Any Interest in a Minecraft Server?

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul
Paul's picture
Admin
Any Interest in a Minecraft Server?

I occationally have a tiny bit of free time in the middle of the night, and recently thought that it might be fun to fill that time with Minecraft. Ideally, I'd love to play on a server with a fairly large number of people, good moderation, and various admin plugins. If such a server were to start using, say, CraftBukkit and a few economy mods, would people be interested in paying ~$1/month to play in it?

EDIT: The server is now live! Go to http://minesofproduction.com/ to read about some of the details and pay if you want to join (the website will possibly get less crappy looking in time :) ). The server is also minesofproduction.com - anyone can log on to the server and look around (but not build or interact) without paying.

EDIT 2: Fixed link above.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Edited by: Paul on Sep 10 2012 - 11:00pm
Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I would be willing to join in on that server. Might actually get me back into playing minecraft.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I'd love to play some Minecraft, obviously, but I don't have the time or money. Sorry.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Hmm... I've never played Mincraft before, but I have watched a seven year old girl play it. I told her the game seems rather absurd.  She asked what that meant.  Her mother said that it's a way to say "That's really silly." Then she replied "Why doesn't he just say that?"

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

The Conscience
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:

Hmm... I've never played Mincraft before, but I have watched a seven year old girl play it. I told her the game seems rather absurd.  She asked what that meant.  Her mother said that it's a way to say "That's really silly." Then she replied "Why doesn't he just say that?"

Sounds like they kind of missed the point of english class. I am in the same boat as Christopher when it comes to time and money, though. It's okay, we have lots of yummy snacks and work to keep us entertained.

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I have absurd ammounts of free time and love Minecraft. My friends and I had a server we were playing on here at WKU, and we've put a pretty decent ammount of effort into it, but sadly we can't get it up and running again.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I spoke with my brother this weekend, and he is really excited about getting it going. He spent a bunch of time looking into making it work, and it looks like it is going to be cool. Prominent features (above and beyond vanilla minecraft) will be:

1) Chest/Furnace/Dispenser protection (i.e., you can create a chest/furnace/dispenser and place a sign next to it that makes it so that only you (and others you specify) can open or destroy the chest/furnace/dispenser)

2) Money - everyone will have a balance of "money" that they earn slowly over time and can spend to buy diamonds and use some teleporters for fast transportation, etc

3) Trading - ability to create "vending machine" signs where you sell some item(s) (or money) in exchange for some other item(s) (or money) (e.g., "Trade 1 bread for $2" or "Trade $5 for 20 wood", etc. These will work even if you are not logged in, allowing you to sell things all the time

It should be fun! If all the config stuff gets worked out in the next week or two, I'll post the URL and joining info for those who are interested.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

1) Chest/Furnace/Dispenser protection (i.e., you can create a chest/furnace/dispenser and place a sign next to it that makes it so that only you (and others you specify) can open or destroy the chest/furnace/dispenser)

Sounds like the Lockette mod, if it is then it can also be used to lock doors as well, which happens to make double doors work as well as it will open/close both doors when you use them.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Will this require us to download any mods for those things? Because I'm going to be honest: I'm not very savvy with mods and whatnot. But I'll still do my best to do whatever is required to join the server. I'd love to be a part of this.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Nope, all the mods will be on the server side. All anyone will have to do to join is point their minecraft client at the right URL!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Woohoo, now my skin will actually be recognizable to other people. (I use Tempest by the way)

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

Uh, anyway you could open up the server for those who have, shall we say, a less than legal version of the game? And would still pay the $1 monthly of course

"Good men don't need rules. Now is not the day to find out why I have so many" - the Doctor

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Might as well get a legal version of Minecraft. It's a low-cost game, especially for all the content you get. 

Also, this opinion of mine is certainly based in being a content creator.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah dude, support Minecraft. They deserve the support. It's only like $20. Besides, then you can play with others with no hassle.

