Another rules question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ErekLich
Another rules question

So looking through the starter kit scenario, I noticed that the T-Rex has a bonus to Overcome checks.

But then I started thinking about it, and realized that either I am missing something or else the T-Rex has no reason to ever use an Overcome action!

In fact, outside of specialized things like Baron Blade reactivating his systems, there seems to be no reason for *any* NPC to Overcome.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

degausser

You can be creative in your overcomes, and so can your players!  One overcome I allow is to have PCs overcome to discover enemy abilities or weaknesses. There could also be an overcome to lead him away from the PCs, if they don’t want to kill an innocent(ish) mind controlled T-Rex

Another option is to require a number of overcomes equal to, say, 1/2 to 1/3 of his die size to defeat him nonviolently.  I believe Paul did something like that in sentinel comics live issue six vs the final villain.

ErekLich

I believe you've misunderstood my question.  I was asking about reasons for the T-Rex to *take* an Overcome action, not ways to take one against him!

degausser

Oh, sorry.

I rule that any actor in a scene can use an overcome to remove a persistent hinder, but that’s not an official rule I think.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, it's not.  The intended way to remove a persistent penalty is to boost.  Every point of boost reduces the value of the penalty by 1.  So if you have a -3 persistent penalty, you can reduce it to -1 by boosting for +2, or eliminate it entirely by boosting for +3 or higher.  (If you boost for +4 with the intent to get ride of a -3 penalty, you don't get to keep the change.)

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

The heroes might well put obstacles in the way of other actors. For instance, if Absolute Zero built an ice wall entirely around the T-Rex, I think it would be an Overcome for the T-Rex to escape.

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

You could have an NPC use an overcome action to advance the scene tracker a space, to convince neutral NPCs to back them instead of the heroes, to work though an "Escape!" challenge to flee once their status drops to a certain point, to undo a box checked off by a hero on a challenge, to take hostages to create a challenge for the heroes to overcome, to move elsewhere in the scene forcing an overcome from the heroes to follow, and so on.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.