A few first time GM questions

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
geoff907
Playtester
A few first time GM questions

Hello!

I GM’d last night for the first time ever- and we ran the first bit of the starter kit. I ended up with a few questions that I just can’t seem to pin down in all of he forum here so I figured I would just ask;

1) Tachyon- how fast is she? If the heroes are slightly strewn out the city around freedom plaza- when she takes her turn does she just immediately get to a different location and take her action? Or is it more of a she has to take a turn and utilize her principal of speed ability to travel like that?  If it does take her a turn to travel as such- how long would it take Bunker hauling as fast as his suit can to cover the same distance? Travel time is still a big question for us...

2) Unity- How powerful is this metal control with telepathy. Can she lift a dump truck for instance? Or is it regulated to smaller sizes of metal?  I am not sure how Magneto level of metal manipulation that I want to let my player get with her.

aramis
aramis's picture

Tachyon - Yes, just about that fast. Fast enough that anywhere in scope for the scene is free movement, and off-screen, speed of plot.

Not certain on Unity - she wasn never pushed past reasonably by my players using her.

Aramis

geoff907
Playtester

I really appreciate you discussing this with me- it's been making me wonder for days now.

So ultimately- does the The Principal Of Speed Ability really become just an excuse to bag an extra hero point?  During the montage scenes I am less worried about accuracy in this regard for story telling purposes.  But in the scenario we had- the heroes chose to start the game completely strewn out from each other across the city.  When trouble hit the fan in thier multiple seperate locations- After she resolved issues in her current area, I allowed Tachyon to book it to another players location and take an action as her turn.  Since we are in an action scene does this require Tachyon to make up something along the way to overcome to bag the action point, thus utilizing her action for the turn as an overcome? Still worried I am letting her go too far- but I can get over that.  The bigger question is how long should it take a player to travel the same distance- 1st example being Bunker hauling or Unity surfboarding on a piece of scrap metal, 2nd being a hero that has no speed enhancment- so they are running at human speed?  When locked in an action scene where players might get split up- I don't want travel to take forever and become boring- but do want them to understand splitting apart comes with the risk of having to travel to get back together. So for a larger distance I am on the fence of it takes 1 turn or 2 turns en route- which could be a killer in a tight scene tracker scenario. I guess you could always send Tachyon forward and have her overcome to prevent the scene tracker while others arrived.

As for Unity I am going to sift through her SOTM deck, and research her Wiki page to see if I can come up with a feasible answer.  Unless anyone from GTG wants to ask Christopher what his thoughts are on Unity's metal control abilities? ;)

Edit: Reviewed her SOTM deck and her wiki page.  Don't see much levitating anything huge made of metal with her mind.  The largest thing I have seen her levitating is a partially contructed bot (that looks to be a bot of Grand Warlord Voss?)  The largest thing I have seen her build is a Tyrannasaurus Rex.  So from what I can get out of it- she could control a car or dump truck- but not lift one with her mind.

So far Love the system- just trying to refine things so I keep happy players.

aramis
aramis's picture

The Hero Point? 

You have to use it in an overcome. So, what is it that Tachyon is overcoming?

Well, for example, using her speed, Tachyon can carry a rope across a chasm to overcome the chasm by leaping at high speed. But she only gets to roll is the GM decides it's a move. If it's not got an interesting fail, the GM is right to say, "Ok, you're across. Now, how to you secure it so the others can cross?" 

When an Overcome can disable a power, it has to be a speed derived method to get the point.

More important, tho-  the principles all provide some sample twists. Sure, those aren't free Hero Points, but they are "Success instead of failure."

One of my tachyon players literally ran back to another scene's location to grab something tthey realized was useful - that was an overcome, due to the hazards - and got the Hero Point for principle of speed. The Twist? reduce her speed for the scene...  Or, "hinder an ally" with the partial vacuum. or "hurt self by running into thngs."

Her Speed is pretty much on par with The Flash. let the player narrate that kind of nifty. And it it's an overcome (like Flash using vibration to hide his identity), it's worth the Hero Point.

Aramis

geoff907
Playtester

When we had played the first time- I hadn't caught that it was a required overcome action so she was trying to incorporate it into everything. The second game I ran it was definitely caught and utilized correctly.  Thanks for the input- it definitely has helped my Tachyon realize those twists can be quite a double edged sword.

This last game we played Unity's metal control so that she could lift items to the equivalent of a strong human.  Once that item is in control it can do many things though- still making Unity pretty powerful!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

On Unity's ability to lift, she has made substantially large robots like the T-Rex bot. But in the comics, that seemed to have required significant effort to make something so large. In game-mechanics term, I think as GM I would make her make two Overcome roles to do it (describing scrounging the materials), and then make it a Lieutenant rather than a Minion. But that might be too generous.

aramis
aramis's picture

dpt wrote:

On Unity's ability to lift, she has made substantially large robots like the T-Rex bot. But in the comics, that seemed to have required significant effort to make something so large. In game-mechanics term, I think as GM I would make her make two Overcome roles to do it (describing scrounging the materials), and then make it a Lieutenant rather than a Minion. But that might be too generous.

looking at the auxiliary sheet... simply requiring a +4 bonus be spent to make a Lieutenant should be about equally as hard, and more in line with existing mechanic.

Or, if you want it harder, +4 bonus AND a twist. Or even +4, min die, and a twist.

Why would that be better? Because searching as an overcome is too easy a trigger of Principle of the Gearhead for my tastes. 

However, if it works for you, go with it!

Aramis

geoff907
Playtester

Excellent ideas! I think I will use them. I was just worried about the “chucking metal” when it came to size. Fabrication is another challenge I am waiting for them to start utilizing- so I will keep this for when we get there.