And good, if no mods are involved, that's all the better. I'm looking forward to this. Maybe I can see if my other friends want to join since our server doesn't want to work. So much work, gone. But that's the story of Minecraft.

So, when this starts up, what's our first priority? Obviously we can all just part ways and build our own stuff, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees the benefit of making a central town near or around the spawn point. We can divide up the work easily. I'll be honest; I'm not the best at making elaborate/stylized buildings. Anyone consider themselves architecturally creative?

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

<----- Poor college student.

If I get extra spending money then yeah, I'll definatly get Minecraft. As it stands, food trumps video games :/

"Good men don't need rules. Now is not the day to find out why I have so many" - the Doctor

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

<----- Exact same situation

Though I do have the distinct advantage of hardly needing to eat. It's a side effect of my medication.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I just updated the original post with the server address since it is now online! It is minesofproduction.com (also, you can go to that URL in your browser to read some overview stuff on the website or pay to join, etc, if you are so inclined)

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

The site only shows some links, nothing about the minecraft server. Did you forget to publish the website after working on it?

Card Templates

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I see the problem now, the site is

http://minesofproduction.com/

not

http://www.minesofproduction.com/

The link in the first post needs fixed.

Card Templates

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Thanks!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Alright, so I paid $10 for the year benefit. Guess I'll be getting an e-mail sometime asking what my name is? I'm gonna go ahead and check it out though and see what all has already been done to it, it anything.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Don't see a edit button anymore... Hmmm... But anyways I am all hooked up now and getting ready to adventure, but sadly it is night time so I am a little stuck. Already killed by a spider too, woohoo.

FanaticLover

I think I'll donate sometime in this next week. I can't wait to kill some creepers with you guys! ^.^

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Ooh, welcome! I haven't had a lot of time to play (what with working on GTG and having a kid), but it looks like things are developing pretty quickly! There are already some stores and things that have been created near the spawn point!

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

For anyone here that is on the server, what are your usernames? Trying to fit names to people here, some are obvious, but others aren't.

Mine is KogaWolfe.

Card Templates

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I am alataristarion when I'm on. Also, I'm liking all the stores and stuff that are beginning to develop!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh, had no idea you were alataristarion, I was wondering which one you were.

I'm Ronway by the way (probably one of the obvious ones.)

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I do not yet have a MineCraft client, so yeah.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

Darn it, I bought minecraft and a year. Waiting to be accepted

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Just noticed that Amazon is not processing payments for the account. I am looking into it right now to see if I can clear this up...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

It looks like your payment is pending while Amazon approves various things about the Amazon payments account. In the mean time, send minesofproduction@gmail.com an email with your user name, and I'll get you set up - I trust that the payment will go through, and the more people on the server the better :)

Singlog
Singlog's picture
Playtester

It's my forum name haha'

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Singlog

You should be set up now it looks like!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Sorry that I haven't been on too much lately. Recently got addicted to Disgaea 3. May only be on for a little bit here and there since I picked up Resident Evil 6 tonight aswell.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

What happened to the server?

Card Templates

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

People stopped playing, and then the server files got corrupted and it got shut down. However, if there is still some interest, I would love to set it up again. I actually just got access to some several year old but quite powerful servers that I have very little use for. Once I get a bit of time, I will probably set one up in the GTG warehouse and put Minecraft on it...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

If someone here sets up a server, I might check it out - I've not played on someone else's server before. Normally I just play single player, or on my own server (hosted by a company called Kerplunc, aka Treepuncher). Haven't played too much since the last big patch went in, so haven't encountered any horses yet (but seen 'em when the Yogscast covered them in a snapshot vid before the patch was released).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I still don't really understand what Minecraft is. I've read about it, checked out the Wikipedia page, seen screenshots, etc, and can't work it out.

What do you actually do apart from moving bits of stuff around to build things for the fun of it? Where's the game? Is it one of these things you have to play to "get"?

