pages long in this case.

I'm hoping the core book will give us stats for the other main SotM characters too; it'd be really fascinating/useful for a number of reasons.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@much0gust0

Those are really good questions!

The Starter Kit is intended to teach people the super fun system we've come up with, let players know some of the stuff that is going on in the world, and be very accessible to new players. If you are a veteran RPG player, the Starter Kit is great fun, but if you are a *new* RPG player, the Starter Kit is absolutely the best way to get into the game.

The Starter Kit will consist of 13 booklets (staple bound sheets, kind of like a comic book). Six of these booklets will be pre-made characters, like the Legacy booklet that WalkingTarget posted. They'll have character sheets, back story, and a lot of annotatations and explanations for new players, and will be 8 pages each (including the front and back covers. One booklet will be a bit longer, and will be a rules overview for playing the system. It is important for the GM to read and understand this book, but not all of the players do if the GM is willing to explain things as they go during the first session. The final six books are a six-issue adventure path (what we call a "Collection"). They take the PCs through an adventure, and contain all sorts of different ways the story could go, depending on player choice. They also have a lot of tips and explanations of how to run a scene that are aimed at a brand-new GM. We really want people who have never run an RPG before to be able to step into running the Starter Kit and come away with a basic idea of how to run a game!

The core rulebook will expand greatly upon the rules overview book from the Starter Kit and cover a lot more edge cases in the rules. It will also contain full character creation rules for making your own characters, a bunch of pre-generated heros, detailed scene, villain, environment, and minion creation rules for the GM, pregenerated villains, minions, etc. for the GM to use, and some one-shot adventures.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Hey Paul. Since you are looking around here now a day can you let us know when the Starter Kit hits the printers? I want to know when I should check into my Comic store to if they got it in yet? I am worried that they will forget/not get it. They been good about it 70% of the time. 

There is going to be an opening for a new game to start in a November and I wanted to Propse this system.  I know the full thing will not be out for a bit but as a veteran RPGer could I hobble enough to start a new game with the starter kit?

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

speedyolrac wrote:
... Since you are looking around here now a day can you let us know when the Starter Kit hits the printers? I want to know when I should check into my Comic store to if they got it in yet? ...
Speaking more generally, my understanding is that it helps publishers a lot of you pre-order a product from your FLGS as soon as you know you're interested. The pre-orders at stores go to the distributors, who then decide how much to order by multiplying the pre-orders by some factor, which then goes to the publisher who can then order a larger print run if called for.
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

One thing I'd want to know is, for the Starter-kit, what's the recomended amount of players  a game would need to propperly run the adventures it comes with? I doubt I can get a full team of six, but I can usually scrounge up around 3-4 players. I may be able to fill out all of the FV if I'm lucky.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@speedyolrac

Right now we expect that it will be in stores in December, but I'll post more updates on the forum as I get them in my State of GTG monthly posts! That said, you should *definitely* have your store preorder some from their prefered distributor. All of the North American distributors have it in their system now, so if your local store has any trouble ordering any, have them email me about it and I'll speak with their distributor :)

Also, you could definitely put together a follow-up adventure to the Starter Kit if you have some GM experience! The only major thing you'll be missing are the character creation rules, and a bunch of more advanced stuff, but neither are necessary if you just use the premade characters that come with the starter kit.

@Phantom5613

The game is definitely built to be run with anywhere from 3-6 PCs! If you don't have the full FV, don't sweat it!