All Purpose Starter Kit Spoiler Thread

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture
All Purpose Starter Kit Spoiler Thread

I'm getting things together to run the Starter Kit for my gaming group and I had a couple of questions. 

Firstly, and this is sort of a lore question, but how does the Freedom Five get from points A to B? Legacy and Tachyon obviously can get there on their own. And while Wraith and Unity are light enough for Tachyon to carry, she couldn't carry both. Similarly, it would be awkward for Legacy to carry Bunker and Absolute Zero, especially for long distances. Is there a Freedom Flier or some other kind of transport they use in the canon? More or less just a jet or helicopter or something?  

Secondly, what exactly does Visionary tell the Freedom Five Plus Unity at the end of FF#802? Is it a vague "I sense you are needed in Russia, Insula Primalis and Egypt" or is it more specific? 

Lastly, in Tome of the Bizarre, my reading is that the Heroes go to the real Tomb of Anubis, but it's booby trapped so when they walk into it, they get teleported to the fake Tomb of Anubis, but in a way that's so subtle that they won't realize it until later. Is that the case? If so, why is Visionary sending them into a trap? This sort of connects back to the previous question.

Thanks!!!

Edited by: rickjonzz on Dec 11 2017 - 5:27pm
rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

The starter kit mentions  "The Freedom Jet" a few times.  But for the real canon answer, I think we have to look to Christopher's Twitter background. https://twitter.com/GTGChristopher

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

Visionary isn't intentionally sending them into a trap. She's being misled into believing the new Anubis is in the Tomb of Anubis, presumably by Miss Information's super weird reality warping powers, and she's pretty busy preparing to defend Akash'Flora and Megalopolis from a ton of robots, so she asks the heroes to find people to help with that.

The reason she sends the Freedom Five on these missions at all is the fact that she knows other heroes that would be very helpful in dealing with the incoming Megalopolis crisis are in the places she's sending the them.

rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture

Just so I can keep things straight, this is what I think happened, from Baron Blade's perspective.

During OblivAeon, BB sees that the tide has turned and since the world is no longer about to end, he doesn't need to hang around and get arrested. He fakes his death and bails with an OblivAeon Shard.

BB sees the Akash'Flora tree with all that delicious power and decides he needs it to power a new robot army.

He puts together a new army of minions and robots and sets up the undersea base near Megapolis. He builds the new robots in a way that it's not obviously his work, since he (presumably) wants to see Legacy's face when he returns in glory.

(The next few things don't necessarily have to happen in this order, but it makes the most sense to me.)

He gives some robots to Miss Information in return for her promising to use some of them to keep the Freedom Five busy when he needs a distraction.

He takes his Shard to Russia and sticks it in his old experimental generator as part of an alpha test of the Infernal Machine that's going to tap the tree's power. It does not go as planned and he bails, leaving the Shard in the reactor. (Then Proletariat shows up, hoping to shut down the reactor, but it makes his powers go wild. And then Fantatic shows up, making things worse.)

He goes to Insula Primalis to beta test his Infernal Machine and traps a spirit. (Presumably that's the small scale version of what he wants to do with Akash'Flora.) Now's he's ready to roll.

Side note: The stuff he did in Russia and Insula Primalis sets up a disturbance in the Void. The Voidheart starts trying to break through into our reality through Vanessa Long.

BB unleashes the first strike on the Akash'Flora tree and makes sure that he sends robots to target the F5 and Argent Adept.

Unfortunately, he (once again) underestimated the heroes, and they're able (presumably) to stop the Spider Mothership before it starts whatever it was supposed to do to tap the power of the tree.

Luckily for him, the Voidheart's attack on Vanessa Long happened at just the right time, and rather than take the time to track down the source of the robots, they have to go help Visionary.

(Presumed) Blade calls in that favor to Miss Information to see if she can distract the heroes for a little while, as he needs to fire up Spider Mothership 2.0 to crank out a larger army of bots. That's what he's doing while the heroes are flying all over the world.

Just before the heroes get back to Megaopolis, he unleashes Swarm 2.0, this time without a Spider Mothership right there for the heroes to wreck. And it doesn't matter if they track the signal back to the undersea base because he has so many traps and stuff that there's No Possible Way the Freedom Five will survive this time.

Does that sound right? 

HikariStarshine
Playtester

It's probably worth noting that the Shard in Russia has been there for a *really* long time.  Like, it's specifically the Shard that was used during the Cold War to give Proletariat his powers in the first place.  So, not there because of Blade.

Not to say that its being in the reactor wasn't Blade's fault, but the Shard was already in Russia.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I think he reunited the Shard with the Power Plant. And Proletariat encounter BB. Not a long fight, but he knows he was there. 

I like this write-up, might share it with new DMs who want a cliff note of events.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

rickjonzz
rickjonzz's picture

I thought that Proletariat had sensed the disturbance from his cabin in the woods and went to check things out, arriving after Blade had left.