Just wondering if it's the kind of thing I'd like.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Basically, it's a game in which you can do whatever you want. There are two moeds in which you can play - Survival and Creative. In Creative Mode, you have access to (just about) all blocks and items, to place at will in whatever quantities you like. You also can't be killed by monsters or whatever. This is the mode for people who want to just mess around building uber stuff (when gathering the resources in Survival Mode would be too much hard work, etc) and generally be cretive (as the name implies). It can also be for people who want to experiment building something that would require a lot of resources in Survival Mode and they want to test it out in Cretive first before they commit to it in their "proper" game. There's also a third mode, Adventure Mode, to which you can set yourself via a typed command in-game. In this one you can't break or place blocks - it's intended for people playing through custom maps made by other people (so it feels a bit more like an RPG and you're not tempted to cheat by breaking walls, etc(

Survival Mode is the "proper" game. You spawn in a randomly-generated world with nothing and must gather resources etc to survive, build yourself a house (or dig a cave, or otherwise construct for yourself some kind of base/shelter), and generally live in the world. Everything is made of blocks - the ground, the trees, the water, etc. You acquire these blocks by punching them or hitting them with the right kind of tool - you need a pickaxe to mine stone, for example. You will start by punching trees to get the wood blocks, which you can then craft into a very important block called a crafting table. You can then place this on the ground and access it - to craft stuff, you place blocks in the grid in the right configuration. You have a crafting grid in your inventory but it's only 2x2 squares and there are many things you can't craft in a grid that small. The grid on a crafting table is 3x3, enough space to craft anything. A good early step is to grab some wood to make a crafting table and create a wooden pickaxe - this is enough to mine stone, which you can then do in order to make yourself a stronger stone pickaxe. This is strong enough to mine iron ore, which can be smelted in a furnace (crafted from stone) to make an iron pickaxe. There are other tools you can make - shovel (for dirt, sand, etc), axe (for wood), and hoe (for tilling dirt to convert it in to farmland to plant crops), and swords (though they're obviously weapons rather than tools). Anyway, you'll be wanting to find some coal in order to mine that and use it with wooden sticks to create torches, which you can place to light up the area.

You have about ten minutes before it gets dark (when you load into a new map it's always dawn). Monsters (such as zombies, spiders, and the iconic creeper) spawn in the dark, so you need to get yourself somewhere safe before then, even if all you do is dig a little hole and hide in it (your character is two blocks high). It's possible to craft a bed (from wood and wool, the latter most commonly acquired from sheep) in order to rest in it and skip to morning - note that you can only do this in multiplayer if everyone sleeps at the same time. Using a bed (even if you're in multiplayer) will reset your spawn point to that bed's location, so if you die you'll respawn there rather than at the point where you first entered the world.

That's pretty much the basics, really. Once you've got yourself some kind of base set up, you can set about enhancing it (you know, making it look a bit better than a dirt shack/hole in the ground, etc), planting crops/breeding creatures for food, going underground mining and exploring (there are randomly-generated cave systems and abandoned mines and stuff which can have chests of stuff in them), building a portal to the Nether (a world of fire and lava and stuff with lots of ways to die horribly...more so than the surface world, but also containing plenty of handy items/resources that you'll probably want for stuff), killing monsters to get exp to spend on enchanting your gear (tools/weapons/armour) with cool properties (once you've built an enchanting table)...ah, there is so much stuff you can do!

I did actually write a newbie guide to Minecraft a while back. It's at minecrafttips.com if you wanted to have a more detailed look - it has screenshots and everything :). It was done before the last big patch, though, so some of the most recent stuff (such as horses) isn't mentioned in it. It's enough to give you an idea, though. There's also a video series on YouTube by a group called the Yogscast - I was rewatching it recently, actually...it started back when Minecraft was still in Alpha so there's loads of stuff that isn't in the game yet at that point. What else...oh yeah, there's a free version to download somewhere (I think there's a link from the Minecraft Wiki), called "Minecraft Classic", I believe. It's an older version of Minecraft so lacks many of the features of the current version, but it's enough to give oyu an idea - playing this after watching the first few Yogscast vids was enough to convince me to get the game. I've had it since Beta 1.8, a couple of years ago. Good stuff!

