Crack the Case

394 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012
Crack the Case

Crack the Case is a mystery game published by Milton Bradley in 1993, and I think it might be fun to try it on the forums. Here is how it works: I will present to you a case and the mystery. Your goal is to figure out the mystery by asking yes/no questions. I will answer the questions based on the full story, but I can only give one of seven possible responses:

  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes and No
  4. Irrelevant
  5. I Don't Know
  6. Define What You Mean By...
  7. Rephrase Your Question

 

Let's start with an easy one.

 

The Case - Easy

Donald Cartwright, arrogant lawyer, is found dead in a store. The muder weapon, in plain sight, is never recovered.

 

The Mystery

Who killed Donald and how?

 


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
PlaytesterTruth Seeker
Joined: Aug 02, 2011

Was the mighty Ronway involved?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Ronway wrote:

Was the mighty Ronway involved?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Was the murder weapon unable to be moved? Either too large, fixed in place, etc.


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murder weapon unable to be moved? Either too large, fixed in place, etc.

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Was the murder weapon something that is conventionally thought of as a weapon?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murder weapon something that is conventionally thought of as a weapon?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Was the murder weapon a plant or animal?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murder weapon a plant or animal?

Define what you mean by "was" and "plant or animal."


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Was is more or less the same as is. Not implying that it changed FROM being that, just that it was at the time of the murder, which happened in the past.

 

Plant or animal... anything belonging to the plant or animal kingdoms? Edited to also include fungi. By which I mean, was he mauled by a dog, or poisoned by mushroom spores, or strangled by a vine or something.


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Was is more or less the same as is. Not implying that it changed FROM being that, just that it was at the time of the murder, which happened in the past. Plant or animal... anything belonging to the plant or animal kingdoms? Edited to also include fungi. By which I mean, was he mauled by a dog, or poisoned by mushroom spores, or strangled by a vine or something.

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

is the lawyer's being "arrogant" relevant to the case?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

is the lawyer's being "arrogant" relevant to the case?

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Is the nature of the store relevant to the case? (does it matter what kind of store it is?)


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Is the nature of the store relevant to the case? (does it matter what kind of store it is?)

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Was Donald actually murdered? (Murder being an unlawful death on purpose, accidents, suicides and other things I can't think of need not apply)


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

dpt
dpt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Aug 06, 2013

Was the store one that sells some type of plant or animal?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Matchstickman wrote:

Was Donald actually murdered? (Murder being an unlawful death on purpose, accidents, suicides and other things I can't think of need not apply)

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

dpt wrote:

Was the store one that sells some type of plant or animal?

Define what you mean by "plant or animal."


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: Apr 10, 2012

Was Donald murdered by a Client (past or present)?


Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Matchstickman wrote:

Was Donald murdered by a Client (past or present)?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Were there witnesses to the crime?

 


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Were there witnesses to the crime? 

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

was the murder premeditated?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

was the murder premeditated?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Was the murderer an employee (or owner) of the store?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Was the murderer an employee (or owner) of the store?

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Ok: theory number one.

Donald is at a pet store. He gets mad for whatever reason, and threatens to sue/shut down the store. The clerk on duty, angered or what have you, has one of the animals attack him and kill him. The animal is cleaned, put back as if nothing happened, and is never recovered as a murder weapon.


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Ok: theory number one.Donald is at a pet store. He gets mad for whatever reason, and threatens to sue/shut down the store. The clerk on duty, angered or what have you, has one of the animals attack him and kill him. The animal is cleaned, put back as if nothing happened, and is never recovered as a murder weapon.

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Were any aspects of that theory correct? (the setting, the method, the perpetrator)


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Pydro wrote:

 

McBehrer wrote:
Was is more or less the same as is. Not implying that it changed FROM being that, just that it was at the time of the murder, which happened in the past. Plant or animal... anything belonging to the plant or animal kingdoms? Edited to also include fungi. By which I mean, was he mauled by a dog, or poisoned by mushroom spores, or strangled by a vine or something.

 

Yes.

This question and answer is really bugging me, not because I asnwered it wrong, but because it might be a bit misleading. Let me reword the question and answer like this:

At the time of the murder, did the murder weapon belong to the animal, plant or fungus kindgom (as opposed to a rock or the like)? Yes.

I am not saying any more than that.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Was he killed in such a way as to leave an externally visible mark?

Followup question: if yes, was the mark left as an indicator of damage (a gash, bruise, etc. as opposed to a rash or discoloration)


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Were any aspects of that theory correct? (the setting, the method, the perpetrator)

That is part of problem of longer answers and being limited to only a few answers. You know that it was an employee or owner, but that isn't the entire "who" aspect. 

McbBehrer wrote:

put back as if nothing happened, and is never recovered as a murder weapon.

This part is correct.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Was he killed in such a way as to leave an externally visible mark?Followup question: if yes, was the mark left as an indicator of damage (a gash, bruise, etc. as opposed to a rash or discoloration)

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

Ok, then. Expounding on the perpetrator.

Was he (ignoring gender differentiation. I assume that's not relevant, for now.) a janitor?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

Ok, then. Expounding on the perpetrator.Was he (ignoring gender differentiation. I assume that's not relevant, for now.) a janitor?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

When you say animal kingdom, do you mean human?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Humble-Knight wrote:

When you say animal kingdom, do you mean human?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

phrased more concisely, was the "murder weapon" a non-human animal?


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

phrased more concisely, was the "murder weapon" a non-human animal?

Define what you mean by "animal"?


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Playtester
Joined: May 15, 2012

member of the animal kingdom. other than human.


McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

McBehrer wrote:

member of the animal kingdom. other than human.

Yes and no. (Technically, the murder weapon is from the animal kingdom, but I think it might be a little misleading.)


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

Is the victim married?


Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Nielzabub wrote:

Is the victim married?

Irrelevant.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Is the fact he is a lawyer important?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Humble-Knight wrote:

Is the fact he is a lawyer important?

Yes.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Is he a lawyer for the murderer?

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Playtester
Joined: Jan 23, 2012

Is his murderer a colleague or a lawyer he is competing with?


Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Humble-Knight wrote:

Is he a lawyer for the murderer?

Define "lawyer for".


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 48 min ago
ModeratorPlaytester
Joined: May 19, 2012

Nielzabub wrote:

Is his murderer a colleague or a lawyer he is competing with?

No.


Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 1 month ago
Joined: Feb 03, 2014

Is he representing the murderer in a law suit or legal predicament?

If not, has he in the past?

Pages