Whee, long post, and probably more than you wanted to know! Oh well ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Thanks Ameena, that's really helpful and now I understand it a lot better. Starting to think I really should look out for this, sounds like fun. :)

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

You can always find that free, Classic version and download that. I first found out about Minecraft by hearing people talking about it (online and IRL), then someone on another forum linked the first Yogscast Minecraft vid, so I watched that (it's the first in a long series which hasn't finished yet but is currently on hold because their server got corrupted so they're having to recreate everything and stuff, but it'll be back some day) and thought the game looked cool. Then I downloaded the Classic version and played around with that for a bit, decided I liked the game so went ahead and bought the full version - it was about £14 quid at the time I think (still in Beta), but is more like £17 or so now.

Obviously there's much, much more to it than I described above, but I was just trying to give the most basic outline for you. The Minecraft Wiki has detailed info on anything you could want to know, and the site I linked (Minecraft Tips) is a nice long newbie guide explaining the basics of most of the main mechanics and stuff, at least up to version 1.5-ish. But if you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Bumping this thread to see whether anyone was still interested in some kind of >G Minecraft server or something, since it sounded like that was going to be a thing at some point. I also have my own, private server but the maximum number of people who can be online at once is only five (I just got the cheapest server type I could, basically, since there were only two of us likely to use it regularly), but I may be willing to give one or two people the login details (and add them to the whitelist) if anyone is interested. The latest big patch (1.7.2) went in last night so there's new biomes and flowers and tree types and a whole load of other stuff now in the game.

Apart from that, I just generally like chatting about Minecraft anyway so if anyone's interested go ahead and ask/say something ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

So! Something did happen briefly, but the friend who was maintaining it ran out of time to do so, and it kind of fell apart. I have recently made steps toward reviving it, however: I have gotten a several-year-old but very powerful server from an old company that went out of business, and have it in the GTG warehouse. We have a spot near our router where I intend to stick it and let it run sometime soon. I haven't played Minecraft in about a year, but I would love to have somewhere to occationally play and see awesome things made by other people!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Cool :). Well, I don't mind giving you the login details to my own server if you just want to mess around for a bit on one rather than go to the trouble of setting up your own - right now it's just me and my partner who use it, though my dad is off work next week and says he'll log on for a bit during that time (he hasn't been on it for ages). We have a base set up and have explored a pretty sizeable area so can point you to some interesting locations and give you a bit of food and stuff to start you off if you like ;).

If you end up setting up your own server I'll see about paying it a visit at some point too :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Just thought I'd mention that I'm a new Minecraft convert... Been playing a couple of weeks and only semi know what I'm doing, but it's pretty cool. Only done single player so far. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Goovy :D. Feel free to bug me on Skype any time if you have questions or anything - the Wiki is great for looking up pretty much anything but in case you generally want to chat about the game, let me know and if I'm available then maybe we can talk ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yeah, I've been trawling the wiki a lot. So much helpful stuff! Your guide is great too Ameena, so thanks for that. :)

I have the beginnings of a tower to live in, a branch mine, a little farm with sugar cane, wheat and carrots, a field full of rainbow sheep and pens of pigs, chickens and cows, and underground oak tree farm, with a basic wall around everything. Early days.

I'm not so good at making things look nice though!

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Sounds like you've got a reasonable base set up - food isn't an issue for you, you have farms for each of the four resource-producing farmable species, you've got sugar cane for whenever you get round to building an enchanting area (need fifteen bookshelves to max out the enchantment levels provided by an Enchantment Table), and presumably you've got at least a small stockpile of various resources from your mine. And even if you haven't managed to find any diamonds yet, it's still possible to build a Nether Portal (whenever you decide you want to go to the Nether) as long as you have access to a lava pool and at least one bucket :).

Having a wall around your base is something I don't tend to get around to doing myself...but that said I tend to set up by building into a hill so don't really need protection on all sides. Plus I skip night time unless I want to actually go out and kill stuff, so creatures attacking aren't really a problem. Note that if your wall is currently a two-block-high layer of dirt or cobblestone or something, you can make it look a bit nicer by using a wooden or cobblestone fence instead - fences are one-and-a-half blocks high so stuff can't jump over them (except horses with a good enough jump ability).

If you want, I can give you my server details if you want to pop by some time and say hi - I've not played much Minecraft in the past few weeks (other than logging in to "draw" Mr Chomps) as me and Ja'Ph' have been playing Borderlands 2, but I can log in and show you around and stuff. There was an issue with the server crashing any time a player got too far away from any other players, but there has been a patch since then so I don't know if that got fixed. We wouldn't be far enough apart for that to happen anyway, if it's still an issue :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Last night I got horses, yay! Found a desert temple and there was a saddle and some diamond horse armour in one of the chests. :) I've been wanting horses ever since I found them - next, a donkey, since I spotted a herd on my travels.

It'd be fun to have a look at your world!

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Horses are pretty cool (though very laggy to ride in multiplayer games, last time I tried). And of course donkeys are cool as well, and cute :). You can make a lead from string (x4) and a slimeball in order to lead them around and tie them to fence posts(works on cows and stuff too).

Maybe we can meet up on Skype some time (where we'll be able to tell that we're both online together) and I can give you a tour of my server :). I haven't been back to it for a while now, though, and the base I'd built wasn't complete at the time so it still looks a bit crap. I've been building a different kind of base every time I make a new world on the server. I've had several that were built into a hill/mountain - a few have had different-coloured rooms linked by corridors, whereas another was more kind of "open plan", with the entrance at ground level and some stairs down to the various "rooms", which were set back into the walls all around the open cave. Another time (in one of the older worlds I made), I hollowed out the entirety of a mountain and replaced the surface with glass, then dug a crater beneath said mountain and filled it with lava, building a spiral stairway (of glass) down to the Nether Portal, which was on a (glass) platform between the mountain and the lava pit. There was a bridge (which was going to be made of obsidian but I never finished it) leading from the mountain to the land. That was a cool base :). Anyway, the current one has all the usual "rooms" in their own little buildings, so it looks like a sort of village thingy. There's a real village very close by, as well, though it doesn't really have much in it any more. And some of the buildings may have caught slightly on fire a few times when I was messing around with a lava bucket (they're really good for clearing forests if you can't be arsed to keep remaking axes and/or flints-and-steel, though it does take a while) :D.

I may even remake the world again - I can't remember whether I did or not after the world-changing patch went in and added all the new biomes, causing some very long, sheer, vertical walls all around the perimeter of the explored world (where chunk generation changed with the patch, so the newly-generated chunks clash very noticeably with the ones that had been generated before the patch). I can't remember whether that was in this world, or the one before, lol - I've made so many.

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

So how's it going in Minecraft? I logged into my server briefly the other day, to remind myself of what our settlement looks like - this isn't the world with all the vertical walls, so I did remake it since then :).  There is a massive Desert off to the west with a Savannah on the other side. I think there was a Flower Forest over there, too. I think the only new biome I've not discovered yet is a Mesa. Oh, and that one with all the ice spire thingys. Andw hatever one has that podizal stuff on the ground. But all of those are pretty rare, I think.

I did find my first ever Mushroom biome at one point - might have even been in this world, actually. I should go back and explore, and fill in more maps to get a wider area.

I am the Wordweaver...